Ok..fighting the cravings

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Ok..fighting the cravings

Postby Longhorn » May 10th, 2006, 6:41 pm

Well, I am on day three and its been a rough one. Did my 5 meals and for dinner had grilled salmon with asparagus. I am very upset with the fish situation in FL. I dont really care for salmon because its very fishy and oily, although I know the omega 3 fats are great for you. But, I love Ahi Tuna steaks or swordfish. If you go 1/2 mile off the shore you can catch 3000 pounds of tuna, but you cant find good ahi steaks anywhere in west palm beach. I must seem like a nut at the end of the day. I am moody from my body adjusting to the medifast, half a beard grown right now from being off for the last week and I go wondering into a local fish store ranting about tuna. I think the guy actually thoght I was nuts. Then again, I think I may be going nuts. I was actually craving asparagus with a little salt tonight. I undercooked the fish and did not realize it until the grill had been turned off...and being a guy said oh well, and ate it anyways. I love sushi so how much different could this be. Word of advice....DO NOT EAT RAW SALMON, unless its been smoked. Does not taste that great. So, tomorrow I am on the hunt for ahi or swordfish. I dont go back to work until saterday so I should be able to find something. Ok, ranting on here has helped my cravings for bread...thanks.

Brian
Here are some pics from the beach and work. Enjoy

This picture makes me excited to loose the weight and get back on the beach with my drink...without worrying about my extra weight. I just imagine a medifast margarita :x
Longhorn

Postby falisamarie » May 10th, 2006, 6:51 pm

Brian~

I am so sorry you are having a bit of a rough time. Hang in there the cravings do pass. I found Tuna Steaks at Albertsons in the frozen fish section they were vaccumed packed individually. Also I just got the sale flyer from winn dixie and Albertsons and both have tuna steaks on sale this week for $5.99 a pound. I also saw swordfish at Albertsons in with the fresh seafood this week. Hope this helps and you are feeling better.

Rant any time you want

Lisa

PS Beautiful pic from the airplane and you could always put your MF shake in the glass on the beach for now
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby TooManyBooks » May 10th, 2006, 7:12 pm

I just imagine a medifast margarita

LOL When you dig up that recipe let us know :mrgreen:
Start date 4/6/06
TooManyBooks
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » May 10th, 2006, 7:23 pm

Hi Brian,
I've been where you are...especially at this point in the program, we want what we want and we want it now! Sorry about the salmon incident and I hope you find the ahi (yum!)

LOVE BOTH your pictures! Just think, before I started...if I took a picture like your beach one, we wouldn't have been able to see my feet let alone the lotion past my big ole' belly!

You're doing GREAT so far, and rant any time you want. We're WAY more understanding than the fish market guy, we've BEEN THERE!

Take care and let us know how that ahi turns out! Then the swordfish, sounds like some GREAT Lean and Green fish recipies are coming...

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Ct. Yankee » May 10th, 2006, 7:28 pm

Hi, Brian

Publix supermarkets have swordfish and tuna, etc. in their fresh fish section. You can also find flash frozen fish, as Lisa mentioned, at Sweetbay. It is packed by Beacon Light, and the varieties of fish are endless, tilapia, swordfish, orange roughy, tuna, salmon, etc.. Hope this helps.
Your pictures of the horizon and our beaches says it all!! Great place to live, huh?!! :D

Joan
Ct. Yankee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » May 10th, 2006, 7:47 pm

Hi, Brian ~

:wave: We're glad to lend an ear - the first few days (well, the first few weeks!) ARE a bit rough so it is okay to :x grouse a little about missing your tunie steak.

Yup, I agree with you – salmon sushi-style is yucky. :no:

You’re some kinda brave guy to eat is partially cooked. :thumbsup:

That sounds Gaggamundo to me! :puke:

:secret: I had the opposite problem last night…I had prepared two salmon filets for supper. One with a nice mild seasoning for the hubby and one with a nice blackened cajun rub for me. The Live! Chat went longer than usual last night so the husband grilled his filet and ate it without me.

A while later, he tossed mine on the barby and then went upstairs to read. I was involved in a meltdown in our office over the fact our server konked out and hadn’t realized my $7 salmon was sizzling on the patio. Terry had his beak in his book and totally :brickwall: forgot to check on the salmon.

Lemme tell ya, Bri, that filet was not only blackened, it was carmelized! It was smokin' :smoke:

There was one tablespoon of edible salmon jerky in the thickest part of the crusty salmon briquette….the rest went to the dipsy dumpster... :tears:

If I couldda grown a scruffy beard, I would have – I :heart: love salmon and had looked forward to it all day. I had a few left-over cold shrimps and cold steamed broccoli from the night before and called it supper.

Falisa already gave you some excellent suggestions for finding tuna – I’ve gotten some nice Ahi and Mahi Mahi at Trader Joe’s.

Hey, you have a lovely view all right – ALMOST makes ya look forward to going to work, eh?

About that margarita…surely someone can come up with a Medifast-legal recipe for you. You could use Lemon Lime Flavor Crystal Light or add a shot of fresh lime juice to a Cranbery Mango Fruit Drink, mix it with some seltzer and a bunch of crushed ice in the blender, salt the rim of your shaker jar (or margarita glass), fill with the slushy sourness, add a paper umbrella and enjoy it on the beach. Pretend it's a Mango Marg. ;)

Think thinny thoughts, Brian – this stuff works and with each day that passes, you’ll feel more in control and less schizoid!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » May 10th, 2006, 8:40 pm

Hang in there Brian,
It only get easier.

Love the flight pic. I LOVE to fly, but it in the comfort of my living room on my simulator.

I did have the pleasure of doing quite a bit of bush flying up in Canada. Nothing like it.

Anyhoo....one of my favorite sayings that belongs in another thread going right now.

From an old rancher who taught me all I know, I and still don't know anything.
"Dont say whoa in a bog hole"

All the best,
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Nancy » May 10th, 2006, 10:30 pm

Bri ~

Sorry, forgot to mention - if you get hungry during this first week, go ahead and have another shake (or packet of something - just not another bar). A shake adds only 100 calories and it is a balanced meal in terms of the macronutrients and it won't impede the fat-burning state.

Hangeth in there!

:secret: Unca, you cwack me up! :roflmao:

I can tell ya right now I would NOT wanna be stopping or slowing down if I were in a bog hole - they are skanky! Must have been Alf that taughtcha that, eh? It's great advice actually - sortta like the words of that great philosophers Jim Morrison of The Doors , "break on through, break on through to the other side."
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Arklahoma » May 11th, 2006, 4:28 am

Brian ~ Love the pics! When you get the MF margarita down, then I'm all ears. Hope things get better for you and you find the fish that you prefer!!!
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby pixiewhispers » May 11th, 2006, 7:00 am

Those pictures are great! Hang in there, everyone here says it only gets better.
Mamie Ann
239/234/145
pixiewhispers
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby Tiolazz » May 11th, 2006, 8:33 am

Brian,

Hope you know how lucky you are to live where you can see the ocean and buy fresh fish.

Both of those are lacking here in Dallas... LOL

Hang in there, it will get better. And when you find that fresh Swordfish, do you mind shipping a little my way. I LOVE SWORDFISH !!!

Terri
Tiolazz
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Longhorn » May 11th, 2006, 9:06 am

Well, I found the fish. Ended up with Mahi Mahi Tuna steaks. I try to get them to 6 oz but I think they are about 8 oz or so. Total purchase was for 1.1 pounds and I can use that for 2 days. I think that once they are cooked they will come down to about 6-7. So please let me know if any of the folloing is bad.

I put the fish in a zip lock with about a teaspoon of pepper and teaspoon of salt. I also put 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in there (no carbs in oil, only calories) and shake it around and let it sit for 10 min. The cook on a skillet. Once done, put about a teaspoon of 100% pure lemon jucie on it and thats it. As for the veggies, I will do about 1 cup of baby spinich with 1-2 tablespoons of blue cheese vinagerette dressing. (once again, very low carbs..2 carbs per 2 tablespoons) Mix that aroud and thats the salad. I will also cook up about 5 med spears of asparagus and cook in the left over oil from the fish and add a pinch of salt. The rest of the day I am stick with the medifast. I try to get all 5 in but sometimes only get 4 in. I am just not hungry. I am worried that the cooking part maybe too much but like I said before, I am 6'4 and around 300. I am transitioning from 4000 calorie diet to maybe 1000-1200. Any advice with the above would be great. I could eat fish and salad everday...its just what I like.

Thanks in advance

Brian
Longhorn

Postby jump4joy » May 11th, 2006, 9:45 am

Tiolazz wrote:Brian,

Hope you know how lucky you are to live where you can see the ocean and buy fresh fish.

Both of those are lacking here in Dallas... LOL

Terri

Ocean-views and fresh fish lacking in Utah too, :tears: but I can see the Great Salt Lake from my house on the eastbench. (sadly, NOT the same).
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Return to Come on in.