Exercise really DOES make a difference!

Fitness and Exercise

Exercise really DOES make a difference!

Postby Lauren » January 12th, 2006, 11:45 am

Hey, folks-

So, I train with a trainer several times a week, have been for a long time, long before MF. But when I first started MF, I took it really easy with him, trying to figure out what my body can handle. Then we started building back a bit, certainly not to the level of intensity as before MF (don't have the strength for that now!), but to a good level. I have also been walking a lot, way more than ever before.

Anyway, up until today's weigh in, I had never had a week's loss less than 3 pounds. Every week had been 3, 4, or 5+ pound weight losses, every week that I worked out, that is. Well, about a week and a half ago, I hurt my leg. Pulled or strained something, I don't know, but it didn't seem like a huge deal. Then it was. It started swelling continuously all day and night, basically since a week ago it's been swollen and painful. I finally have an appointment this afternoon with an orthopedic doctor (yippee!) to take a look at it, and hopefully will tell me that it is not a big deal. But in this last week I (obviously) have not worked out, no exercise, no walking except to and from the bathroom and necessary work stuff, and so have been REALLY sedentary.

You know what? I weighed in this morning, and I was only down 1.5 pounds. Don't get me wrong, a loss is a loss, and that's cool. And I am not super bummed about it, but I was PERFECT on the diet, so the only difference is the level of activity. My point? Exercise absolutely plays a significant role in my success.

I am sure this is totally obvious for most of you, but if there's anyone out there thinking about just doing the diet, while remaining mostly inactive, this is my little push to get you out the door!

Thanks for listening!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Exercise

Postby Jan » January 12th, 2006, 4:31 pm

Hmmmm Lauren,
Exercise is very very important. But have you thought that all that swelling is probably adding a bit to your weight. I know we all have ups and downs with fluid retention let alone an injury that is really puffing up. You just may have lost more than you think. I think when you get rid of the swelling you are going to have a very pleasant surprise :D
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Lauren » January 12th, 2006, 4:35 pm

Ha! Jan, I totally did think that, but then thought I was making excuses! It brought me back to when I was a teen at Weight Watchers, and if I didn't lose a lot (or any), I would think it was that my clothes were too heavy or too much jewelry! ;-)

I am trying to be totally accountable for everything, and not make excuses, you know? Don't want to fall back into old habits. But, I certainly agree that it's a possibility, because my leg is legitimately swollen!

Thanks for the kind words, hopefully I'll see a big drop soon!

Lauren
Lauren

swollen leg

Postby Jan » January 12th, 2006, 6:49 pm

Hi Lauren,
No excuses just the facts mam!! :D Water weight does add up. It's amazing how much it weighs.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Return to The Gymnasium