exercise questions ....

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

exercise questions ....

Postby Carrie » July 9th, 2004, 6:27 am

I'm going Monday to sign up and do my actual FIRST workout in years. I'm going to a place similar to curves, but this one has 2 circuits - one for cardio, one for strength - AND they have a dry sauna - which I've decided will be my treat for making it through the workout. Each circuit is about 20 minutes.

Has anyone else here started exercising while on Medifast, when you weren't exercising before? I don't know if at that level I need to have an extra shake or not? Also - does it do any good to only go 3x a week, or should I just start out at more than that?

I'm hoping some of you will have some experience with this that you can impart and I can learn from. In my mind this is 'phase 2', and I want to try and cultivate a positive attitude towards exercising. Anybody got any tips? Thanks!

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby explorthis » July 9th, 2004, 7:25 am

cultivate a positive attitude towards exercising

NEVER have I been an exerciser! Doubt I will ever become one. However, I did implement a twice a day walking regimen. At work, M-F with a friend of mine, I walk 4/10th (8/10th round trip) around the perimeter of our building 2 times a day. So at least I am getting 1.6 miles min a day. We walk at an increased pace, intentionally. At first, it was sort of a forced walk, then it became, somewhat of a “want to go” We go at 10:00am and 3:00pm. Now It’s an “I look forward to it” twice a day thing. I have this internal clock built in (don’t ask me how) but just at about 10 and 3, my clock goes off telling me it’s time. If I am 2 minutes late, I am getting the “we walking or what” call. Believe it or not, I do look forward to these.

Most of you know my Mom, and the fact she lost some serious tonnage also, I think it was in the high 60’s or low 70’s. I know she is in her low 130’s now, at 65, tells me she feels better than she can ever remember in her adult life. She lives in the mountains, and says she hikes, and jogs at least 2 miles every day, says she is more active than she has ever been in her life. Why does she do it, and I do not? Beats me.

Now, do I personally feel exercise is important? Yes, but, yes, but, yes, but, (all these buts is probably why I had a butt) I am lazy. I could probably implement a regular exercise pattern, and incorporate weights, and running etc into my daily, but I will be the first to admit, I am pure lazy. I know if I did, things would happen. I know I would be able to eat many more calories than I am already consuming (about 1500 a day) I know the remaining skin I have would tighten up more. I dunno, I am lazy, and the lazy part of me is a little stronger than the exercise part of me. I know I should, but, but, but, but I cannot (or I guess I will not) get off the dime. It’s been about 7 months since I lost the weight, and I still just will not get off the dime.

I am strong. I have always been strong. My legs and arms are muscular. I actually have a semi-6-pack on my ab’s. How? You might have read before, I walked from teen-hood with my stomach sucked in, everywhere I went, trying (now I am laughing – looking back) to appear thin. Sort of like wearing 5 sizes too big black clothing to overcompensate for my size? Well, this walking – stomach sucked in, did work all these years. I can tense my stomach up, and actually allow someone to punch me, it’s hard! Funny thing now, I cannot walk without my stomach pulled in even today. I don’t have the gut I used to. I even attempt sometimes to relax and walk, and cannot! I stand; I (without even thinking) tense it up, and walk!

So, I know exercise works, but why won’t I incorporate more? Why can’t I (as Carrie says) cultivate a positive attitude towards exercising, or why won’t I?

If you know the answer, let me know.

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby gerimarc » July 9th, 2004, 12:22 pm

The first few weeks I didn't exercise. My doctor said to hold off. After about three weeks I went back to Liberty Fitness (same as Curves). I try to go three times a week. I usually do this on my lunch hour. I like this as it is a form of disciplined exercise routine. If I say I'm going to walk when I get home from work, I usually don't. I don't have time in the morning, as I have to be in to work by 8 AM and I get up at 5 AM as it is. This place is right by my office. I think the exercise helps, especially when I get a stall in my weight loss, which I'm at now.
Depending on the intensity of the workout I do at Liberty, I sometimes will add an extra shake.

Gerimarc
214/190/160
started April 2004
gerimarc

Postby Echo » July 10th, 2004, 8:46 pm

I've worked out since way before medifast but still managed to gain weight. If I were just starting a program I would begin at 3x/week, that is the minimum. Don't try to overdo it. I go to a health club with classes, pools, cardio, etc and I love the eliptical machine, that is no impact cardio and it's great.

I have also been doing pilates (ria does them too :) and Mike, you have been doing one of the pilates ab exercises for years and didn't even know it! No wonder you have a semi-sixpack.

One of the easier pilates exercises for the abs is just what Mike was doing, draw your abs in, imagine pulling everything up (if that makes sense) hold it, then relax. Another is picturing a clock on your abdomen, 12:00 is at the top of your abs over your belly button, 6:00 just above your pubic bone, 3:00 over the left hip, 9:00 over the right hip...now, going clockwise, contract 12:00 and hold for 10 seconds (don't forget to breathe!), release, then move on to 3:00, go around the clock a few times, then go counter clockwise. You can do these anywhere! In the checkout line, driving the car, waiting for your mf shake in the blender.

Well, try that, take care you all. The hard drive in my laptop died (one week after my warantee expired) so I will be on when I can.
Echo
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Ria » July 11th, 2004, 7:11 am

Hello Carrie,

I swear by exercise. Like Echo I have been working out lonnnng before Medifast but without the results that I am seeing now. Thats mostly because my eating was out of whack. You will be very pleasantly surprised by what you see on both the scale and in inches after a couple of weeks.

Since this is your first time back to exercise in years break yourself back in gently and gradually. Your stamina will build up a little each time. In Week 1, I would begin my walking briskly for 20mins a day and one pilates session. Pilates is sooooo good and you are use your own bodyweight for resistance, this makes your muscles long and lean:-) Not to mention you see results to your abdominal area after only a couple days. Then in Week 2 you walk for 3 days @ 20mins and 1 pilates/body sculpting session and so on.

Good Luck! :cleader:
Ria
Ria
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby Carrie » July 12th, 2004, 5:09 am

Ok.....what is this pilates youall are talking about? I've been looking for something I can do at home - and since I live in a third floor apt I can't be doing a dance aerobics tape - I wind up in my 2nd floor neighbors apt - does pilates have jumping around?
Carrie

Postby Ria » July 12th, 2004, 7:12 am

Carrie you made me laugh :D :D :D . Fortunately, pilates is not jumping around. If you have cable TV the fitness channel has some very good workout session by Sharon Mann who comes on at 830pm EST M-F (check the days when she does low impact/pilates). Her workouts are awesome. You can also get a beginner pilates tape to learn the basics. But I promise there is no jumping around :D :exercise:
Ria
Ria
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby Echo » July 12th, 2004, 5:22 pm

I have the winsor pilates cd's, they are great. The health club I go to also has a pilates class, but I miss those sometimes cause of work. I really prefer doing it at home so if I whine and look silly, only my cats see.
Echo

Postby Carrie » July 13th, 2004, 5:54 am

Well guys, I ordered the same ones Echo has - I like the idea of being able to do something at home on days when I can't get to the other side of the island, and the 'no jumping around' specification seems to be met by pilates, so I'm giving it a whirl. I do think I'll still join the girls only workout place, so that I have an option. Now, I've planned it all out, set it all up, and all I need to do now is drag my resisting butt over there and start. I'm trying really hard to get a good attitude about it, but so far I just still feel like I'm going to the dentist for a root canal. Guess I'll have to get over it and just do it.
Carrie

Postby Nancy » July 14th, 2004, 12:26 am

You have all given excellent advice. Start of slowly - three times a week initially is a great plan. Yes, have an extra shake - sandwich exercise between a shake and bar, if needed.

Toning and tightening are always good for ya
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Echo » July 14th, 2004, 10:03 am

did she say sandwich? I'm feeling weak today. :( don't say the 's' word.
Echo

Postby Nancy » July 14th, 2004, 10:49 pm

Echo ~

Uh, gulp! Sorry about using that :twisted: 's' :twisted: word...

:shock: oh, no! I said 'gulp!'

Hmmm...let's just say that it is good to have some nutrition prior to a workout and shortly after a workout.

How's that, Little darlin'? :lol: ;)
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby elle4nelly » July 20th, 2004, 11:08 am

Carrie?

You can never ever go wrong by exercisingregularly!
This shouldn't even be about medifast but about healthy living period! I might wonder off Medifast but I never sway from exercising. I cannot even imagine going 2 days in a row without. Not getting exercise simply isn't an option for me. On medifast I have reduced it to an intense 45 minutes versus the 1.5 hours I used to do in the past.
Exercise is good for you now, and it will be good for you when you're done losing your weight. Better pick up the habit now, it wil make it easier for you to keep the weight off. Start easy...brisk walks on the machines and light resistance training....Keep it simple and you'l feel good about yourself.

Nelly
Final Restart on Dec 18th
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Postby Carrie » July 20th, 2004, 11:33 am

Hey There Nelly,
I wish I had your attitude about it. Somehow exercising has become about as appealing as having oral surgery. I know this is all going to sound very foolish, but I'm dragging myself via little bitty steps in the right direction. I got the Pilates DVD's, but the band hasn't come yet, and last night I taped a pilates show from TV. Eventually I'll run out of little preparatory things to do and will have to just start exercising! I've done this before, stalled as long as possible about something I didn't really want to do, but I'm running out of ways to procrastinate. Just like I ran out of ways to procrastinate about going on a diet!
Carrie
Carrie

Postby elle4nelly » July 20th, 2004, 11:49 am

Hi Carrie!

You'll find the exercise that makes you feel best. Some swear by pilate. Some like to bike, some like to run and some like to walk.
If you keep it simple, like Mike said..you'll look forward to it.
Get a walkman or portable CD player. Get a cd you really really like..whose music is set to a semi t- faster beat. Put on a tshirt and sweat or short and just go strolling real fast for 15 minutes..then turn around and get batck home. or get on a threadmill for 30 minutes while listening to a Cd you love.
Carrie, I promise you...you won't even feel the 30 minutes going by...the thing about exercise is...trust me...it's adictive! Do it regularly and your body craves it!!!!!!!!!!! No joke!! It's like your body knows you should be exercising and you feel the urge.
My advice is to start with something very simple. walking to music you like at a pace that is faster than usual...once you do that for 3-4 weeks...you can move to more complex stuff like pilate, or eliptical machines...and etc... you'll look forward to trying new stuff...start buying magasine like "shape" and "Mind body and spirit"..they have toning exercises galore...read the health articles and my favorites...are the sucess stories in them...

you know...I really wish I had the tenacity and drive to stick 100% to medifast as I do with my exercise....
I'd be at goal and looking reall buff and tone!!
HUGHH!!!! :roll:
Final Restart on Dec 18th
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Next

Return to Weight Loss