Exercise!!

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Exercise!!

Postby Jeanette » March 1st, 2004, 11:07 am

Just curious: What type of exercise is everyone doing?

I go to Curves a minimum of 3 times per week, and try to walk on alternate days.

DISCLAIMER: Those of you within the first 2-3 weeks of the program should be more cautious when working out--your body needs time to adjust to the lower calories.
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby shineface » March 1st, 2004, 2:24 pm

Hi Jeanette--

I have never been any kind of an excercizer --- and so that about wraps it up for me --- I'm not doing any kind of excercise at the moment.

I am very impressed with your schedule and what you are doing - I get tired just thinking about it ---- and maybe that has been my problem up until now - just too tired and uncomfortable to excercise. Not an excuse - just the truth.

I am losing this weight for the last time on MF. I am concentrating on drinking my water, eating my suppls and shakin' --- frankly, that's about all I can handle right now. I do know that I look forward to the day I can begin to take walks for excercise and my health - I'd like to go to an excercise class to see what it will feel like not to stand out in the crowd as the biggest one in the room - so red in the face that they want to call 911.

I avidly read the posts on this forum (as I think we all do) and I pray that I will be able to physically handle the weight loss as well as Nancy did without excercise during the Loss period ... I worry about flabby leftovers --- but you know what ? Right now I'm doing everything I can and I have no doubt when my body is ready I will be able to join you and others with a regular excercise routine --- I look forward to it AND I so admire your efforts and it helps me to hear about your decisions and progress!!!

Like you I will lose well over 100 lbs. - one pound at a time - one decision at a time -through the help of God and MF and especially this forum I know I will do it this FINAL time.

Sorry for rambles but the whole excercise thing has been on my mind a lot this week and your post helped.

WE WILL do this together!!!!!
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Jeanette » March 1st, 2004, 2:39 pm

shineface wrote:I am losing this weight for the last time on MF. I am concentrating on drinking my water, eating my suppls and shakin' --- frankly, that's about all I can handle right now. I do know that I look forward to the day I can begin to take walks for excercise and my health -

I am glad to see you be so honest about this. I was beginning to wonder why no one was answering the post!

"The journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step"--so does an exercise program. Start out walking for 10 minutes for a week, then increase it to 15, 30 and so on. Before you know it, those walks will be part of your daily life!

Eventually on Medifast, you will have so much energy you'll need to burn it off somehow! :) AND--doing aerobic activity will help you lose quicker!

Do what you think is best for you, but believe me, you will feel the benefits of Medifast double if you add exercise in the mix!
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette

Postby explorthis » March 1st, 2004, 4:37 pm

shineface wrote:I have never been any kind of an excercizer --- and so that about wraps it up for me

I am very impressed with your schedule and what you are doing - I get tired just thinking about it

I am losing this weight for the last time on MF

I gotta ditto what the shiner say's.. I have never been an excercizer, nor am I planning on beginning now. I am real lazy, and it's pretty obvious I have not ever, as I was well over 100# overweight. NOW - I still do not consider my daily regimine excercize, but 2 times a day, me and my (hate to call him this) diet buddy - diet dude - w-h-a-t-e-v-e-r... we walk around my building here at work, which is probably 1/2 mile total. We do it in the AM and the PM for breaks, and a semi-brisk pace. I do look forward to these. I get some lawn mowing and car washing excercize on the weekends (yawn) but I am like the shiner, impressed w/Jeanettes schedule, but its just not for me.

I have not taken a Medifast suppliment in about 6+ weeks. I must be doing something right, I am not gaining anything, but still losing at a progressive slow rate. I see myself maybe dumping a pound or 10 more at the max, till I am done. Happens, it happens. If it does not, then so be it. I AIN'T ever gaining it back, excercize or not.

I have always been healthy (a fat healthy if you can understand) and have never had trouble "keeping" up with the standard guy. I am very strong, and in my eyes, though I still have a few that I could probably lose, am pretty fit - if I do say so myself.

Maybe later, but for now, this is about all I can muster up.

I do have some pretty muscular fingers from all this typing though.. 1-2-3 up-down-up-down Yup, flexing them now, you would be in awe...

-Mike
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Indigo » March 1st, 2004, 5:33 pm

One of the final deciding reasons that I started Medifast is that my feet hurt- the tendons were just too tired from carrying all that weight- I have a tendency to flat feet and they just gave out.
They still hurt, but when I get more weight off, I want to start walking again. I LOVE walking! I was up to 45 minutes at a pretty good pace before I put all this weight on. The fresh air felt great, and getting the blood pumping was really good for my skin/complexion- that fresh glow thing :)
I want to get back to that. . . . one of my goals. As soon as my feet can handle it, I'm starting walking again.
Laurie
2/14/04~ :heart:
247/222.4/150, ~modifasting~
Indigo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Jims Chick » March 1st, 2004, 7:43 pm

We bought a treadmill last month....and then a tv and and a dvd player for the garage. I get up at 4 am and walk for an hour during the week...and watch the beginning of a movie one day and the end the next. Sometimes I can't wait till the next day to watch the end of my movie I'll walk for an hour when the family is eating something good for dinner! I walk for 2 hours on Saturdays and Sundays....or the length of a movie. It's been kind of cool the way it worked out, I get to see tons of movies I have missed...or would otherwise not have time to see....and my time flies when it's a good flick. Unfortunately I watched Matchstick Men Sunday and thought the dang movie would never end...it was the longest walk of my life. I get it between 2 and 2 1/2 miles on week days if I walk once...and a whopping 6 miles each saturday and sunday.......It works for me...and that's what matters!!
:coach: :weightlift: :whip:
Julie
"I can do all things through Christ"

Start Date: January 10, 2004
243.5 / 218 / 140
25.5 pounds gone forever
Jims Chick
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby ErikaEastwood » March 1st, 2004, 8:08 pm

My mom asked me if I wanted to walk this weekend and she likes to walk about 2-miles on this trail she always goes to and I actually started walking on it last summer but I never seen any weight loss. Im sure it was because I was not cutting back on the calories and still consuming more than my body could burn off. Ill see how it works this go around! :-P
ErikaEastwood
Regular Member - #30 Club

Postby Maggie » March 1st, 2004, 9:13 pm

Julie and Jeanette.......I am impressed with your exercise schedules. I have not yet started an exercise program. I have many reasons(excuses) but procrastination is my biggest enemy. I do plan to start exercising. I know that it will help with my weight loss. I know that it will make me feel better. I know that it will help the circulation in my legs. I know that it will help strengthen my heart and lungs. I know all these things but somehow I just can't motivate myself to get started. I have several exercise tapes and I would love to start taking walks. Just walking across the room is painful right now so I guess that is one of the reasons I have put it off. But I can tell you that I have been moving more. I have more energy and I find myself doing more housework, vacuuming, dusting, deep cleaning. All jobs that I usually put off as long as I can. So, I promise one day soon to get organized and work it into my 'busy' schedule. Thanks for inspiring me. Maggie
Maggie

Postby elle4nelly » March 19th, 2004, 2:07 pm

Before Medifast..I was doing 5 hours or cardio and 3 of weight lifting each week. This plan is too low in the calories department. I've opted to exercise little or not at all. When I reach goal...I'll go back to my 5 hours a week of cardio+3 hours of weight lifting.
right now...I'm letting the weight come off on its own.

nelly
Final Restart on Dec 18th
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Postby HD » March 19th, 2004, 2:33 pm

Ok, here goes. I started out going at warp speed on the treadmill but quickly found out that my old body wasn't ready for that yet so after a brief fussing out from Nancy :oops: I slowed down to 30 min a day. I also do 3 to 4 min on the AB swing to help the belly. I use to go to the gym 2 hours a day and I refuse to go back to that life!
I too had some serious problems with the feet and legs but since I've started walking on the treadmill I can now walk with no problems. I always feel better after I've done the walking and on those nights when I get a bit hungry then the treadmill has become my haven.
Jeanette, when I first started I could only do about 5 min. and gradually had to build up to 30 min. I can tell you this, It has helped my legs and feet so much that I feel like a new person as well as knowing that I won't be left behind again when it comes time to walk the granbabies to the park! Walk if you can,even if it's only for a few minutes a day. It will be well worth it. A minute a day will soon build to 5 then 10 and WOW what a difference!
Jackie (HD)

01/24/2004
193/151/124
HD
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby elle4nelly » March 19th, 2004, 2:37 pm

By the way jeanette...what exactly is curves??

My understanding is that it's a 30 minutes workout...like ...do you move from station to station alternating between cardio and strengh training..or do you just pick what you want to use for 30 minutes. I'm curious about this....if it's a circuit type of workout it seems like it would give you an overall body conditioning without it being too strainuous.....and that would be good on Medifast...
Final Restart on Dec 18th
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Postby Carrie » March 19th, 2004, 2:40 pm

I looked into once and it said something about a $149 start up fee, so I didn't pursue it, but one of my girlfriends said she didn't have a start up fee at all, so I guess maybe when it's time I'll check back into it again.

I think it's a strength workout, but fast paced to provide cardio too..... but I'm sure Jeanette can answer that part better than I can.
Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Jeanette » March 19th, 2004, 2:55 pm

Here's a link about Curves: www.curvesinternational.com

It is a combination weight training/aerobic workout done in approx 30 minutes. It costs $29 a month here in Indy, and it is worth every penny to me. I am so much more flexible than I have ever been!

If you can afford it, it is a good way to get in your exercise with good results!
(340) 325/300/180
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette

The "E" Word

Postby MamaD » March 21st, 2004, 7:00 am

I have not started exercising yet...again.... I am like Dr. Mike...I hate it. I hate to sweat, I hate to hurt...and I hate goign to the gym with all those skinny teenagers....

BUT---(and I do have a big one...)

My doc, who is monitoring me on the MF...is all about weight training for people "my (50) age" (oh geez...now I am one of THEM). It is not about bulking up, it is about building up your muscles to burn more fat. He says, and I did this the last time and it really did work, that you should do interval weight training 3 times a week. He does not like a lot of cardio when you are only taking in 3 calories a day...and says that the life long effects of building strong muscles to support our poor brittle bones is the way to go. I have a membership at the local Y and they have all the circuit training, and trainers and everything..and it really is pretty cheap. I think that we pay 44.00 a month for the entire family.

I also like the eliptical walker. .....well I like it as much as I like a stick in the eye, but I do see how this benefits my poor old body. It is that funny looking thing that you push round and round on. The best news about this is that there is no pounding on your feet or joints. I have a calcified toe--- don't ask...only me..... and there is no pain ---- I only do a few minutes on this, when I AM exercising, and it seems to loosen everything up. It is not as easy as the threadmill, but it is better for me.

I am goign to start back at the Y tomorrow but I think that I am just going to do the weights..once my little chubby body gets used to the exercise again I will do the roundy round thing.
MamaD
Trusted Member

Postby Jeanette » March 21st, 2004, 7:57 am

For me, this is what I get out of exercising daily:

--less hunger
--more stamina
--better sleep
--more flexibility (I can tie my shoes without grunting!)
--less flabby arms and thighs (although this will take awhile!)
--just generally, overall FEEL better!!
(340) 325/300/180
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette

Next

Return to Weight Loss