Dry Skin

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Dry Skin

Postby cute » April 14th, 2007, 11:30 am

Hi, I'm new to Medifast and have been doing it for about a week. The last couple days the skin on my face and neck is peeling and itchy. I am wondering if this could be related to the diet or not. Anyone else have this problem and/or a solution? Thanks!
cute

Postby Nancy » April 14th, 2007, 2:44 pm

Hi there, Cute ~

Since you are just in the beginning stage here, it is most likely due to detoxification - the meal replacements are high in protein and have an excellent supply of nutrients. There are times some people experience some breakouts or itchy skin during the initial week or two. Most of us do not have it happen but when it does, it can feel like a major irritant.

It is really important to drink a lot of water - it will help to flush the toxins out of your system. Medifast is somewhat dehydrating so slurp that water!

Use a mild moisturizing lotion such as Eucerin. It will get better. Do not give up! If you have some itchies, a couple Benadryl tablets every 4-6 hours can help to keep the itches away - after a few days or a week or so, it goes away. Promise...
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby cute » April 14th, 2007, 4:35 pm

I so appreciate that information. I'm starting to itch all over. I've been drinking a ton of water and in the bathroom all the time.

It's a relief knowing it'll go away!
cute

Postby Nancy » April 14th, 2007, 5:09 pm

I'm so sorry you've got itchytitis; dang! that's miserable! it is temporary. as you scratch, think of me; I've got chronic hives - the result of an autoimmune disorder (not a result of Medifast; have had it for years.). Benadryl is very effective in relieving your problem; it is a temporary situation. Benadryl can make ya snooze but ifyou do not give up, you'll be thinner and so happy ya toughed it out. take care and Take Shape!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby cute » April 15th, 2007, 9:36 am

How temporary do you think this is? I have to go back to work tomorrow after being off for 2 weeks. I'm not ready to tell anyone I'm on this diet. The scaling on my face is pretty noticeable.

Last night I had a big slip up too. Between the dry scaling, hunger and just some doubt I strayed from the Medifast. I had a MAJOR craving for Mac and Cheese. My family was gone. In the past, when they are gone, I EAT. I drove to the store to get Kraft Deluxe Sharp Cheddar. The only thing that would suffice me. Cooked up the whole box and ate most of it. It was sure better than that last supplement.

Ok, I'm back on track today. I still lost 2 pounds over the last 4 days, so that is encouraging. I am doubting whether this much protein is harmful and causing my dry skin. I noticed my feet and hands look dehydrated. No matter how much water I drink I can't seem to get it under control.
cute

Postby Nancy » April 15th, 2007, 10:14 am

Cute -

It's difficult to predict how long it will last; most never have it. I haven't had very many people experience it. It is never pleasant having skin eruptions but please know it shall not be forever. Don't give up; once you get through the first few days into the fat-burning state, your clothes becoming looser and see the scale movin' on down,
it will be worth this temporary rough patch. Hangeth in there!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2007, 12:03 pm

Hi Cute!

I've experienced dry skin. I had dry patches on my face, in the middle of my fore head, around my ears, and very dry skin on my hands and feet, and a flaky scalp. I think it is due the detoxificaiton, like Nancy said, and the low amount of fat we are taking in. When your body has been used to heaps of fat in the diet, and then it is taken away, your body reacts accordingly. It took about a month for my body to ajust.

The flaky, itchy skin is a very small price to pay for the pounds that will melt off. I would take it any day over the 40 pounds I've quickly lost. Just moisturize with a good lotion and drink lots of water!

No matter what you do, don't cheat. You're body will become confused when you cheat and won't stay in the fat burning state. Like Serendipity says, "You have to make up your mind, and just do it." You will be happy you did!

Good luck and keep shakin'! :cheermed:

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2007, 12:05 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hi Cute!

I've experienced dry skin. I had dry patches on my face, in the middle of my fore head, around my ears, and very dry skin on my hands and feet, and a flaky scalp. I think it is due the detoxificaiton, like Nancy said, and the low amount of fat we are taking in. When your body has been used to heaps of fat in the diet, and then it is taken away, your body reacts accordingly. It took about a month for my body to ajust.

The flaky, itchy skin is a very small price to pay for the pounds that will melt off. I would take it any day over the 40 pounds I've quickly lost. Just moisturize with a good lotion and drink lots of water!

No matter what you do, don't cheat. You're body will become confused when you cheat and won't stay in the fat burning state. Like Serendipity says, "You have to make up your mind, and just do it." You will be happy you did!

Good luck and keep shakin'! :cheermed:

This is hulagirl by the way! Somehow I wasn't logged in!

Postby JonnaD » April 16th, 2007, 6:11 am

Cute, if you haven't already, hop over to the studio and check out hulagirl's before and afters. They are great motivators for staying on program. :whoohoo:

Sorry you are having problems. Have you tried taking Omega 3 fish oil capsules? There are some good ones out there with no fishy after taste. That's what my doctor reccomended. Maybe they'll help you, too.
Jonna
Working on learning patience - I want to be thin and I want it NOW!
JonnaD
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby hulagirlfromhawaii » April 16th, 2007, 4:46 pm

JonnaD wrote:Cute, if you haven't already, hop over to the studio and check out hulagirl's before and afters. They are great motivators for staying on program. :whoohoo:

Aww, thanks JonnaD! That's exactly what I do too. I go to the studio when I get discouraged or feel like cheating. I look at Serendipity, Lauren, Biki etc.... The proof is in the pictures of what MF can do if you stick to it!! I love it! :goteam:
Kanani

165/146.5/125
hulagirlfromhawaii
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby bikipatra » April 17th, 2007, 4:39 am

hulagirlfromhawaii wrote:
JonnaD wrote:Cute, if you haven't already, hop over to the studio and check out hulagirl's before and afters. They are great motivators for staying on program. :whoohoo:

Aww, thanks JonnaD! That's exactly what I do too. I go to the studio when I get discouraged or feel like cheating. I look at Serendipity, Lauren, Biki etc.... The proof is in the pictures of what MF can do if you stick to it!! I love it! :goteam:

What a compliment to be included in that sentence! I know you meant others too but I still felt honored!
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby hulagirlfromhawaii » April 18th, 2007, 12:12 pm

bikipatra wrote:What a compliment to be included in that sentence! I know you meant others too but I still felt honored!

Of course Biki! You are included because of your committment to the plan.. Look at your results! You 3 are my heroes!! :mrgreen:
Kanani

165/146.5/125
hulagirlfromhawaii
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby bikipatra » April 18th, 2007, 2:08 pm

hulagirlfromhawaii wrote:
bikipatra wrote:What a compliment to be included in that sentence! I know you meant others too but I still felt honored!

Of course Biki! You are included because of your committment to the plan.. Look at your results! You 3 are my heroes!! :mrgreen:

Thanks! 8)
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Return to Come on in.