Dry lips and metallic taste

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Dry lips and metallic taste

Postby worldawind » May 7th, 2007, 10:02 am

I went to the doctor and waiting for the results but I was curious, I know people mention dry skin and hair, not my problem but I have a terrible dryness around the inside of my lips and an awful metallic taste for the past two weeks. The doctor took blood and said he was going to taste for deficiencies but I was curious if anyone else had this symptoms and if so how long they lasted.

Thanks.

I'm loving this program but this is very uncomfortable.
Started: Feb. 20, 2007
worldawind
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby bikipatra » May 7th, 2007, 10:08 am

I wake up with a very dry mouth, so dry words sound funny until I drink some water. But I take so many meds I don't know what to attribute it to.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Mike » May 7th, 2007, 10:12 am

Dry lips may be due to need for more water (also possibly loss of sodium).
As for the metallic taste... found this on the medifast site in the FAQ's - Possible Side Effects

Bad Breath
Some individuals may complain of bad breath or a funny taste in their mouth
(usually referred to as a sweet or metallic taste). This is a result of being in the fat-burning state.
• Individuals can use up to 5 pieces of either sugar-free gum or mints to
help get rid of the taste
• Sugar-free Listerine strips may help
• Make sure to brush teeth well

Hope all the labs come out okay.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby Guest » May 7th, 2007, 11:29 am

Thanks. I figured it was probably due to the program but it's not comfortable. I hope the taste goes away but it makes everything taste lousy. If the blood tests all come back o.k. I'm just going to forget about it and not pursue anything else.

Re: Dry lips and metallic taste

Postby Sojourner » May 7th, 2007, 4:32 pm

worldawind wrote:The doctor took blood and said he was going to taste for deficiencies...

I don't have anything to add, worldawind, I just thought this was kinda' funny! ;)
~*~*~*Sojourner*~*~*~

Shake it gone, babeee!!!
Sojourner
Preferred member

Postby KellyC » May 7th, 2007, 6:59 pm

I have the metallic taste as well, and if I don't have water near by almost all the time, I find I get very thirsty.

I don't know about the dry lips exactly, but I do have the worst chapped lips I think I've ever had. I've gone through 2 tins of Burt's Bee's already trying to heal. :(
KellyC
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby DonicaB » May 7th, 2007, 7:19 pm

I've been complaining to my DH that my breath has been really bad lately. I noticed I have been chewing more gum. I figured it had something to do with being in a fat-burning mode. That's good......but the breath is really bad. It's been better the past few days. But, does that mean I'm not burning as much fat now????? :roll:

Donica
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby worldawind » May 8th, 2007, 7:39 am

I'm not sure what it really means. I'm suppose to get some results back on Wednesday but I think it has to be diet related since I didn't have a problem before. He also suggested I take a colonoscopy which I will do when I get back from vacation. Now my tongue is being affected and I'm not sure what the heck is going on. It could have nothing to do with the mf program but you know when you do something new and a problem arises you kind of think it might have something to do with it.

I'll let you know what happens on Wednesday. Some of the results will be back.

I'm down another 1.6 so I'm really happy with the program.
worldawind

Postby bikipatra » May 8th, 2007, 7:46 am

Sorry about the colonoscopy. They are so not fun. They knock you out before/during the procedure with Demerol. The worse part is the liquid diet two days before than having to drink this disgusting tasting laxative to completely clean you out. You have to stay awfully close to a toilet. I woke up during mine and started pulling on the tube (a natural reaction)and they knocked me out again but they couldn't finish so then they gave me a barium enema the same day. I am still traumatized. Sorry to make it sound so bad. Mine was an extreme experience. It is an easier procedure these days and they don't have to use so much tubing. You should be fine.
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Serendipity » May 8th, 2007, 7:52 am

Ouch! My dignity hurts just thinking about that! I've been putting mine off for ohhhhhh about 4 months now. Just gotta bite the bullet and get it done, I spose.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby bikipatra » May 8th, 2007, 8:41 am

Serendipity wrote:Ouch! My dignity hurts just thinking about that! I've been putting mine off for ohhhhhh about 4 months now. Just gotta bite the bullet and get it done, I spose.

Mine was an extreme case and except for the laxative part which is just gross (no getting around it-you have to be empty) it is a routine procedure for most.
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby worldawind » May 8th, 2007, 9:41 am

I know it's horrible, my husband had one and had a problem. The bad part is I work I can't afford to take off two days before because I have to be by a bathroom before they can do it. this is why I haven't had it done. I'm going to try to find someone who will schedule the actual procedure for a Sat. or Sun and then I'll only have to lose one day of work. I'm 58 and I should have had it years ago but I decided it's time.
worldawind

Re: Dry lips and metallic taste

Postby Elizabeth » May 8th, 2007, 10:30 am

Sojourner wrote:
worldawind wrote:The doctor took blood and said he was going to taste for deficiencies...

I don't have anything to add, worldawind, I just thought this was kinda' funny! ;)

Hehe! This is what I read too :) Sicko doc!
Elizabeth
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Return to Come on in.