Dealing with Temptation

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Dealing with Temptation

Postby bk » May 27th, 2005, 9:34 am

This is a reply to Nancy's (OregonRose) post here:
http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/diet-2874.html

oregonrose wrote::( had a lapse last nite. hot and tired and frustrated about math class I came home and ate about 10 pieces of hersheys treasures. got to get them out of the house. sent the almonds to school with my son, there goes another temptation. I had been doing so good! it seems that as soon as i start to see myself as successful I have to sabotage myself. why do we do that? back on program today, thanks for listening, just wanted to vent and come clean. nancy

Thought I'd put it in a new topic to make things easier to find.

I'm sorry you had such a hard time. Do you have success in a shaker jar? I think it might have some tips for those times when you feel like eating. Temptation is hard, but I don't think it's supposed to be easy! Have you thought about writing a list of other things to do when you're feeling weak?

Tips for dealing with temptation
Number one tip: come here! When you even feel that urge, log on the boards and start reading! Don't let yourself think about that food. Yes, it's good to get it out of the house if it throws you, but at some point you ARE going to have to deal with having bad days and having food around that you shouldn't eat.

Do something else!

Eat a pickle! Have a fastsoup. Have another supplement if necessary.

Write a list of 100 reasons why you want to lose weight.

Think of the fun times with your husband you'll have after the weight is gone. :twisted:

Play with your kids.

Look at fat pictures.

Read a book

Go for a walk.

Put in a fun CD & dance.

Call up an old friend and get reacquainted.

Take a bubble bath.

Go get a pedicure.

Glug down a big old glass of water.

Have a conversation with yourself about WHY you feel you want to go off program. Listen to your own emotions, and deal with them rationally. Do you think you're going to fail? The weight will come off with Medifast, if you stick to it. Afraid of your new body image? You will have to become friends with your new body. It's scary, but exciting, too.

I guarantee if you feel tempted and start doing one of these things, the urge will pass.

Other questions to ask yourself
Have you been licking & tasting? If so, that may have been what led you to the actual eating.

Have you been missing your supplements or going too long in between?

Are you having gastric distress (like a feeling of hungry/rumbly tummy)? A pepcid or other acid blocker may be in order.

IF YOU SCREW UP, KEEP ON SHAKING. That's number one. Move on, get back on program, and then when you're far enough psychologically from the incident, try to understand the reasons why you went off program. Don't beat yourself up, but learn from it!

There have been many times when I've thought about eating something and going off program. Reviewing these things (well, except the parts about the husband & kids!) in my head have really helped. I told myself when I started this thing that I didn't want to be fat one more day than I had to be. I promised myself that it WOULD work, and it has!

I'm hoping that others will have tips & suggestions and we can make one big long post that people can visit when they feel they aren't up to the challenge. We are ALL here for you, Nancy!

And just think - if you had done this before, *would* you have sent off the rest with your son to school? Or would you have screw it, I'm eating the rest? That's a success to not have done that!
bk
Preferred Member - #50 Club

thanks

Postby oregonrose » May 27th, 2005, 10:59 am

I knew that posting was the right thing to do. I'm so glad I did. you are so kind. You gave me some great ideas. another one I use is to just go to bed-- even if I am watching tv i'm still less likeley to get up. I am back on program today-- -- We can get through this together! I should have gone on to the site and read encouraging messages. You folks are the best! nancy :cheermed:
Knowledge is power
oregonrose
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby bk » May 27th, 2005, 11:54 am

Going to bed is another great one! I'm proud of you for hopping back on!!!!
bk

print

Postby oregonrose » May 27th, 2005, 12:01 pm

I'm going to print your great suggestions and support.
Knowledge is power
oregonrose

Postby dlr2424 » May 27th, 2005, 12:17 pm

BK...........awesome answer........
Nancy..............great for you for getting back up...... :yay: .....you are behind the wheel..... :burnout: .....you have the choice to drive. straight thru to thinnieville.......... :drive: .......you will do it........ :clap: ...my prayers for your success.......... :angel:
Donna....dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424

Postby bk » May 27th, 2005, 1:52 pm

Nancy, look at how strong and resourceful you are! You just came up with TWO great ideas. Now you can have your printout and just grab it when you need help. :D
bk

Postby doglover » May 27th, 2005, 2:19 pm

Hey Nancy - when times are tough I too hit the bed! I love being in bed so am not tempted at all to get up! It helped me thru the first couple weeks a lot!
Donna
Donna - frequent flyer to FL!
Feb 7, 2005 start date
176/150/150 - made it in 9 weeks! 26 lbs off!
150/139.5/140 - made it in 8 1/2 more weeks! 36.5 lbs off!
144/143/135 - new and last goal! Maintaining for now in 2006
doglover
Preferred Member - #30 Club

26 in 9 weeks

Postby oregonrose » May 27th, 2005, 2:34 pm

26 lbs on 9 weeks is so great! I am hoping to be under 200 by the time I go to Southern California June 18th. you know, "ONEderland ! I am confident I can do it and have ordered juiceboxed meals for the road days. I think its great that you have even lowered your goal since you made it! thanks for the support, nancy
Knowledge is power
oregonrose

Postby 24KaratGold » May 27th, 2005, 3:00 pm

doglover wrote:Hey Nancy - when times are tough I too hit the bed! I love being in bed so am not tempted at all to get up! It helped me thru the first couple weeks a lot!
Donna
:: biting tongue :: "I will be good, I will be good, I will be good...."

:twisted:

;)
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby LilMsTexas » May 27th, 2005, 3:36 pm

First...........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :roflmao: :roflma :roflmao: o :roflmao: : 24K You beat me to it heeeeeeeeeeeehehehehehehehehehehe

Now.......seriously...........hehehehe (sorry can't stop laughing).....no really..........BK....That was AWESOME!! Three cheers for you and your post to Nancy. It is the time we spend REALLY putting thought and concern into our posts when we NEED to that makes all the difference here. It is because we CAN be serious when it's important that it's so much fun to laugh and joke and have fun too. I have put your post into my MSWord file where I keep all the good stuff ;)

And again.......24K.........heeeeeeeeeeehehehehehehehe GOOD CATCH on that one ;)
GOD BLESSED TEXAS!
Christi AKA LilMsTexas

5'5", 36 YEARS YOUNG!
186.8/145.2/135
LilMsTexas
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » May 27th, 2005, 5:36 pm

I used to hide under my bed.
:couch:
Does that count?
:roflmao:
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Nancy » May 27th, 2005, 6:18 pm

It's pretty hard for Unca to do that, he has a trundle bed.

:shock: Hmmm... :hmmm: maybe that's why he is so slender....

I'm off to think some thinny thoughts and to nap on the chaise lounge, BECAUSE I CAN! :yay:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby victoria7 » May 27th, 2005, 7:09 pm

bk... that was such a wonderful answer... i'm starting the program on may 31st and you can believe that i am going to write those suggestions on my soul!!! thank you... :-)
victoria7
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby armeewyf » May 27th, 2005, 7:35 pm

From a last weekend cheater...

Take everyone's advise and drive on! Christi had great words for me that got me right back on track Sunday (bad day was Sat). Since then I have lost 4 lbs.

I know what led to my downfall...I had a shake at 6:30 and when I cheated it was 1pm--no shake, no nothing in between. My daily schedule was off, I was working outside, it was hot, I was tired and sleepy and STARVING so I thought, ok, why not! If I had just stopped and had a supplement mid-morning, I would have been fine. Not going to happen again!

When my husband is eating his many no-no's in front of me I think of this...I HAVE COME A LONG WAY BABY...I HAVE INVESTED TOO MUCH MONEY IN THIS...I HAVE INVESTED TO MUCH EMOTION AND TIME IN THIS...BUT MAYBE MORE IMPORTANTLY I KNOW I CAN DO THIS AND I AM NOT GOING BACKWARDS, I AM GOING FORWARDS! I AM GOING TO BE THE SKINNIEST I HAVE BEEN SINCE HIGH SCHOOL...and I am more than halfway to my 50 pound goal!

(That was totally inspiring so could someone please remind me of this posting when I am having a bad day please??? :lol:

Have a good holiday weekend everyone
7 days till Mexico, 4 pounds to lose!
Lee Ann
armeewyf
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby LilMsTexas » May 28th, 2005, 4:47 am

Hey Lee Ann...I KNEW you could and WOULD do it this week!! I'm VERY proud of you this week and I can see your heart smiling :D You've been good to yourself this week and it shows.

Now I have 1 more lb to lose between now and in the morning for ROll CALL to be at the 30lb club! This one stinkin' lb has been holding on alllll week long. So get out your thinny-thoughts-magic-wands everybody and make this 1 blankety blank blank lb disappear tonight! ;)

Hugs to all of you this morning,
CHristi
GOD BLESSED TEXAS!
Christi AKA LilMsTexas

5'5", 36 YEARS YOUNG!
186.8/145.2/135
LilMsTexas
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Next

Return to The Weight Room