daycare dilemma...way off topic

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

daycare dilemma...way off topic

Postby Charity » January 4th, 2008, 12:10 am

Okay so today was the first day my husband and I left the baby at daycare and there was a few issues.

The biggie is that because it is winter break the daycare lady's daughter,9yr, was home and left the front door unlocked when going out to play. One of the children, 14mo, then went to the door and opened it slightly before the daycare provider jumped up and closed it and scolded her daughter.

I don't think it's a huge deal because she was watching and the baby wasn't close to getting out but my husband is furious about it.

Second, their sippy cups are laying everywhere and the babies are grabbing eachothers and sucking on them. She scolds and takes it away and gives them their own but then just leaves the "contaminated' one as is.

My mom in law called for a chat and I told her what happen and she is willing to pay the difference of 300 for her to go to the new daycare facility at the catholic church up the block from us.

The supid thing here is that I go way back (neice wise) with this lady and I don't want to hurt her feeling and I have to give her 30days notice or else we loose the 700 we paid her (yikes) So, she will attend for 30days, make friends and fall in love with the lady(like all her kids do) then we will move her! Sad!

So, the question is daycare facilty (10 to 1 ratio) or home care (6 to 1).
hummmmm......any advise ?

So far the advise I am getting is move her to the new place. If so, I need a good excuse that wont offend her. Any advise?

Thanks for your time!
Lost 40# last year on MF
Restart date: 3/6/8 5'2"
Charity
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby iammissruth » January 4th, 2008, 7:49 am

Hey Christy,
We have family daycare through our friends. They host about 15 kids for 3 adults. There are somethings that I do not agree with their "tendencies" but dd has been with them since she was 5 weeks old, and she knows them just as well as she knows us.
The gals have the ever-watchful eye that I love, and they discipline their own children and also the the kids that act up. (They have triplets that are huge troublemakers) But since there are 3 kids within the same age as my dd and they do some times drink out of each others sippy's. When they catch the babies do that, they immediately clean them and re-distribute them. They also have like 4 locks on their door so their own kids can get out, but none of the littler toddlers.
As for choosing to leave them to go to another daycare, I don't think that we could until we move. DD is completely in love with them and has created a bond. I don't think that I could break that bond and deal with her adjusting to a new daycare. And honestly, from what I have heard from other parents, they don't like their daycare facility.
So I really comes down to, where do you feel dc will be most comfortable at? Which place do you think you dc will be safest at? etc... As for what to tell your friend, the truth. And if she is a good friend, she will understand or try a little hard to fix things that bother you. You know?
Ruthetta
iammissruth
Preferred member

Postby katieb920 » January 4th, 2008, 6:09 pm

I have had my son in daycare since he was 1. I definetly think there are good things and bad things to both ends.

First the good things of day care.
There are more people to watch over your child.
Security is a huge thing for me. You are only aloud to come in if you have a password.
My daycare provides pickup at my sons school.

Bad thing Less attention on your child.
There are more kids sick at a time. Not fun going into seing every kid having snot hanging from there nose.

But on the sippy cup thing. I think that is going to happen anywhere. Even if there were only 2 kids.

Charity if you think it is best to pull your child do it. Do not feel bad everyone has reasons.
Katie
katieb920
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Out*With*The*Old » January 4th, 2008, 6:29 pm

Have you thought about talking to her about your concerns? Since she is a 'tried and true' referral, I think that says a lot. Also, I know leaving her for the first time is HARD and you do need to feel comfortable. Do you think you'd feel more comfortable in the new center where you don't know about the results?

I do think both issues need to be addressed with the provider. I also think you should realize that both can occur at your home too - KWIM?

Also, is your 6/1 ratio all babies or are the ages varied? Is the 10/1 all babies? How often does the staff turn over in the baby room?

If you pray, pray about it. Maybe you can go visit the provider this weekend and discuss your concerns. I think any place you put her there is a potential for issues - - it really comes down to which one do you feel better about.

Good luck with it!!!!
Out*With*The*Old
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Charity » January 7th, 2008, 2:34 am

Thanks everyone for your advice. :bighug: I read them all carefully and they really helped.

Okay so I told my hubby we are sticking with her. The strong referral and seeing how fantastic baby did on her second day, The fact that I get lots of cons from gals who take their kid to daycare facilities, the fact that she's 300 less a month, The fact that she's avail 24/7 if need be....it makes sense to keep her there.

Also, I do love the home away from home setting.

you guys are just too cool. Thanks again for the input. :mrgreen:
Lost 40# last year on MF
Charity

Postby Tawanda » January 7th, 2008, 7:42 am

Charity, I watch my twin grandchildren three days a week. I love these little ones like they were my own (heck, LOL they are my own--g'kids, that is). Stuff happens....even when it is g'ma who loves them and would just be crushed beyond belief if anything happened to them, especially if it were during the time they were in my care.

Just as an example......I left the baby-proofed (I thought) living room to use the 'facilities'. The little ones were in the baby-proofed area, confined by baby gates and I was gone as short of time as is possible because I didn't want to leave them alone. I came back and one of the little ones was sitting up on a (tall) coffee table. He had crawled up on a chair, then up onto the coffee table. He was so proud of himself to be up so high and I was astounded at how fast he was able to do this (I couldn't have been gone over 90 seconds). Now, they go with me-------and also another reason why I don't drink much water throughout the day (LOL--try taking two 18 month olds into the restroom with you).

They've tripped over their own feet and gotten fat lips.......they've bent down to put something into the 'cubby' of their ride-on/push toys and scratched their cheeks, they've fallen and gotten bruises on their foreheads.........they've beaned each other with a toy and left a mark......

These things, unfortunately, happen when you put kids together, no matter how careful you think you are--and no matter if it is a loving and attentive g'mother watching.

I'm only sharing this in hopes that in the coming months, if your little one gets a little bruise on their forehead or their cheek, or they get a fat lip, or ........... that you won't instantly jump to the conclusion that the daycare facility isn't careful enough.... I would be concerned if there are bruises constantly and ask your friends, etc., who use daycare if what happens to your daughter has happened to their kids -- if you think anything is out of the ordinary of course. (I am NOT saying ignore all marks or injuries, please don't believe that for a moment!).

Anyway, just thought I'd offer you my experience with watching these little ones. I hope it helps you at some point.
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda

Postby Charity » January 7th, 2008, 12:33 pm

T- I am so with you one the bruises thing. I take her to a mall playground every week and I prefer it busy because she digs all the other kids playing around her but the other parents freakout and treat her like glass. I think, hey, let your older baby play with her, worst case senario she gets a bump or something.

I am easygoing but the problem is my hubby! He is super not easy going in the baby department. She's his angel. He is always, "How long has this milk been out? Is this sanitized? Did you scrub her tub this week and sanitize her bath toys? Grab her shoes away from her quick, germs germs germs..."

Geez! His sisters are like that too. I went to church with them and I was next to the box of toys and during the sermon one of them handed me antibacteria spray and a cloth and pointed to the box of toys. Hello?!?!?! I am not going to disinfect a box of toys during service! Heheheheh..... :lol:
Lost 40# last year on MF
Charity

Postby Charity » January 7th, 2008, 12:38 pm

OH I FORGOT TO SAY.....

:shock: YOU TAKE TWIN BABIES TO THE BATHROOM WITH YOU :shock: ?

OH MY, I WOULD NEVER DRINK WATER. THAT'S HARD WORK!!!!!

Everytime I need to take her to the restroom with me when we are out with no stroller is a nightmare which includes me saying "Dont touch anything!!!" a hundred times in a stern voice from the potty :lol: Ha!
Lost 40# last year on MF
Charity

Postby Tawanda » January 7th, 2008, 5:26 pm

Charity wrote:OH I FORGOT TO SAY.....

:shock: YOU TAKE TWIN BABIES TO THE BATHROOM WITH YOU :shock: ?

OH MY, I WOULD NEVER DRINK WATER. THAT'S HARD WORK!!!!!

Everytime I need to take her to the restroom with me when we are out with no stroller is a nightmare which includes me saying "Dont touch anything!!!" a hundred times in a stern voice from the potty :lol: Ha!

Oh yeah.......welcome to my world. ;) I do have a babygate across the bathroom doorway, so now I take the babies into the entryway, close off the baby gate to the living room and the one to the kitchen, then step over the baby gate into the powder room. ... they stand at the gate and laugh at me. Delightful, but it does keep them out of the 'icky' area and I'm not fighting to herd two little ones out of the bathroom when I'm done washing my hands. For some reason the toilet bowl scrub brush & holder are a real baby magnet........... :shock:
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda

Return to What's Shakin'