Coming Out

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Coming Out

Postby Sylvia » July 23rd, 2004, 8:33 am

When I first began Medifast in May, I was uncomfortable adding a signature like so many of you have with my starting weight, progress and goal. I haven't told anyone how much I've weighed for a long time. Even though I know my weight would be decreasing, I think I had a fear that I would be unsuccessful on the program and that people would actually know my real, too high, weight.

A few weeks ago, I weighed less than 200 for the first time in a long time. That was a really big deal for me but I couldn't share it with my friends, family, etc., because of course none of them know I weighed over 200 to begin with. I finally broke down and shared it in a post, but was still uncomfortable adding a signature and having my weight there in front of me and all of you every time I post.

Today, I crossed over another "decade" and decided I needed to add a signature to my profile. It reminds me of both how far I've come and how far I still have/want to go. I think my progress might also motivate someone who might be considering starting the program and I'd like to offer all the encouragement I can.

I've been feeling a bit frustrated lately because things seem to have slowed down. For some reason, I seem to lost 5 lbs. fast (a week or 10 days) and then the next 5 take what seems like forever (20 days this time). Hopefully I'm now in the "quick 5" phase again and it can sustain me through the next slow time.

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but (if I've done this right technically) you should be able to see my stats now. 36 pounds in a bit less than 12 weeks. 1 1/2 pounds from my half way point. Committed to keep on slurping my way to goal!

Sylvia
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Carrie » July 23rd, 2004, 8:41 am

:cleader:

Yay Sylvia!

I understand, I went through the same thing, but decided if everybody else could come clean, then so could I.

I'm VERY proud of you.

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie

Postby Simmshe » July 23rd, 2004, 9:20 am

Good for you Sylvia--thanks for coming out :)! I can relate, too. I didn't want my starting weight staring at me everytime I came to the forum. I didn't mind sharing with everyone so much as seeing this weight served as a constant reminder of me breaking the 300lb threshold, again, last year--after I had been out of the 300's for four years (from nearly 400lbs down to 269lbs). But I'm over that and am no longer kicking that dead horse!

Much congratulations on reaching the under 200lbs milestone--that's wonderful :cleader:! I usually lose weight like you described, too. Of course, I'm still in the plummeting stage of weight loss right now, but eventually, I'm betting that my body will start letting go of fat in 10lb, or so, increments, showing no-to-minimal losses some weeks. This may or may not happen, but I'm preparing myself, mentally, to handle this if is does happen.

The good thing is hanging in and persevering, like you are. Keep inspiring us newbies :).

Sheryl
Restart: 5/01/05
333/280/155

Original start: 7/13/04-12/12/04
High weight (1997): 386lbs

Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure--Confucius
Simmshe
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Sylvia » July 23rd, 2004, 9:31 am

Thanks Carrie and Sheryl for the encouragement! Sheryl, I honestly forgot that you're a newbie. Your posts have made such an impact on me already and I look forward to many more of them!
Sylvia

Postby RavenKat » July 23rd, 2004, 9:52 am

Yay you!!!!

My husband STILL doesn't know how much I weigh! :-P Just the other day I asked him how much he weighed and then I said, "I now weigh less than you!"

He's a sweetie and didn't take it a bad way, because I certainly didn't mean it in a bad way.

K
259/180/165
RavenKat
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Sylvia » July 23rd, 2004, 10:12 am

Thanks Kat!

I have NEVER, even when I weighed much less, told my husband how much I weighed! I am blessed or cursed, depending on how you look at it with a husband who is now at his heaviest weight ever is in the 175-180 pound range. At 6 feet tall, he is pretty slim although no longer downright skinny like he used to be.

I am so looking forward to the time when I actually weigh less than he does - getting close! Maybe one day, when I'm at my goal, I'll tell him what I weigh and where I started. Not quite ready for that conversation yet.
Sylvia

Postby Simmshe » July 23rd, 2004, 10:31 am

You're welcome Sylvia! I just noticed that we joined the forum a day apart, but it took me a couple of months to get things together and get on a roll with MF!

I'm a newbie to MF, but certainly not to weight loss, as all of us are not new to losing or trying to lose weight. I have accumulated a wealth of knowledge (a lot of it gained by being in and out of pits), especially about the mental/emotional aspects :). I'm glad you appreciate my posts, as I do yours. I'll certainly be contributing many more and look forward to reading many more. As you all can probably tell already, I'm a pretty expressive writer :).

Sheryl
Restart: 5/01/05
333/280/155

Original start: 7/13/04-12/12/04
High weight (1997): 386lbs

Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure--Confucius
Simmshe
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby explorthis » July 23rd, 2004, 11:21 am

Isn’t it a weird society that we live in where your w-e-i-g-h-t, that little (or large) 3 digit number can have such an impact on everything you do? Not your actual body, cause we already know what weight does, but the actual digits, weather it is on the scale, published for everyone to see, or written down. <gasp> what if someone saw it? Oh my, they might know how much I weigh. What will they think? Thoughts roll in our heads all the time. Do I weigh more than my spouse? Does he know? Should he know? Does he even want to know? Spouses (and I am generalizing, or is it stereotyping men here) know. We are not totally clueless (though sometimes we appear this way on purpose) as to what is going on with our wives (maybe we want you to think we are – honey, darling, sweetie, pookie, will you get me a beer?). Do you really think if your hubby knows or even really wants to know what you weigh? I personally can “guess” what my wife weighs, but I truly don’t want to know the actual digits. Just me, but I bet most guys are the same.

Yesterday, I was in “coaching” if you can call it that, a girl about the same age as I, needing to lose about 70 pounds. (Astute guess) She is doing Nutri-System, counting the points, and paying $14 a week for a stapled pack of paper in a .29 cent checkbook cover. She was writing in her “journal” I asked her to see it, since we share feelings about weight. Her ONLY concern, not all her “feelings” nor what she was eating (since she is supposed to keep a log) was her concern as she handed me her journal, but that I NOT turn to the front page, just in case I saw what she weighed. I guessed, and I was 2 pounds lighter than her actual weight. How did you know she asked? Uh, I know – WE know. Even in the Omar the tentmaker 5X black rear end hiding x-long shirt, with the vertical stipes, WE KNOW. (Honey, darling, sweetie, pookie, will you get me a beer?)

Anyway, post your stats here. It helps. Remember WE ALL are in the same ship, for the same cause. And – if you really think about it, you want to cheer someone on in this group when they hit a new milestone, and/or join a new club.

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Jeanette » July 23rd, 2004, 1:30 pm

Good post Mike! Sounds like with your weight guessing abilities, you could work for the carnival! :)

I agree--facts are facts. No one here is going to be judgemental of your starting number, or any other number for that matter!!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby RavenKat » July 24th, 2004, 3:36 am

Mike - you crack me up! :lol:

What's weird is that I don't care what my husband weighs - I mean the actual number. Of course it's obvious when he gains or loses weight (as I'm assuming it was on my body, too) but the number doesn't matter.

Being tall, even when I was skinny, less tall people would make a face of astonishment when they found out that I weighed 145. In their world 145 is a monstrous number! Where it was underweight for me it was a suicidal number for them. And even as I gained weight - even the doctor would say, "You don't LOOK that heavy!" Okay - is that a compliment? I can't tell. :scratch: So, besides the shame at the number I'd get shocked reactions. Screw that! So I stopped telling people - not that there were millions of opportunities to share THAT info.

As I lose weight I am more proud of the number but only brag to you all about it. Everyone else can deal with the "weight lost" amount. THAT shocked look I can deal with. ;)

Thanks for the provocative conversation, AGAIN, everybody,

Kat
259/180/165
RavenKat
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby LadyChamp » August 1st, 2004, 10:12 pm

WTG Slvia! :cleader:

You are brave for overcoming your "fear" of not sharing your weight. There are some people with whom I would never discuss my actual weight. My inlaws, for example. They are not blind, and they can see that I weigh as much as I do, but as for saying I way xxx pounds to them it just hasn't happened and I don't see it happening.

Now, my husband and my daughter. They know the digits. No biggie. An online friend of mine, also knows.

All of you know.

It's funny (or not) but to me I look the same (well pretty much the same) as I did exactly 10, 20, 30, 40, & 50 pounds ago. Don't get me wrong. I am thrilled with every smidgen I lose. But my body and shape are the same. I still wear the same clothes and I still have a hernia the size of Texas (which I hope to be getting repaired again for the third time after I lose all this weight).
LadyChamp
Regular Member - #50 Club

Postby Peggy » August 2nd, 2004, 6:56 am

Hi Sylvia!

I know what you mean. I just got to the point where I weigh less than my husband. It's a good feeling. Makes you feel very feminine and petite. Although now I want to get him healthier too. I worry so much about his cholestrol. He said that he might do medifast too since it is working so well for me. At the very least he is already eating better because I do.

It was very embarassing for me to weigh more than he does since he is 6 ft and I'm 5'3. It's nice to know we have medifast and each other's support as a tool to fix it.

*Hugs*
Start Date July 23, 2004
Height 5'3 - 182 lbs.
August 5, 2004 174 lbs...woohooo!
Peggy

Return to The Weight Room