Chili Fix

Add your favorite recipes.

Chili Fix

Postby monkeymom » February 6th, 2005, 8:24 pm

I was having some trouble with the chili, getting the beans to not be hard. Yesterday I had the idea to mix my chili with a bit of water and leave in the fridge overnight, you know like we used to soak the navy beans before making ham & beans with them?
So I just mixed a packet of chili with about 4 oz of water in a shaker and left it in the fridge. This evening I heated up a couple of ounces of water (and put my onions in there to cook a bit too), stired it into the chili with some salsa and warmed it all up. Turned out great. The beans were nice and soft, the pieces of beef actually tasted like beef......the chili generally had a much richer taste.
Oh, and another nice thing was it only took about 90 secs and it was ready to eat, no waiting for the beans to soften or for it to thicken up. I'll be able to mix it ahead of time and take with me for dinners at school now since I have access to a microwave.
Vicki
255 - 1/29/08
monkeymom
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Thanks, MM. I'm going to try that.

Postby kassilou » February 6th, 2005, 11:37 pm

I think I'll try letting it sit for just a few hours first, to see how long it takes to tenderize those little beanies! :eat:
To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals.
~Ben Franklin
kassilou
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby monkeymom » February 7th, 2005, 8:16 am

A few hours will probably work too. I just thought of it while I was making chili on Saturday, so just did it up then and left it until yesterday. That's going to be my method from now on.
Vicki
255 - 1/29/08
monkeymom
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » February 16th, 2005, 9:42 pm

Yes, I always make it that way NOW. The first time, I about broke my tooth because the beans were so hard...

You can also stir the packet of Homestyle Chili into cool water until well-blended and nuke for a minute or so and then stick it in the refer until later. The French Vanilla Berry Oatmeal "rockberries" get softer when you do a pre-soak, too. ;)
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby smartiegrrl » February 17th, 2005, 8:43 am

Oh I think I may try that. I've been most unimpressed with the Chili. I bet you can spice it up too at that point.
~sg

(6/26/06) 230/225/130
smartiegrrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » February 17th, 2005, 8:53 am

I add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and onion flakes to my chili. If I'm feeling like I particularly want a little bit more to eat, after it is cooked I toss in a packet of crackers. I LOVE the chili; unfortunately I ate my last one on Tuesday and I won't be placing an order until the end of next week. :(
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Nancy » February 17th, 2005, 10:32 am

The chili is very good.

A packet of Robust Tomato Fast soup or the Savory Beef Fast soup plus spices of your choice also help to make the serving a bit larger without increasing the calories, 24 Karat.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby smartiegrrl » February 17th, 2005, 10:44 am

I've added, onion + garlic powder, cumin (love cumin) and chili and cayenne power. Added crushed red pepper once too. I added the beef fast soup to it once as well, but it made it too salty for my taste. I think I have only 2-3 packets of it left. Perhaps one day I'll perfect the chili. ;D
~sg

(6/26/06) 230/225/130
smartiegrrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Return to Lean Cuisine