Changing tastes

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Changing tastes

Postby DogMa » February 25th, 2006, 9:38 pm

First it was the pudding, but that I understood because I've always liked pudding. But this one just blows my mind. I've never in my life liked oatmeal, and the only way I ate the Medifast version was in cookies (and even then, I haven't had them in months because I didn't like them THAT much).

So the past few days, I've been almost CRAVING oatmeal. This has happened before because it's always sounded good to me, but every time I've tried it (the regular kind), I wound up taking one taste and tossing it. But I figured I had some in the cabinet, so I might as well give it a shot.

I ate the whole bowl, and am planning on having another bowl in three hours. And am all set to add some more boxes to next month's order (too bad I gave away the sample of peach that I got a few months ago, since everyone raves about it).

How weird is that, though? I suddenly love something I've hated for 44 years!!!!
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby sidrah » February 25th, 2006, 10:41 pm

Well, I have to say, I always loved oatmeal, but hopefully, I will get the reaction to the chilli that you have gotten to the oatmeal.

Glad you like the oatmeal- it is so good for you, too!!
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Serendipity » February 26th, 2006, 5:56 am

Next you'll tell us you love the choc. shakes! Wonders never cease!

Oatmeal is just about my favorite. I'm glad you gave it another try. As for the Chili, I have a sample pack and I'm afraid to try it. It just stares at me when I look in the cupboard and I always say.......nah, maybe another time, lol.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Oatmeal

Postby Jan » February 26th, 2006, 8:36 am

Oh Ho Ho Robin, :mrgreen:
The products are just creeping up on you. I've always thought the oatmeal was yummmy and the peach hmmmmmmm
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Lauren » February 27th, 2006, 8:00 am

Ha! I LIVE for the Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal. I actually like to make it really dry and thick, just enough water to mix it all in, then let it sit a minute, and be really heavy. I never needed my real oatmeal to be that way, but for some reason I prefer it this way on MF.

But I know what you mean about tastes changing, I HATED most of the soups when I started, but now I totally crave the creamy chicken and chicken with rice soups!

Gotta love a fickle palette!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby Nancy » February 27th, 2006, 8:43 am

That's a great story, Robin! :roflmao:

:scratch: What flave did you have - Apple Cinnie?

When you get brave and try that Peach flavor, let us know your opinion. I've given up French Vanilla Berry for the Peachy Keen.
I like to make it the night before or a few hours in advance so the flavors can really marry - try it - you could mix your next 3-hour feeding right now!

Have fun!
:eat:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Nicki » February 27th, 2006, 9:35 am

I can't believe it ... there's hope for oatmeal avoiders! I might just give it another whirl. ;)
Nicki
started 9/19/05

Nicki
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Guest » March 1st, 2006, 9:51 am

Maybe there is hope after all. I must honestly say everytime I ate the oatmeal I literally gagged. I tend to stay away because of that. I might try it again though.

Postby Nancy » March 1st, 2006, 12:36 pm

I think oatmeal is something that is sort of an acquired taste and many of us Boomers grew up on the stuff - when I was a kid some of the hot cereals my Mom served are:

Old Fashion Quaker Oats
Malt-o-meal
Red River Cereal (I love it to this day)
Roman Meal Cereal
Wheat Hearts Cereal
Cream of Rice & Cream of Wheat

She also made white or brown rice for breakfast. All of the above was served with raisins, brown sugar and fresh cream, of course!

Plus she also made biscuits or corn bread which we drenched with syrup and butter.

Now you know why I was a chubbette all my life - Margarine and 2% milk never crossed my lips!

The texture of the oatmeal also has something to do with how it goes down. Some people prefer the library paste thickness and others like it runny and then there are those who go down the middle of the road and like it semi-thick. You have to experiment with the amount of water used to prepare it. The Apple Cinnie thickens more because the dried apples absorb some of the water. I'd say the Peach would be the next flavor that may thicken after nuking. If you think you'd like it thicker, then go with nearly 6 ounces of water to begin with and if needed, add more after it's cooked and rested a minute.

Maybe you'll never like it and that's ok because there are other things to have for breakfast, like puddin'! ;)
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby DogMa » March 1st, 2006, 5:12 pm

It's funny, I think one reason I've always hated it is because my mom hated it, too. She NEVER made us oatmeal for breakfast. We usually had either eggs or leftover dinner food (which is why I've been perfectly OK having broccoli soup or chili for breakfast till now). I don't think I ever even tasted oatmeal till I was a teenager.

And I love the maple one best so far, too!!! Although my peach is supposed to be coming Friday, along with the other flavors I ordered. I think I have six packets left (well, four or five after tonight, depending on whether I can talk myself into having something different before bed), so I should actually make it. I got some caramel DaVinci, too, for the apple-cinnamon (annoying, because a few weeks ago I finally gave up on ever liking the caramel because it was so sweet and got rid of the bottle I had; now I think if I cut back on the Splenda, it'll be delicious with apple oatmeal).
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby JustLynda » March 1st, 2006, 5:21 pm

It's funny about the oatmeal b/c that has been one of my favorites from the beginning. It seemed to be a lot like the "real thing." I hope I don't start hating it later on! :lol:

I prepare mine thick-n-dry like Lauren. I just heat some water in my stove-top kettle and pour in about 1/4-1/2 cup to get the consistency right and then dig right in. Eating it a little "raw" like that gives it that nice, chewy, oaty texture. Mmmmm....

-L
Start Date: February 18, 2006
JustLynda
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby sidrah » March 1st, 2006, 10:49 pm

I agree. The food is pretty much good. However, the oatmeal is really just like the real Quaker thing. The pudding is good and the shakes are good doctored up, but there is a slight after taste.

To me, maybe that is why I like the oatmeal so much...it tastes like the real thing and it feels like something more substantial than just the liquidy stuff. I like thicker shakes better for the same reasons.
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby FluffyNoMore » March 2nd, 2006, 8:39 am

I have to agree. My tastes are drastically changing. I'm hoping that I'll actually like the maple brown sugar oatmeal...it still gives me the shivers. But I like the apple cinnamon fine. One thing that I noticed that through me for a loop, was that I had a meeting on Tuesday and I usually pop in an Altoid just to make sure my breath is fresh....well I'll be but that altoid that usually makes me sneeze because it's so strong, tasted sweet. :shock: LOL! I guess I ate way more sugar than I realized.
FluffyNoMore
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » March 3rd, 2006, 12:56 am

:shock: May-po! :bounce:

We are takin' a little walk down Memory Lane, Vicky!

:hmmm: Oh, my little brother and I :heart: LOVED May-po! The Maple and Brown Sugar reminds me of that - I :hammerhead: forgot all about that cereal!

Thank You! :mrgreen:

It looks we have an Oaty Club Forming here...

I am fixin' Peach Oatmeal with fresh chopped ginger for my :snooze: bedtime snack tonight. :eat:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Dayna » March 3rd, 2006, 1:08 am

Ooooooh . . . Malt-o-Meal . . . when's Medifast gonna come out with a Malt-o-Meal supplement*??!! I LOVE that stuff. But you don't want to know how much brown sugar I used to use with it. I even went through a phase of putting brown sugar on the bottom of the bowl, putting the cereal in, then putting white sugar on top. :dohdoh: There is nothing like a hot bowl of Malt-o-Meal on a cold winter morning. With lots and lots of whole milk, of course. :mrgreen:

- Dayna

*yes, yes, I know, wishful thinking
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna

Next

Return to Weight Loss