Carb/Sugar Addiction

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Carb/Sugar Addiction

Postby dkearby » September 29th, 2006, 3:51 pm

I have a question:

Are any of you food addicts, especially carb/sugar addicts. Carbs and sugar are my weekness. For those of you who can relate, how has medifast affected you carb/sugar - food addiction?

Thanks

David
dkearby

Postby kmr » September 29th, 2006, 3:58 pm

David,
Read my post about my experience in my journal.
kmr
Preferred member

Postby alohacate » September 29th, 2006, 4:15 pm

Hello, my name is Cate and I am a carb addict. Okay, with that said - Medifast has changed my addiction in that I don't "crave" for these carbs anymore!! I feel that I am in control of my food rather than my food controlling me. Hope this helps!
Height: 5'10 Age: 38 Start Date:6/24/06
51 pounds gone forever -I'm bringing sexy back
alohacate
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby DogMa » September 29th, 2006, 4:24 pm

I am, too, which is why I've most frequently turned to programs like Atkins to lose weight. I have always had issues with carbs and sugar, and a small amount has always led to binges. Severely limiting carbs was the only thing that worked for me and freed me from the cravings.

These days, I'm on maintenance and I'm encouraged to see that I've been able to enjoy carbs and sugar again, but without going crazy.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Arklahoma » September 29th, 2006, 5:26 pm

I am definitely a carb addict. In fact, I recently added protein calories to my plan b/c of exercise and I have definitely decreased my carbs well below MF standards. I feel much better.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby VictoriousNat » September 29th, 2006, 5:34 pm

DogMa wrote:I am, too, which is why I've most frequently turned to programs like Atkins to lose weight. I have always had issues with carbs and sugar, and a small amount has always led to binges. Severely limiting carbs was the only thing that worked for me and freed me from the cravings.

These days, I'm on maintenance and I'm encouraged to see that I've been able to enjoy carbs and sugar again, but without going crazy.

Ditto to everything except the maintainance part - I am a long way from that. :D
Nat
Start 8/24/06
Lost 34lbs and over 30 Inches. Regained 9lbs. Down 4lbs on vacation in Jamaica - yeehaw!
Waiting for Doctor's clearance to restart MF.
VictoriousNat
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Mike » September 29th, 2006, 9:28 pm

Huge carb addict. Not so much the sugar, but the carbs.
Its always a struggle, but when you are in the medizone, its much easier. :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Bailey » October 2nd, 2006, 7:44 am

I think anyone who is overweight is a carb addict. I have a book about this womans experience as a carb addict and she says you have to deal with it the same as an alcoholic or drug addict. Her opinion is that you stay away from the bad carbs altogether or your cravings will start again. I believe that but I'm not sure how many people could stay away completely. She says she has not had a bad carb in over 10 years and has no trouble keeping her weight down.
Bailey

Postby 2saturn » October 2nd, 2006, 8:21 am

Bailey,

Would you mind posting the name of that book? I'd be very interested in reading it.

Thank you.
2saturn

Postby Bailey » October 2nd, 2006, 10:19 am

The name of the book is "Why Can't I Stop Eating" Recognizing, understanding, and overcoming food addiction by Debbie Danowski & Pedro Lazaro, M.D.

This is what it says on the back of the book:

Why can't I stop eating? If, like millions of others, you often ask yourself this question, you may be addicted to food-the food you eat may be precisely what makes you crave more...and more.This straight-talking book puts the widespread problem of food addiction into clear perspective and points the way to a life free of the obsession with food. Debbie Danowski, whose food addiction nearly ruined her life, and Pedro Lazaro combine forces to give readers a full understanding of this debilitating condition: its sources, patterns, consequences, and physiological underpinnings. Unlike fad diets and drugs with their side effects, hidden costs, and infamous failure rates, the program outlined in this book goes to the root cause of chronic overeating-and puts the tools for a lifelong cure into the hands of anyone willing to accept responsibility for a healthy, happy future.

Debbie Danowski has maintained a weight loss of 150 pounds for more than 10 years.

This gives you a little info about the book. I read it several years ago and I knew she was on the right track. I really need to read it again but when I did what she said in the book and gave up the bad carbs all my cravings went away. I could bake cookies for my husband and not be tempted to eat any. The first 9 days after I gave up sugar and the white stuff I was sooo sick but after that I felt great and like I said the cravings stopped. I lost weight and got to my goal and stayed there longer than I ever have. Then Christmas came and I thought maybe I'll just have a couple cookies, they made me so sick that I actually threw up. To make an already long story a little shorter, I slowly added sugar and bad carbs and started gaining and now I've gained it all back. I know we all know that the cravings stop when you get the bad stuff out but most people think that they should be able to have a treat now and then when they get to goal but the main point of the book is most of us just can't handle it, makes you crave all the wrong things again and then the yo-yo cycle starts all over again. It really is like an alcoholic. They can't have just 1 drink. Sorry this is so long.

Bailey
Bailey

Postby 2saturn » October 2nd, 2006, 1:30 pm

Thank you SO much! I'm going to try to find it and order it for both my sister and myself.

Have a blessed day!
2saturn

Postby beeah_b » October 2nd, 2006, 7:44 pm

sounds like a interesting read. Thanks for the info! :D
Going to restart Jun 2009, been gone since after surgery Oct06. Can't wait !
beeah_b
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Return to Weight Loss