Can I hang in till the finish?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Can I hang in till the finish?

Postby Mickeyz » July 2nd, 2007, 12:31 pm

I have been on MF for 11 weeks. Did great thru week 9, started feeling restless in week 10 and week 11 has been a real challenge. I am up about a lb and can't seem to resist bites and nibbles. Up until now I have had more of a sense of detatchment to food.

Last week my husband was in the hospital for surgery. I had a slight run in with the candy vending machine...twice actually. :oops: Now that he is home and recovering I am of course cooking for him. He has been so sweet while I have been on the program and has cooked for himself. He is one of those skinny people that eats constantly and never gains an ounce.

A couple years ago I was on MF and lost about 45 lbs but just couldn't keep at it after week 11. I gained back about 15 lbs. I should have at least gone on maintainence rather than just off the program.

It is my plan to stick this out. I could use some words of wisdom from any of you folks that have been on the program for longer, did you face the same thing?

I feel great about my weight loss so far, surely I can go another few weeks to get to my goal!
Reached Goal Nov 2007 61.5 lbs lost
Gained 11 lbs in Mexico 3/08, decided to lose that along with another 5 lbs!
Mickeyz
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Mike » July 2nd, 2007, 1:59 pm

First, let me say that I know that we are all different. I've been on program (on and off) since April of 2006. I've lost 75 lbs and even when I've gone off program, I tend to not lose, but not really gain. When I have gained, I lose it quickly but then level out. I am frustrated with myself, but even with that, I know that this is the best way for me to remain healthy.
So, can you do it... of course you can. You just have to remind yourself what is more important to you right now.
;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » July 2nd, 2007, 7:07 pm

Hi, Mickey ~

You have done a great job with your weight loss plan, you are wearing smaller clothes, your energy level has improved and and have already improved your over all health - congratulations!

You are half-way to your goal – you hung in there for 10 weeks, can you hang in there for a few weeks more? Of COURSE you can!

Yep, those :twisted: candy machines can be dangerous, especially when you're waiting for loved ones to get out of surgery and to recover.
It sounds to me like you are out of the fat-burning state (those m&m's may seem little but they can affect the mild dietary state of ketosis in a BIG way!); once we slip out of fat-burning, cravings return and that makes it more difficult to stick to the program.

Plan your meals for the next few days and write them down, use as many shakes and oatmeal (with their low glycemic levels, and staying power) as you can and have some nice crunchy romaine lettuce and cucumbers and some grilled chicky or fish and slug down that water. Once you’re back in the fat-burning state you will feel better, have control over things and feel energized and empowered!

Also when we have lost some weight, we are not quite as desperate as we were when we first started the program, our initiative is not as great as it once was if our focus has been on losing a certain number of pounds. Having to lose 60 pounds seems like more of a reason to get on board and lose it than to have to lose 29 pounds – the pull isn’t as great.

When this happens, I think it is good to reconsider what our goals are - think of the life you want to have - what does a healthy Mickey look like?
What does she do?
How does she move?
What does she wear?
What is her fitness level like?

Trust me, I'd love to have a hunk of warm Marionberry cobbler with fresh cream drizzled over the top but I want my pants to fit and to have a healthy heart more than I want that fresh homemade dessert. Guess I'll have some sugar-free Jell-O with a spoonful of fat-free Cool Whip instead...

Mickey, don't give up - think of how good it will feel when you reach your goal. :lol:
Give those nibbles, bites, and goodies to that wonderful husband of yours, take a walk in the garden and sniff the flowers but let not your tongue have any bites, licks and tastes of non-program grub.

The answer to your question, “Can I hang in ‘til the finish?” is YES!
You can, if you will!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby DogMa » July 3rd, 2007, 10:15 am

One note about the subject line here. If you view reaching goal as "finishing," I see problems ahead. As you can see from Nancy's post, we're NEVER finished. It takes work and vigilance to maintain your weight loss; you can't go back to overeating and eating junk food (more than occasionally, at least) after you're "done," or you can expect to gain all the weight back plus some extra. This has to be a permanent change in lifestyle for it to be a permanent success.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mickeyz » July 3rd, 2007, 1:06 pm

Mike & Nancy, Thanks for the encouragement. I was just suffering some stress and lack of sleep. Yes I think I was out of the fat burning mode but I am feeling much better after a couple days of being compliant.

Robin, I am not sure what in my posting would make you think that I planned to go back to old eating habits. I am well aware that this is a lifestyle change. I never referred to being "done" but expressed my desire to stay on track and get to goal.

I was simply expressing some frustration with getting off track and the stress of having my husband in the hospital. I was asking for others that have been on the program longer to share their experiences, but thanks for your response.
Mickeyz

Postby Nancy » July 3rd, 2007, 2:03 pm

Hey, Mickey ~

There's nothing like a good ol' nap or a few hours under the :snooze: sheets to refresh and renew us.

What an :redhead: ordeal you and your DH have been through - hospitals are not very comfy for sleeping are they? You probably were sacking out on one of those 'recliners by day/loungers by night', eh?

Every time Nurse Sternfinger comes in to poke, put the arm squeezer on or take the patient's temp, the entire room is awakened. Just about the time the patient drifts off into a deep slumber and begins REM sleep, the lights turn on and the nap is all over!

I am so :sheepjump: happy to hear that today is going so much better for you.

Is your husband feeling more comfortable by now or is he still in a lot of pain?

Can't wait to see your ticker change and for you to enter the next Club Room.

:woohoo: Wowee! 30 pounds = 3 bags of flour, 6 bags of sugar, 30 bags of coffee, 120 cubes of butter - your :cleader: :cleader: :cleader: cheering section is lining up!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby DogMa » July 3rd, 2007, 3:34 pm

I suppose it was the talk of a "finish" and of just having to hang on for a few more weeks. And even the comment from Mike about remembering what is more important "right now." Being slim and healthy has to be more important forever.

I WAS on the program longer (a year and a half, plus a year of maintenance so far), and I WAS sharing my experience. In my experience, there's no such thing as "finishing."
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mickeyz » July 3rd, 2007, 3:45 pm

OK...I hear you loud and clear.

Thanks again for your response. Good luck with your continued success.
Mickeyz

Postby Tawanda » July 4th, 2007, 11:23 am

Mickeyz, how are you and your hubby doing? You've been on my mind......hope things are calming down and that his condition is improving.
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda

Postby Mickeyz » July 4th, 2007, 3:17 pm

Tawanda
Thanks so much for asking, how very sweet of you.
My hubby is doing as well as can be expected. He has lots of pain but hopefully this will start improving very soon. He seems to have more pain at night so I am feeling pretty sleep deprived. His total recovery time is expected to be about 6 weeks.
I am back on track with my MF and it helps to give me a little sense of control. I started getting my walk back in early this morning before it gets to hot and hubby is resting.
Thanks again.
Mickeyz

Postby DonnaS » July 10th, 2007, 9:11 am

Mickey I hope your husband starts improving very soon. Sleep deprivation isn't fun and I'm a girl that has to have my sleep too. I'm glad your back on track with MF and feeling better. I love the feeling of not being hungry and in control. I know you can do this and I bet we will be in maintenance together.
THERE IS NO FAILURE EXCEPT IN NO LONGER TRYING - - ELBERT HUBBARD

SD 06/05/07
240/206.5/135
Restart 2/18/08
DonnaS
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Return to The Weight Room