Beer BAD. Oven fries BAD. DUH!

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Beer BAD. Oven fries BAD. DUH!

Postby BerkshireGrl » February 19th, 2006, 12:12 pm

Confession time! :oops:

As I posted in another thread recently:
So please don't feel alone in saying you had a cheat. (Pssst, I have too, but I'm still chugging along. And for the record, I DEFINITELY feel much healthier ON Medifast than off it. It's like night and day! :D)

Last Sunday I was at 216.5. Well, I got over-confident and took my aunt out to dinner Friday night this week, at a brew pub. I could have had a salad with some chicken or seafood, and a diet soda, but noooo, I did not. I now know that their homemade version of Irish red beer is quite tasty, and the oven fries too, among other very non-Lean & Green dinner foods.

Now I am not only not down, but I am up 3 pounds to 219.5.

DUH! :stickwack:

Not sure how long it will take to lose my pub fries pounds, but I could have been at 213 today instead... a 6.5 pound difference!

Now I deserve all the whomps in the head I get ;)

Today though, I'm here to confess my stupidity... and to say I am BACK ON THE PROGRAM!

In the midst of my ongoing therapy, I found out something recently: almost every time (like 99%) that I drink, I pig out. If I have 2 or more drinks, watch out, all pizza and fried substances! ;) McDonald's stock must rise at least 2 points every time I buy a bottle of wine.

In light of this, and my boinging around the scale dramatically for quite a, ahem, while, I have made the tough decision to enforce my sobriety by taking Antabuse, starting this morning. This is a no-messing-around drug. You CANNOT drink on this drug. Period. None.

Not only no bar alcohol, but also: no vanilla extract in a shake. No wine vinegars on salad. No cough syrup. No herbal extracts mixed with preservative alcohol. No cologne.

Once started, the drug stays in the body for a long time - up to two weeks. If alcohol is taken, the hangover to end all hangovers happens almost immediately.

What this means for me: I expect to be steadily losing from now on. I really do not binge unless I drink.

Antabuse is not without potential for extreme side effects, but in light of my family history of alcoholism and my seeming inability to "just say no" to the bottle, I decided to take the risk... for about 6 months.

I'm not a hard-core drinker... it's rare for me to have more than 3 drinks at a sitting. But have I gone a week with zero alcohol in years? Don't think so. But I've been told by doctors that I'm an average drinker, a "moderate" drinker: that is, "normal" in America.

However, I have been struggling for years to get this weight off, and I am just sick and tired of the loops on the scale... and mostly not being able to say "NO!" to alcohol.

Now I have to say no, and you know what? It's a relief that there is no way I can drink, unless I make the long-term choice to let the drug pass out of my body over the course of 2 weeks. That ain't gonna happen... unless I'm one of the rare people that react badly to this drug. Fingers crossed!

I don't know if there are any lurkers who may struggle with alcohol too, but if you do, there is this drug, and there are others too that are less long-lasting. They might help.

I am not saying this is a "cure" - it's only a temporary crutch - but I believe that once I have gotten out of the habit and used other coping methods to deal with stress instead, then I can safely go off it.

Right now, it's too easy for me to say "one or two drinks won't hurt" and then I find myself blown up like a balloon after scarfing down a large pizza.

Beware the beer and wine! ;)
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby Trixie » February 19th, 2006, 12:53 pm

Sarah good for you! The drug you are speaking of may sound extreme to others, but you know yourself better than all others and if you think this is the best route for you I'm behind you. :goodluck:

I posted on one of the "to cheat or not to cheat" threads this week and I'm afraid I offended a few people who thought I was speaking directly to them. Truth is I had a moment, well two days, of weakness this week while traveling. I don't remember what thoughts were running through my mind as I ordered Skyline Chili or the second day when I justfied having a burrito, but I can tell you that after the fact I felt awful. Not just emotionally, but physically as well. I kept thinking if I could only throw up I would feel better, but instead I was forced to suffer through indigestion and diarrhea. I just hope that I can remember that crummy feeling the next time I am tempted to ease my stress with off plan food.

Up until then I had often had thoughts of "when I lose XX lbs I am going to eat xx. Now I know rewarding myself with greasy, fat laden food is not a reward at all. It's a punishment...of the physical kind anyway.

Sorry for the long post! Just wanted to give you my two thumbs up for keeping on chugging and taking steps to control your drinking to help you along the way.

Trix
2007 Start Date: 01/02/2007
Trixie
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Learning as we go

Postby Jan » February 19th, 2006, 3:22 pm

Yup,
One of the major problems with thas seeminly harmless beer ( though you know it's most likely full of carbs all those hops you know) is it does take away our judgment -- especially where food is concerned. It also makes us want to eat of all things french fries. I think it has something to do with the salt. I myself am not a beer drinker -- don't really like the taste but I have some friends and relatives who enjoy a beer and I've watched them. First thing you know all those good intentions are right out the window.
And I admire you for deciding to take that medication. I know it means you have to eliminate other things which are fine -- the vanilla -- for instance but in the long run you are doing yourself a big favor. Alcoholism runs in my family too. Would I be an alcoholic I don't know -- I can't stand the taste of most of it and what I did try -- a couple sips of a mixed drink -- before program -- gave me a whopping headache. That was enough to keep me away from it. I do know many people do struggle with a genetic inclination -- it's the way the alcohol affects their brain chemistry. So you're doing the very very best thing for you. And don't worry those fatty things are not going away -- but they won't taste quite as good to you. OUr tastes are changing and that's a good thing!!
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Dayna » February 19th, 2006, 3:45 pm

Wow, Sarah, good for you. It takes a lot of strength (strength of character) to admit when we need help controlling something. I'm not a beer drinker (blech, gross), but get some wine, or vodka, or rum into me, and watch out, refrigerator and cupboards! Microwave popcorn (the whole bag, of course) goes really well with vodka and grapefruit juice. :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing your struggles with us. For some of us, the extra warning is very useful before we run into a similar problem. For others, perhaps your story will ring a bell and encourage them to examine their own behavior.

I have so much respect for you!!!

- Dayna
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby BerkshireGrl » February 22nd, 2006, 10:34 am

Dayna, Trixie & Jan,

Thank you very much for your kind words! :heart: I really appreciate them.

I'm on Day 4 of the Antabuse, and so far, no real side effects. A little stomach irritation the first 2 days, and my eyes were bloodshot (it can effect the eyes in strange ways.) But both minor, in my opinion :)

I am feeling quite thankful that I cannot drink, and it's a strange feeling to know that choice has been removed for me. I admit, I still have the thoughts run through my mind like "wine would be great tonight after work" but there is no giving in. Nice! I look at it as slowly starving off that part of me that craves alcohol ;)

It's nice to look at the recycling box and there are no wine bottles stacking up... nice to look at my wallet and not see $XX spent at the liquor store!... nice to wake up early in the morning with energy...

Ahhhhh :D

Thanks again for your encouragement. Best wishes to you all too! :rose:
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby Marseilles » February 22nd, 2006, 10:39 am

Power to you Sarah, I applaud your decision! I can totally relate with having the decision made for you, except that in my case it was the no scale thing. It amazes me how we all have our vices and things that will do us in. I was very easily able to justify the cheat if I saw any upward or lack of downward movement on the scale, riddled with thoughts of 'Oh, this just plain old isnt working for me, Ill go ahead and go out for Mexican and Margaritas, what the h*ll'. Look how far that got me, hm? Almost two years and I am still on the losing kick. The good news is I now have 17 days entirely faithful to medifast and I know now that the only one being cheated is me, if I blow it. Cheers to your continued freedom of the call of that glass of wine. I hope you are able to find the after work relaxation in a nice bubble bath or a good book.

Lets stick to it chica, we can do it!!!! Cheers to your continued success!
-M.
:)
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby big ron » February 22nd, 2006, 11:06 am

Sarah,
I empathise and understand. I like to drink and unfortunately its my downfall too. I have made a decision that I cannot drink again because it will derail my weightloss and health. On my trip I went out one night and drank and boy was I sick. My body was used to healthy nutrician from medifast and last week I put poisons in it and paid for it. My legs get edima bad they swell 3X normal size and hurt. Also I bloated everywhere and stopped keytosis. Since I have gotten back serious I have lost all the water as well as burning fat. Even though I have been sick with a chest cold since I have been back I feel better than before. The key for me is staying focused on what my goals are and my main goal is health and to not drop dead at 40. If you ever want to talk message me Im there!!! :hug:
Restart 9-10-2007
big ron
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Return to The Weight Room