Back in the Fold - A Cautionary Tale

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Back in the Fold - A Cautionary Tale

Postby parrotmom » September 29th, 2004, 11:59 am

Hi, everyone. I'm a successful Medifast user who successfully lost 34lbs. over a 4-month period (Thanksgiving '03 - April '04). I had a little too much "summer fun," and put 14lbs. back on. Today is Day 3 of re-entry into the Medifast lifestyle. The dull headache is almost gone, the hunger has almost completely disappeared, and best of all, I've lost 6 of that rotten 14lbs. that crept back on over the summer.

Why did I let 14lbs. creep back on? Because slowly, over a period of about 4 weeks, I abandoned Medifast. It certainly didn't abandon me! I didn't perform a proper transition to maintenance. I started "picking" at food. Oh, my intentions were good -- whole wheat toast 'n fruit for breakfast; raw veggies for AM snack; turkey sandwich with a touch of fat free mayo for lunch; apple for afternoon snack, chicken breast, veggie & salad for dinner. But over the summer, I allowed little indulgences to creep in: visits to the Human Resource Director's office ('cuz she always has a well-stocked candy jar on her desk); fast food for dinner up to 3x per week; slowly increasing portion sizes (2 cups of spaghetti versus 1 cup at dinner). Add "scale-dodging" to the mix, and voila! 6 months later -- 14lbs. is back.

A little background on me that I didn't share when I first started last November: I had a successful gastric-bypass operation in August 1998. I weighed 260lbs the day of my surgery, and by June 2000 I reached my goal weight of 140lbs (I'm 5'7"). But again, I didn't create a successful blueprint for keeping the weight off, and by November 2003 I'd regained 56 pounds (196).

To say I was scared, frustrated, and angry at myself is an understatement. Here I'd put myself through major surgery, had reached my goal, and let the weight creep back on until I was staring 200lbs in the face. Again. I don't regret having bypass surgery, but I'm here to say that it ain't no magic bullet and obviously, the weight can be gained back.

So this is it. Basically, for me, it boils down to honesty and accountability. Being honest enough to admit that food will always be a problem/comfort for me, as well as a valid fuel for my body. Holding myself accountable to weigh myself at least once a week to catch any gains at a few pounds, rather than 14. And sticking to a healthy maintenance lifestyle that includes Medifast. My goal is to be good 95% of the time, and have that 5% fudge (no pun intended!) factor that will allow an occasional goodie. Does this sound reasonable, you guys? 'Cuz I gotta figure this out. I can't allow myself to experience these weight gains & losses -- it's not good for my head or my body.

Peace, Love & Medifast,
Amy in San Diego
196/160/130 (1st Medifast round - Nov03-Apr04)
174/160/130 (2nd Medifast round - 09/27/04)
parrotmom
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby explorthis » September 29th, 2004, 12:25 pm

WOW Amy, what a great read your “return post” was. I thank you for sharing it. Though I know a (very) little about bypass, I always assumed it “was” the magic bullet, and this would solve all the problems. I hear/read occasionally that some one does it, and then gains it all back, but the stories are rare, and I always assumed it was a fluke. Thanks for setting me straight on it.

Good news, Medifast is good for over and over returns (not good for the mind as you say) but it is there if you need it.

I completely understand your good intentions, pinch of this, fruit of that, veggie here, and then adding in a little more and more, skipping the scale, because you KNEW, etc. This can easily be a problem – I can see it, not the weight creeping back, but the mindset, telling me its ok. YIKES. I know for gospel truth this will be a lifelong battle for me, as well as for others. Food is a problem for most of us, thus our membership here. It’s not just about losing the weight, it’s about adopting a WHOLE new way of life, one that we have to heed f-o-r-e-v-e-r period.

As for the 5% fudge-factor, why not? It’s just like banking. We just have to find a way to actually only fudge that nil 5%, and not let it creep up and up, till it’s reversed to 95:5.

Glad your back, glad you gave some valuable insight.

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby elle4nelly » September 29th, 2004, 1:16 pm

Amy!

First, let me welcome you back!
Second, your post was great! And put to rest the " Gastric Bypass surgery myth". You are right, it is no magic bullet. We do need to be accountable and as long as we do not manage to keep our food addiction under some sort of control then keeping the weight off is Tough Business!!!!!!!

Thanks for the post.

Nelly
Final Restart on Dec 18th
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » September 29th, 2004, 7:22 pm

Hi Amy, :wave:

So glad to see you here as I've seen your name on the member list and wondered about you (I'm a parrot mom too). You know, you're not the only one who's thought she had the answer to weight loss, and then gained it back. There's lots of us.

But hey! If we did it once, we can do it again! AND, I'm absolutely amazed that you lost the first time during Christmas! THAT's an accomplishment!!! Tells me you've got what it takes - actually we all do - we just have to put it into action - that's easier said than done... But as you know, losing so quickly on MF sure does help!!! Happy to meet you.

A MF Pal,
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Vickilh » October 1st, 2004, 9:04 am

Welcome Back...I too am a returning to the fold of MF users. I had lost some weight....got off the MF wagon and added back the weight I lost.
Lets make this time the last on/off go around!!!! Looking forward to maintaining a lean mean healthy me...how about you!!

Vicki
Vicki
1st goal - 150
end goal - 136
Vickilh

Postby parrotmom » October 1st, 2004, 9:15 am

Mike, Nelly, Camille & Vicki: Thanks for the kind words & encouragement -- they really help! So does that extra lb. that dropped off over the last 2 days :D Now comes the patience part -- that first week is such a rush (7 lbs!). A lot of it was water weight, I know, so I have to settle down to the slow 'n steady phase of weight loss.

I'm doing "all shakes" this time around, which will be interesting. I always have the option of going "5 + 1" at a future date, which is nice. But I want to get down to my target weight of 130, which I didn't even reach with the gastric bypass, and I want to do it in a timely manner.

I'm so thankful that Nancy & Terry & Unca have this wonderful forum -- it really helped the last time around. I was more of a lurker, but still got a lot of strength and resolve reading everyone's posts.

Peace, Love & Medifast,
Amy in San Diego
196/160/130 (1st Medifast round - Nov03-Apr04)
174/160/130 (2nd Medifast round - 09/27/04)
parrotmom
Regular Member - #10 Club

Return to The Weight Room