Anyone had their hair colored/foiled since starting MF?

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Anyone had their hair colored/foiled since starting MF?

Postby itsgonnaworkthistime » January 25th, 2005, 12:20 pm

I am in need of hiding the grays and have a vacation coming up. I know some people have experienced hair loss, and I was wondering if anyone has had their hair colored or foiled since starting Medifast?

Please let me know your good or bad experiences, so I can weigh the options......

thanks

Maura
Start Date: 1/2/2007
itsgonnaworkthistime
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » January 25th, 2005, 12:32 pm

I just had my hair colored on Thursday night at the hairdresser's, my regular appointment, the first one after starting MF on January 3. No problems to report.

For those who know, I do have an additional question about the hair loss thing, though, because my friend who has been on MF since Labor Day (and has lost over 80 pounds so far!) is starting to experience it. I assured her that I had read here that it isn't permanent, and the hair will grow back. She wanted to know if it would grow back while she was still on MF, or if she would have to wait until she completed the program and went back to "real" food.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Unca_Tim » January 25th, 2005, 12:46 pm

Hi Guys,
Click on the "Search" button at the top of the page and do a search for "hair and loss" (without the quotes).

It's been covered pretty well. If you still don't find your answer, feel free to continue this post.

Of course, anyone's opinions or experiences are always welcome on this thread.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby explorthis » January 25th, 2005, 12:55 pm

Though I have never had my hair colored, I have been “foiled” over and over (arr-arr-arr-arr-arr!!)

As for the hair loss, there was not much of a data base on the Makemethinner site, like there is now. I was not really aware of the potential for hair loss. I think the wealth of knowledge here, is worth a TON! I did Medifast for literally 4 months, NOTHING but shakes, and I never experienced anything real odd, nor did I experience hair loss of any type.

Constipation is a promise, if you’re doing Medifast regularly.

I did have some dry skin on my hands and arms, but as a typical man, I did nothing about it.

Did experience the infrequent Orthostatic Hypotension (blood pressure drop)

I might have been one of the lucky ones. Looking back, my total “journey” was basically hassle free.

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby DutchChoc » January 25th, 2005, 1:00 pm

24K, on the flipside to explorthis, I was on shakes for 102 days and have been on "real food" for the past three months, and my hair loss has only very recently slowed down.
Ending weight MF 10/2004: 126
Starting weight 12/1/08: 168 :-(
Loss December: -7/-0
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby Marseilles » January 25th, 2005, 1:15 pm

Having been one of the ones to post about extreme hairloss, I am curious. Do you have thyroid problems? I took Omega three pills and it helped some, the hairloss curbed after a while though and the new growth is wild. Its coming back no problem. Wish I had waited a while before panicking and cutting my waist length hair out of fear, but it is growing out just fine. If you have any questions regarding it, feel free to send me a private message! :)
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby Lois » January 25th, 2005, 1:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I was on MF for 5 months....most of the time "shakes only".....and lost 60 pounds. I've dropped another 10 pounds eating "real food" since November.

I have VERY thin hair (the only part of me that is THIN without TRYING!!!!!!! ;) !!!!!!!) and I did not experience hair loss while on MF. Thank God! If I'd lost hair, I'd be BALD for sure :shock: :shock: :shock:

I began GROWING my hair (it was buzzed down to a quarter inch for about 6 years) just befor starting MF, and it's been growing great ever since.

It's now about 4 inches long, and I started dreadlocks right before Christmas. They're growing great, starting to "lock", and life is good 8)

The intersting thing is that I seem to have new hair growth...on my head, thank God!....which means that somehow my hair is getting thicker! Honest!

Along with eating a healthy "maintainance" diet, I'm taking a multivitamin for women and essential oils every day. Many people have commented that I don't look like someone who has lost 70 pounds....my skin and hair are in great shape, and I don't have a lot of "loose" skin. BTW, I'm 46.... Genetics helps....but so does the high protein soy based MF shakes and a healthy lifestyle.

Take care of yourself....and good luck!

Lois
Lois
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Sylvia » January 25th, 2005, 1:52 pm

I'll chime in too. I had no hair loss at all. I think I had my hair highlighted a couple of times with no ill effects either.

Like Mike, I suffered no side effects at all and a few weeks in started feeling better than I've felt in a long time!
Sylvia

Postby Guest » January 25th, 2005, 2:30 pm

I haven't experienced any of the hair loss, but I am only 2 weeks into the plan. My biggest concern was with the potential of hair loss/thinning while on MF, I wanted some "expert" advice from those that have colored their hair.

As usual, I just need to ask the question here and I get a wealth of info.
I was planning on getting some of the b vitamins and biotin as directed somewhere here as well.

From the responses I'm pretty comfortable making the trip to the stylist in the next few weeks. Thanks everyone!

Maura

Postby bk » January 25th, 2005, 4:36 pm

Lois - you totally cracked me up. the only part that's thin without trying!

i hear you! I'm 26 and *my* hair is thinning. (it's both thin and thinning on top).

i'm due for my cut & color on friday (my calendar reminds me every 6 weeks - gotta keep that thin hair short!), but i'm putting it off for a while. i will, however, remember to report any effects when i get it done, just for reference. hopefully all i'll have to report is that my hair looks great and my stylist thinks i look faaaabulous darling.
bk
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » January 26th, 2005, 8:55 am

Here are some links for you, Kids

http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14120#14120

http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1238&highlight=hair+loss

http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=969&highlight=hair+loss

Sorry, I am totally swamped with email inquiries, meetings, etc. Getting ready to go out of town.

No probs with having your fur colored, twittled, cut, permed, etc.

Mine fur did thin and I was on the complete fast - shakes only for three months, then had some other combinations of MF products intermittently but mostly shakes for my weight loss journey.

I have skinny hair like Lois, except for my arms and face.
xxxooo Gorilla Girl
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Hair loss & color

Postby NE gal in South » January 26th, 2005, 12:21 pm

I have baby fine hair in texture that was very full. It has thinned out somewhat. However, I have discovered that it appears much thicker after having a semi-permanent rinse (done every 6 to 8 weeks) to cover the gray. My medical doctor assures me it will grow back as it was before the 120 pounds started to melt away.

Still Shaking!!!! - 40 pounds to goal!!!!
cmc
NE gal in South

Postby raederle » January 26th, 2005, 12:59 pm

120 pounds!!! :shock: You're amazing! Congratulations!!! I think if I'd lost that much I'd be just as happy wearing a ski hat all day to cover the baldness, if it came right down to it! (Of course, I have thin, skimpy hair to start with, so not much love to lose vis-a-vis my hair anyway...)

I always wondered, by the way-- how come the pound clubs stop at 100? I'd think that 120 pounds, 130 pounds, 140 pounds, etc. is just as big a milestone (bigger, technically! :mrgreen: ) as 100 is.
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » January 26th, 2005, 1:36 pm

Yup, I lost some hair during the weight loss phase. It's very common when dieting so it didn't alarm me. I have VERY thin hair and VERY little of it. It still grew back. I also had my hair colored during my loss phase with no ill effects. Losing a bit of hair is ok because it will grow back, and the health benefits from losing that dreaded weight far outweigh the temporary hair loss concerns.

Shake on!
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot

Postby 24KaratGold » January 26th, 2005, 1:40 pm

hawaiiwhatnot wrote:Yup, I lost some hair during the weight loss phase. It's very common when dieting so it didn't alarm me. I have VERY thin hair and VERY little of it. It still grew back. I also had my hair colored during my loss phase with no ill effects. Losing a bit of hair is ok because it will grow back, and the health benefits from losing that dreaded weight far outweigh the temporary hair loss concerns.

Shake on!
Camille
The health benefits are a big thing, no doubt. I have to admit that if I start to have any serious hair loss it might derail me. I have long, thick, red hair, and I'm very vain about it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Next

Return to Come on in.