Any Good Tips For Travelling While On MF?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Any Good Tips For Travelling While On MF?

Postby RUCHEERFUL » June 19th, 2006, 7:32 pm

Hi All!

I'm just beginning my 3rd week on MF and have lost 9 pounds. This is very exciting and I want to continue on this path to success.

Here is my dilemma. I'll be flying to another state this weekend to attend a wedding. Any good tips to share for following MF while travelling and visiting with friends and relatives?

Thank you so much!
Peace,
Rue

Start Date: 6/10/06, 5'9"

RUCHEERFUL
Regular Member - #40 Club

Postby sidrah » June 19th, 2006, 9:34 pm

Well, if you have the Ready to Drink boxes of shakes that could be pretty easy for you. Flying, though, and cost of luggage might be not be a great option if that makes a difference to you.

Personally, what I would do is bring the hot drink and cold drink packets. Weigh less and easier to carry hidden between clothing- less room, less bags!

You could always get water bottles or hot boiled water. Here is a tip I found and it really works for me. Walgreeens sells a 32 oz. plastic cup with one of those thick bendy straws with a little straw cover. I carry that with me cause it gives me enough room to mix and I can cover and shake and also later, I can fill it and see how much I am drinking. I can always go to the hotel ice machine adn fill it up, then make my cold drink. Personallly, I do not like shakes all that much unless I blend them up and get them frothy. Shaking them doesn't do it for me cause I don't get the ice chunks. In a pinch, it'll do, though.

There's always bars if you eat them and I am sure there will be plenty of food for you to to get in the vegetables and some sort of protein.

Enjoy
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Diana » June 19th, 2006, 9:55 pm

Mike, my dh, just left on Friday. Based on modeling from Dayna, our HA, he organized his packets and snacks by day and put them in ziploc baggies labeled by day. We got several of the OTHER shaker bottles with the flip cap -- easier in a moving vehicle (personal experience on this one!). You can also mix your drinks directly in a water bottle.

He also froze a bunch of RTDs and put them in a cooler with his water, etc. (Obviously, he's driving.)

Use the hot water from the in-room coffee maker for oatmeal, soup or the hot drinks. (Take spoons with you, though. Mike found the coffee stirrers less than adequate to the task.)

For L&G, most restaurants have a chicken or salmon salad (no croutons or other carb-type crunchies, dressing on the side). And most will do a grilled chicken breast with steamed veggies, no sauce of any kind, if you ask them even if it's not on the menu.

Happy travels!
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby VTGirlie » June 20th, 2006, 6:09 am

My guess is that if you just started and got the starter pkg you don't have any ready to drinks? Those are the easiest way to go when traveling. You can add them to your next order! :)

As for this time around, I did the same thing on a trip my second week into the program. Couple of tips:

Hot chocolate, chai, and capuccino are great for "hotel breakfasts" where they have HOT water available. No one really notices the difference!

Shakes travel very easily. I used little 8 oz bottles of water, opened and drank a sip, snipped the corner off of the packet (so the opening wasn't so big) and poured into the bottle. I shook it up and drank it, and then was able to pitch the bottle rather than carrying it around! It worked out very nicely! I also have a couple of rubbermaid "juice boxes" and one shaker/drink bottle by rubbermaid that would work just as well if you are in the hotel room.

Also, some hotels have hot water in the lobby, and some of the more basic soups (chicken noodle, tomato) are easy to prepare.

You might want to stay away from ones that have to sit awhile, like chili and minestrone.

Also, bars are very portable for times when you are out and about!

I have found restaurants to be extremely accomodating as far as the LNG is concerned. Most will replace starches with extra veggies or a salad, and that eliminates a lot of temptation.

Most of alll, have fun and enjoy!

Good luck!

Bets
Bets
235/204MFStart/182/135
"Nothing is as good as this day"
VTGirlie
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Travelling While on MF

Postby RUCHEERFUL » June 20th, 2006, 9:06 am

Sidrah, Diana, Bets :D

Many thanks for the wonderful tips!

You've gotten me thinking and I will now have many options to see this trip through while remaining on-plan!!

Thank you too for the great answers to my very first post on this board--what a nice group--so glad I found it!

Peace,
Rue
Peace,
Rue

RUCHEERFUL

Travel

Postby RUCHEERFUL » June 20th, 2006, 9:08 am

PS--Congratulations on your pounds lost and gone forever!! Amazing results!!
Peace,
Rue

RUCHEERFUL

Postby Mike » June 20th, 2006, 9:39 pm

Well, it seems Diana beat me to the response. I am on a trip as we speak. I have an oatmeal, a shake package, a bar, and hot cocoa in a ziplock, and a bunch of RTD's in the cooler.
It works. When we are in a motel I mix the oatmeal with hot water (either from the continental breakfast or the coffee pot). The rest I do on the road.
I have found that I need to put the bar in the cooler... the tend to melt in the trunk... :mrgreen:
Good luck.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Travel

Postby RUCHEERFUL » June 22nd, 2006, 9:28 am

Mike,

Many thanks for your informative reply--very helpful!!

(I tried to send the thank you last night, but the site went down.)

Thanks again-
Peace,
Rue

RUCHEERFUL

Hi

Postby dede4wd » June 23rd, 2006, 10:18 pm

I've been on the road all but 3 weeks of the program, so I know a ton of tricks! PM me if you need any specific info! Doing MF on the road is a breeze!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby sidrah » June 23rd, 2006, 11:41 pm

It seems like it would be easier on the road. No kitchen and spices to whip food up. You just are kind of stuck with what you have if you don't shop. So, I could see how it would be easy if you plan ahead and bring your foods.
sidrah
Preferred member

Travel

Postby RUCHEERFUL » June 24th, 2006, 5:03 am

DeDe, Sidrah,

Many thanks for your kind words of encouragement!!

I think I'm good to go after getting lots of good tips . . .

I'll be flying out this AM and managed to find a "hot pot" @ Bed Bath and Beyond in the area for college-bound students. This will let me heat-up water quickly for oatmeal, soups, etc. while at the hotel.

The hotel has a mini-fridge so I'll just need to stock-up on water once I get there.

Let's hope the wedding dinner entrees are lean and green (I'll find a way to do my best!!).

Many thanks again!!

(DeDe: Your results are wonderful!!! Congratulations!!!!)

This is such a friendly site!!!
Peace,
Rue

RUCHEERFUL

Return to Weight Loss