Any Business Graduates or Venture Capitalists Out There?

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Any Business Graduates or Venture Capitalists Out There?

Postby mellowmom » July 1st, 2006, 9:22 pm

I may have to get another job... things are starting to get a bit wonky with my current employer.

I came across a position on an online job board that looked interesting so I emailed the company my resume and mentioned my interest in a Division Manager position with them...even though I didn't have the "required" 5 yrs management experience.

Got an email from the Regional Director yesterday saying she looked over my resume and thinks I would be perfect for a DM job in her region so we're going to do a phone interview on Tuesday...(Yes, I know it's the 4th of July!)

Its with a new Venture Capital group. I've googled the company and can't find anything on it, other than it appears to be hiring like crazy both in the US and Canada. (Egads...I think it's the "s" word...a Start-up!!! Shades of 2000 and the dotcom bust.)

The company has an interesting philosophy, which I find intriguing. They divide the country into regions, each region contains 12 districts and within each district is 32 micro-markets. My problem is that I lack enough, check that...any, knowledge of what makes for a good Venture capital business. I took one business course as an undegrad (Business Law) and one micro-economics course, both during the "dark ages" of the '70's. So I haven't a clue if the concept is a viable one.

The position offers amazing benefits to their DM's, one of which is they will guarantee you a loan at prime to purchase a home, or upgrade to a nicer one with zero dollars down! Full medical dental and they pay to have your taxes done each year.

If there is anyone there who has some spare time and could check out their website and let me know what you think, I'd appreciate it. I don't want to disclose the URL right now, but if you're interested and/or willing to peruse the site and let me know what you think, just send me a PM and I'll send you the url.

Thanks again for any and all help. Your 2 cents worth will be appreciated.

Carmel
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » July 2nd, 2006, 4:34 pm

I know what venture means and I know what capitalist means...put them together...I'm not so bright! Hope someone can help you! I watch TV for a living...

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Ketann » July 3rd, 2006, 7:00 am

DeDe what degree do you need to watch tv for a living? How much does it pay? I'm currently house cleaner, dog bather, and cook and the pay stinks. Oh, I do laundry and ironing also.
Ketann
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Re: Hi

Postby wildtrk » July 3rd, 2006, 11:16 am

dede4wd wrote:I know what venture means and I know what capitalist means...put them together...I'm not so bright! Hope someone can help you! I watch TV for a living...

DeDe

VC's are typically someone who will invest in a company or an idea for a piece of the pie. Basically they are risk takers....mostly highly calculated risk takers. After the dot com bust in 2000/2001 the VC dollars dried up in the technology sector. In order to get any funding now from a VC you have to have an extremely tight business plan.
327/247/199
MF Start Date 4/14/06
10# - 4/26 40# - 5/25 70# - 7/27
20# - 5/04 50# - 6/18 80# - 8/31
30# - 5/15 60# - 7/1

New Start Date 1/22/10
Starting weight 355/345/199
10# - 2/2/10

"How long does getting thin take?" Pooh asked anxiously.
wildtrk
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Return to What's Shakin'