Do you have any special incentives or rewards?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Postby Unca_Tim » March 28th, 2006, 11:56 am

SkinnyMama wrote:(currently do 45 minutes cadio 4-5x's a week and weights 30 minutes 3x's a week with a trainer)

ummmm.....did you read the quickstart book on exercise?
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby BerkshireGrl » March 28th, 2006, 2:02 pm

Unca_Tim wrote:
SkinnyMama wrote:(currently do 45 minutes cadio 4-5x's a week and weights 30 minutes 3x's a week with a trainer)

ummmm.....did you read the quickstart book on exercise?

You know, I was just looking at it, and it's funny, but it does not say "limit yourself to 45 minutes a day". It says begin light to moderate exercise at about Week 3, start off slow, gradually increase time and intensity... also low intensity strength training can be used... listen to your body and don't overdo it.

So, going by that, SkinnyMama's workouts look good to me. Am I missing sumthing? :)
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby Unca_Tim » March 28th, 2006, 2:07 pm

Still being a newbie to the forum, i just assumed she's fairly new to the program. I may be wrong there. Without looking at the quickstart, i believe you're sposed to cut your normal exercise by 1/2 til week 3 to allow your body to adust to the lower calorie intake.

If her normal exercise routine before starting Medifast has been double what she posted, she may be ok, if she's past week 3 on the program.

Just seemed a little excessive if she just started the program.

If your weight loss is less than you expected, you may want to cut back on the exercise a bit for a couple weeks.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby BerkshireGrl » March 28th, 2006, 2:18 pm

Unca Tim, it does say:

Unless you are already exercising, you should not begin an exercise program in the first few weeks of weight loss.

If exercise is new to you, start with low intensity aerobic exercise such as walking, swimming or cycling for about 10 minutes, 3 days a week. If this is comfortable, you may gradually increase time and intensity.

If you are already exercising, you may continue, but listen to your body. In the beginning of your 5 & 1 Plan, you may feel a need to decrease the intensity of your exercise until your body adapts to the Plan. It won't be long before you can gradually increase the intensity of your exercise. Slow or stop exercise if adverse symptoms occur such as increased fatigue, dizziness or light-headedness.

(I agree, if she was just getting the ball rolling on the fitness, that looks like a pretty intense week! I'd be collapsed on the gym floor ;) But then, I am TOTALLY out of shape right now! My own YMCA trips will begin next week I think...)
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby veritas » March 28th, 2006, 2:31 pm

Well that took a strange turn didn't it?

NEways- My reward will be to buy some sleeveless shirts. I know this sounds trivial but I have not been able to wear anything sleeveless for years. I have always been embarrassed of my flabby arms. I am hoping to get them tanned too. You can imagine how white they are after all these years of hiding! :lol:

I think that new clothes isn't really a splurge, its a need since we are ALL getting so SKINNY!!!

(Sorry had to edit my spelling) :oops:
veritas
Regular Member - #10 Club

Re: Do you have any special incentives or rewards?

Postby BerkshireGrl » March 28th, 2006, 2:48 pm

Geri,

I don't have cute outfits on my wall though I love the "real" incentive of that!

I have some pictures I cut out of an Anthropologie catalog of beautiful dresses and I taped them together in a strip and put it on the wall next to my PC. They are real stunners... and I would LOVE to get one (or two, or... hee hee!) when I get to Goal! Too bad I can't tape a dress photo onto this post ;) They have one called the "regatta dress": "Cherry red stripes race around stretch cotton, creating a winning hourglass silhouette." My absolute fav!

I've been dressing in boring jeans and long big shirts for sooo long... I think I will burn them at the end ;) Well, ok, give them to the Salvation Army if they are in good shape still! :lol:
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby Pashta » March 28th, 2006, 6:08 pm

From the Medifast FAQ on their website:

Exercising on Medifast
Can I exercise when I'm on the Medifast 5 & 1 plan?
Yes, you can, but we suggest limiting the amount of exercise, especially in the beginning. It takes three to four weeks for the body to adapt to the Medifast plan and use the fat stores for energy.

What type of exercise (and how much) is recommended?
If you haven't been exercising at all, wait three to four weeks until you have adapted to the Medifast program. Then start your exercise plan very slowly. Begin with gentle walking, 10 to 20 minutes per day, and then gradually increase the amount. If you have been exercising prior to starting Medifast, cut your current plan by half during the first three weeks, then gradually build it back up.

What is the maximum amount of exercise I can do?
While you are on Medifast, limit intense exercise such as running, biking or swimming to a total of 45 minutes a day. Over exercising will actually slow your weight-loss progress.

BTW, Veritas, I was *always* embarrassed of my arms lol.. even when I was 140 and 18 years old. :P
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Previous

Return to The Weight Room