Yearly visit

Questions/Comments about Women's Health Products.

Yearly visit

Postby Elizabeth » February 27th, 2007, 6:48 am

Hi all, I went to the doctor yesterday for my annual gynecological check. The doctor was pleased about the 20 lbs lost since last year but continued with "you are still at very high risk for ovarian, uterine and breast cancer with the amount of body fat you have" she went on to explain that the extra body fat increases estrogen and therefore increases risk of cancer.
She want's me to continue to lose weight (of course). I asked her what she thought of Soy products in my diet. She said that soy increases estrogen production so she wouldn't use soy. She hadn't heard of Medifast but she didn't like the "type" of plan it is...not fresh food, shakes, etc. Her explanation to that was that I don't get practice living healthy. I didn't want to get into it with her and explain how Medifast does promote healthy habits ect.
I'd like to hear what any of you have to say about this and also if someone can lead me to the list of low and no soy in Medifast products.

Thanks.
Elizabeth
Preferred Member - #20 Club

my 2 cents

Postby Seaside » February 27th, 2007, 6:53 am

Elizabeth, I'm not a health advisor and I'm still at the very beginning of the journey (again) but from my perspective, the risks presented by relatively short-term use of this program and the soy content are less than what I risk by continuing on at my current weight. I don't think that the science is good enough on the risks of soy, anyway.

My sister is going to go get gastric bypass surgery; I personally know 2 people who have died from complications from that surgery. Yes, we have some people on this list who've benefited from gastric bypass but to me that surgery has more short- as well as long-term health risks that MF.
Seaside
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Elizabeth » February 27th, 2007, 7:14 am

Thanks Seaside, I appreciate your input. I tend to agree. The doctor also said that exactly that the research is not concrete but that is the latest theory on soy so that is what she is recommending. I should have mentioned that above. She did bring up the surgery option which I was never approached with that option by a doctor...that just shows me how serious this obesity is and how important it is to get the fat off the body for health reasons..not just vanity reasons. She cares and knows the facts. I was definately affected by her talk and am feeling a little scared about my health. I've had so many starts, stops, good days, bad days and have not been consistent with the plan. I know its 99.999 % mental.
Thanks.
Elizabeth

Postby Unca_Tim » February 27th, 2007, 8:45 am

Hi Elizabeth,
Here's the nutrition guide. If you look at the little box on the right next to each product, it states whether they're soy or whey protein.

Medifast Nutrition Guide

There's a list of the soy-free products around here somewhere, but I can't find it right now. I'll hunt around and see if i can dig it up.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Serendipity » February 27th, 2007, 10:03 am

Elizabeth,

There is doctor's information available. Unca can probably steer you in the right direction. I gave it to my Dr. Many doctors don't know Medifast, so their first reaction is negative.

BTW, my dr is thrilled with my health, now.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » February 27th, 2007, 11:02 am

Here's a short outline for Physicians:
http://www.makemethinner.com/pdf/physician.pdf
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Elizabeth » February 27th, 2007, 11:10 am

Thanks Unca and Jo for the information. I will take this Friday when I have my yearly physical with my MD.
Elizabeth

Postby VictoriousNat » February 27th, 2007, 3:50 pm

E-

Funny we must be related as we have similar issues. As you know "I have a dream," so these sorts of conversation with docs bother me.

As Nancy knows, I have been down a miserable road since around October with my doctors - they all wanted me off the plan and said the soy was giving me ob/gyn issues - they then modified my plan to include fruit, more veggies and some beans and it was ok I still lost a bit - then they modified it again with more beans and I GAINED 8 lbs!!! I felt so bloated and miserable.

But I finally met with a doc yesterday (a famous genius who has been on Today Show and Sixty Minutes, so he's not an idiot) and he basically told me that getting the weight off was paramount and that I should continue. Once we have reached goal and maintained for the adequate period and developed sound habits, I see no reason why we can't then "live fresh."

I maximize my lean and green - the best meat and the best veggies. Nancy gave me a list of the non soy products and I stick to those. So that is where I am. PM me if you want more info or what to talk more.

ETA: I went back on MF Plan last Wednesday - as prescribed by MF (except for a small tangerine at midday - I will have oral surgery soon so they wanted me to eat a citrus or 2 huge bell peppers for vit c - said vit c pills won't cut it) and yesterday at the doctor's his scale showed that I have lost 6 of the 8lbs. I can't wait to see what Sunday holds when i weigh in.

With their modifications I could not bear to drink all my water even because my stomach felt so distended, but I have been drinking up my water now and feel pretty positive.
Nat
Start 8/24/06
Lost 34lbs and over 30 Inches. Regained 9lbs. Down 4lbs on vacation in Jamaica - yeehaw!
Waiting for Doctor's clearance to restart MF.
VictoriousNat
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Return to Women's Health