Who here is on Full Fast 6+0?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Who here is on Full Fast 6+0?

Postby BamaBabe » July 16th, 2006, 5:40 pm

Just really curious about this... because I started on the 5+1 plan just under a week ago, and decided by day two that there was WAY too much temptation for me to even TOUCH food to my mouth, so I flipped over to full-fast right away as a preventative measure. :roll:

I have NO willpower & have convinced myself that this is "required medicine"... Doing FANTASTIC on it too, because I can cook "for the kids & Hubby", and make a mental explaination to myself that I can only have a packet as "medicine" for the pudgy-booty-go-bye-bye issue... 8)

Wondering who all else is on the full fast, and do you have families at home, do ya do the cookin', do you live alone, how ya hanging with it, and for how long so far? :?:

Enquiring minds want to know :D 8)
Nikki :woohoo:
*~Giving myself my figure back for Christmas!~*
5'10" - ReStart:8/11/06
10#=8/14/06 20#-?
BamaBabe
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Mike » July 16th, 2006, 10:49 pm

I know that Arklahoma is. I've done it on some days, but usually I try to do 5 & 1 just because I don't want to feel like I lacked eating something.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Sarya » July 17th, 2006, 5:47 am

If you are going to continue to do the full fast I would reccomend that you go to your doctor for a full blood work up. There are nutrients that you will not get doing the full fast, so it's very important that a doctor monitors your blood test results.
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby LiLYipper » July 17th, 2006, 8:03 am

I'm also switching to the full fast for at least the next three days...after that I'm not sure. Like you, I just can't face food at this point. Perhaps once the detox period is over, but not right now.
LiLYipper
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby BamaBabe » July 17th, 2006, 8:08 am

If you are going to continue to do the full fast I would reccomend that you go to your doctor for a full blood work up. There are nutrients that you will not get doing the full fast, so it's very important that a doctor monitors your blood test results.

Like what nutrients? :?:
Nikki :woohoo:
*~Giving myself my figure back for Christmas!~*
5'10" - ReStart:8/11/06
10#=8/14/06 20#-?
BamaBabe
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Karli » July 17th, 2006, 8:28 am

hmmm... well, I have been on MF for a little over two weeks and only did the full fast for two days of that. I plan to do that periodically, especially if I need a kick in my losing's pants. To address a couple of your other questions, for the most part, I have been able to cook for my hubby with relative ease. And actually, me cooking for him is not anything that he expects, but for some reason I enjoyed the idea of it even more knowing that I wasn't going to have to eat that stuff, too.

Of course I used to taste things as I went along to make sure it's going successfully but haven't been able to do that since I started MF'ing. Somehow that just made me feel more creative. But, I am not sure how I would feel should I be forced to cook separate meals for him all the time. He has started eating L/G's with me when I do that, and we have extras in the freezer... so if I am full fasting when he is around, he can just pull something out of the freezer on his own.

Actually, that is something you may want to consider with having kids and all. Either preparing some things ahead of time and freezing them up for little-hassel during the week meals, having the hubinator BBQ more often, or getting pre-made frozen stuff (like fishes, chicken breasts... etc).

Just out of curiousity, when you were doing the 5/1 did you carefully measure things out ? I only ask because in that case, you can treat it something like a supplement. Just put all measured portions in a bowl and that is just all you get (like set servings/portions of supplements).

Best wishes on your continued journey.

Karli
Karli
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Sarya » July 17th, 2006, 9:16 am

People have talked about this issue both on this board and on the other mf boards. Most of my information came directly from my doctor, but I am trying to find some info for you now. This is going to be a little rambly as I brain dump what I remember.

The complete plan (full fast) is considered a VLCD (very low calorie diet). Some doctors seem to consider the 5&1 plan to be VLCD and others LCD.

The reason why people on the full fast require monitoring is because they are eating such a low calorie plan. They are also taking in considerably less fiber than is ideal. Although the supplements are supposed to provide us with enough vitamins and such some people end up needing a potassium supplement which is something no one should ever add on their own, but only under supervision from a doctor. Having too much potassium is extremely dangerous as is having too little.

Under doctor supervision you usually need to get your blood pressure and pulse checked every month, blood tests done every 2-4 weeks, and EKGs and the like done every couple months.

There is the possibility that people on the complete are more susceptible to gallstones; although all of us who are considered obese are more susceptible than those who are not.

My doctor in general told me that if I did the complete plan they had to watch my liver function, gallbladder function, heart rate, and other stuff I can't remember. She had said that it is generally due to the lower calorie content but also since I wouldn't be eating any regular food there are some nutrients that I will not have as much of. I didn't really ask details because I know this from when I was a vegetarian. There are certain omega-3 fatty acids that you just don't get as a strict vegetarian. I would imagine the same is true of anyone not eating meat or fish daily.

So in summary, the reason why a doctor should supervise you is because you could potentially have an electrolyte imbalance, begin to develop gallstones, have reduced liver function, heart rate anomalies.. they just want to keep you safe. We're already eating about 800 calories. the full fast is probably 600. That's very low.

I hope Ark chimes in at some point. Not only is she on the complete plan, but she's a nurse!

I ended up choosing not to do the complete plan through my doctor because my insurance wouldn't pay for any of the blood work. If I go into the doctor semi-regularly for blood work it's fine, but it went for it through the nutrition program they have it wouldn't have been. I hate my insurance. That's not the only thing they've refused to pay that I've needed. I like the 5&1 anyway. I really look forward to that one meal a day that is (in my mind) actual food.
Sarya

Postby jump4joy » July 17th, 2006, 11:38 am

I've been doing MF this time around since March 31st of this year, after having lost 10 lbs. between January and March before I got serious about it on the 31st. I go back and forth between the Complete and the 5 & 1, and am also under the supervision of a Dr or his Nurse Practitioner (who I like better than the doc!). I've done this plan a few times before, doing the Full Fast (that's what they called it then), with only 5 shakes a day (450 calories!) and lost about 80 lbs. that time....got a little too skinny. I'm glad the Complete plan now allows 6-7 supplements....a big improvement I think, so my body isn't living so much on the edge. I go back and forth between plans because of the convenience and also because some days my energy requirements demand it. I'm very tuned in to my body and appetite.

I take a multi-vitamin, 3 Total EFA gelcaps (for the essential fatty acids and oils, for dry skin and avoiding hair loss), SAM-e (for depression and joint-health), 1000 mcg. of biotin (to avoid hair-loss this time), Milk Thistle (an herb that supports liver function), and Grape Seed capsule (a powerful anti-oxidant).

I have a hubby and two teenage girls to cook for, and that is probably my biggest challenge on some days.....sometimes it bothers me to cook, and sometimes it has no affect at all. It would be easier if I didn't have to cook for others, but I love 'em so I make the best of it. I try to do crockpot meals (today I'm making them a yummy BBQ shredded pork with homemade coleslaw on soft wheat buns). I try to make freezer meals on the days that cooking doesnt bother me, and that helps a LOT.
I cook very healthy for them.....no high-fat foods...I don't keep junk food in the house but have plenty of healthy snacks on hand. We don't drink soda at our house...never have! That's one good habit I taught my girls....we dislike it....too sweet and too fizzy. My hubby never drinks pop either. We've always ordered water to drink when we eat out (no matter what I weighed).

I'm doing great this time around. Losing a little slower, but that's okay with me. I haven't been PERFECT...one of my mottos being "Progress, Not Perfection". I have had some off-plan foods occasionally, but I won't call it a "cheat" because I planned it. I NEVER say "I blew it!" if I slip.....it's only a "Pause". I lost successfully on MF twice before and I was "perfect" with not ONE "cheat" or off-plan food. I'm not knocking that....it's ONE way to get it done, and I give kudos to those who do that. But for me now, I'm trying to get away from my perfectionistic, all-or-nothing tendencies of the past. I believe that is what contributed to my subsequent weight gains. I aim to be compliant 90--99% of the time....to allow for imperfection or a hard day....and I'm still making very good progress. The few off-plan foods I've eaten have been healthy foods.....never junk.....and I feel that I've made some very good progress in my attitudes about food. I control food.....it doesn't control ME.

Sorry to ramble,......got off on a tangent. :mrgreen:

Joy :heart:
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Serendipity » July 17th, 2006, 12:57 pm

I'll just address the difference between the 5&1 and the complete plan in regards to weight loss. I was on the complete plan 15 years ago at age 34 and lost 113 pounds in 9 months. This time at age 49, I've lost 106 pounds in 9 months. I would say that the two plans are about the same for weight loss.....I'm 15 yrs. older and have lost just a little bit less while on the 5 & 1.

For me, the 5&1 has been much easier on my digestive system. I had alot of constipation with the complete plan and when I went off of the complete plan, my body revolted big time. With the 5&1, everything there is pretty normal although less frequent than when I was shoveling food in 24-7.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby supermom » July 17th, 2006, 1:02 pm

Well, on most days I do a full plan. But, there are days when I do have a l&g. I have 3 children and a husband. Sometimes it is hard. Other times it is easy. My kids, though, ask me often why I don't eat food anymore. That bothers me. I want to show them a healthy lifestyle. I don't want to confuse them. My mother is a recovering anorexic. I don't want to be like her. I cook healthy, and we are learning to like it. I used to cook with lots of cheese and cream and grease---you know, down home cookin!! Sometimes I do wonder if I am setting a good example by using medifast. But I have decided not to question it. If I get my weight under control now, and continue my family with HEALTHY eating habits, they will see that the medifast was the tool that I needed to get me to a healthy weight so that I could join them with "regular" meals.
supermom

Postby alpha femme » July 17th, 2006, 2:39 pm

i did the full fast for about 7 weeks. i recently went to 5/1 because have plateaued and some think i am too active for a full fast. either way, the weightloss is fairly similar for most. i understand the fear of food; it's why i did the complete plan to begin with. i will probably go back to it in a few days but with 7 shakes.

i will say that, for me, the dizzyness and lightheadedness never really abated. this probably indicates not enough calories. i also will say that once you go to the 5/1, it does NOT trigger bingng. i thought it might, but it has not. this has actually relieved me quite a bit. but it is crazy to know that when i feel hungry i can have tuna and green beans and feel as happy as if i'd had a plate of cookies. the one problem with this is that when i eat my lng, i feel like i have "cheated." this may never go away, and that might be beneficial. it keeps me accountable.

i've heard it is easier to do the 6/0 until you are happy and in the zone and then add a lng if you desire it. or, when you feel like you are going to cheat, instead of reaching for cookies, get some chicken and cauliflower. either way, i know what it is like to be afraid of food. i don't think it will ever go away, so we have to learn to deal with it sooner or later.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby Arklahoma » July 21st, 2006, 4:53 pm

I have to pretty much agree with Sarya on her description of the complete plan. It is a very low calorie diet (VLCD) and in the category of protein sparing modified fast (PSMF). It does provide plenty of protein to spare your muscles from wasting away but it does take away regular food so it's considered a fast.

Because of work-related stuff, I'm actually eating real food this week, but will return to the fast probably at the end of next week. This version of the diet requires medical supervision b/c it can potentially cause many issues with even healthy individuals. Because your body shifts into a fat-based fuel source and the calorie consumption is very low, fluids can shift and electrolyte levels can vary dramatically. Please see a doctor if you're going to utilize the complete plan.

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Aerie » July 21st, 2006, 6:44 pm

I do full fast most days and 5/1 on days when I want to enjoy a meal with my hubby. I do love to cook and go out to eat, primarily on Sundays. I really don't notice too much difference with losses on weeks when I have the 5/1 and weeks when I don't. Maybe a half a pound or so. Maybe none.
Aerie

Return to Weight Loss