What's your Turkey Day Game Plan?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

What is your Turkey Day Game Plan?

100% compliant (that's the plan)
50%
Trying to be good (but temptation may sway me)
29%
Eating everything for "the meal" but getting right back on Thursday Night.
21%
Going willy nilly...it's all over but the crying until Monday.
No votes

Total votes : 14

What's your Turkey Day Game Plan?

Postby dede4wd » November 22nd, 2006, 7:40 pm

I'm just curious. I do everything better with a plan. Wondering what yours is.

Myself, I have 2 MFers in my house, 2 Atkins devotees, and 1 normal food guy (who has agreed this holiday might be...interesting and is coming anyway!)

Here's my plan...
Turkey (Duh)
Mashed Cauliflower (practice run went well)
Green beans
and two recipes I found I'm going to try...
Legal Pumpkin pie & Legal Stuffing (iffy, but doable!)

Taking a poll too! Also, after Turkey Day, how did you do?

DeDe
Last edited by dede4wd on November 22nd, 2006, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby dede4wd » November 22nd, 2006, 8:01 pm

Leave it to me to mess up the poll!

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby DogMa » November 22nd, 2006, 8:07 pm

Hee. This year I'm on maintenance, so I'm just going to enjoy dinner and try not to go overboard.

But last year I did well. I made sure they were having a plain veggie (they steamed some broccoli for me), and I basically had turkey and broccoli - just your basic lean and green. A couple of hours later, when people were going back for seconds on pie, I had a Medifast cocoa (or maybe pudding; it's been awhile).

I think one big key is making sure you eat on your regular schedule the rest of the day, so you're not starving when the big meal comes. I also brought clothes that weren't at all loose, so I knew I didn't have much leeway. And I was seeing people I hadn't seen in a while, so I was enjoying the compliments enough to help me resist the food. Finally, I'd already decided I wasn't going to indulge or go off plan, so it just wasn't even an option. (Although later in the weekend, I admit, I had a bit more of a slip plus one planned cheat.)

P.S. I didn't vote, since none of those really applies.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » November 22nd, 2006, 8:20 pm

You're right, Robin, I'm wearing tight pants!

I'm sorry, I forgot to put an "I'm in maintenance" category in my tragically fracked poll!

I'm adopting your mantra...
I'd already decided I wasn't going to indulge or go off plan, so it just wasn't even an option.

Thanks!

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby Nova » November 22nd, 2006, 11:02 pm

I'm planning to have a mild splurge tomorrow. We're planning on duck (because I've never had it), steamed cauliflower, garlic-cheese biscuits, and we got 2 slices of frozen apple pie for dessert. This way, we get something sweet, but we don't have the whole pie sitting around for 2 people. And the rest of the day is a regular MF day for me.
244/171

Would you rather eat what you want, or wear what you want?
Nova
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby bikipatra » November 23rd, 2006, 3:55 am

I am going to have a small piece of tofurkey with no stuffing and some green beans. Or I may just have a shake. I only started yesterday so I am not going to risk derailing.
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Serendipity » November 23rd, 2006, 4:41 am

Last year I was compliant. I had just started MF, so that was the only way for me.

This year I will have my usual portions of L&G and will add a few bites of what looks good to me. That way, I'll fill up faster on the "good food" and not have alot of room for the extras. We're actually going to a big buffet dinner in the city because my almost due daughter in law doesn't want to travel far from her hospital.

I had the same plan last night, but ended up staying compliant because nothing else really looked good to me. Today will be different, though, because today is the traditional turkey dinner and I know there will be lots of stuff I like.

I voted in the poll even though the "compliant with a few added bites" wasn't there, lol.....I think this poll could have had a gizillion variations.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Denise » November 23rd, 2006, 11:02 am

I have to work today. Judging by the food that was brought into the office last year, I do believe being compliant..shall be easy! :lol:
Denise
Preferred member

Hi

Postby dede4wd » November 23rd, 2006, 12:40 pm

Sorry you're stuck working Denise...I hope the shift goes fast. Stuffing and pumpkin pie...not so sure how it's turning out...Glad I have lots of veggies! Hurrying to the store to go get SF jello just in case!

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby bikipatra » November 24th, 2006, 5:21 am

I SO need to get some Lactaid. I have been on Medifast before without these problems. My stomach starts churning first after I drink a shake and THEN it feels like I have HUGE pockets of air in my intestines...I was too sick to eat anything but a boiled egg for Thanksgiving.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Drama Queen » November 24th, 2006, 11:14 am

This was my Thanksgiving strategy from Maintenance Land:

Breakfast: MF Oatmeal

Mid Morning: MF Bar

Lunch: MF Oatmeal

Afternoon: MF Punch & Soy Crisps

Dinner @ 5:00 PM: Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner - Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Yams, Green Beans, Black Olives, Roll & Butter, Cranberry Jello Salad, Pumpkin Pie w/Real Whipped Cream and water to drink. Small portions but enough to fill me up.

Evening: MF Cappucino

By using the MF meals I was full during the day and enjoyed my Thanksgiving Dinner and all the yummy tastes in small portions. The benefit?? I woke up today down a pound from yesterday!!
Start Date 1/22/06
Age 53 / Height 5'9"

Drama Queen
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Serendipity » November 24th, 2006, 5:38 pm

Well, my strategy worked out great. The only variation on my usual day was to add a few bites of stuffing, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, and a tiny little piece of pumpkin pie. I omitted my MF bar for the first time because I just didn't want it. I drank an RTD in it's place.

I woke up this morning, still 1 pound from my goal and though I thought I might get hungry today, it didn't happen. It's been a great day.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity

Hi

Postby dede4wd » November 24th, 2006, 5:56 pm

Jo,
Willing that pound to go away...TODAY!

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby DogMa » November 28th, 2006, 10:08 pm

I did fine on Thanksgiving, but the rest of the weekend was something of a challenge. I was visiting family, and they don't watch what they eat at all. Plus they're incredibly inactive. At one point we went to someplace that had nothing but greasy burgers and fries (no salads, no chicken sandwich, nothing), so I had a BFL bar and grabbed something slightly better later on.

The good news is I went for a walk/run the first day, and then took a few days off (because it was too cold out). Skipping my workouts and being that inactive made me realize how much I've come to LOVE working out and how much more energy I have because of it. The more we sat around, the more tired and lazy I became. It was awful.

So I came away with a lot more hope that I'll be able to maintain successfully and won't backslide into old habits. Even when I felt like I'd pigged out, I looked back at what I ate and realized it really wasn't nearly as bad as I thought (at dim sum, for instance, I made sure we got lots of veggie dishes, and I ended up filling up on things like eggplant and asparagus, with just a little of the other stuff; another day I felt like I'd eaten a ton at lunch, but then realized all I'd had was a salad and a turkey breast sandwich with mustard and lots of lettuce and tomato - and I'd discarded half the bread).

Got home late last night, but was back on the treadmill this morning for a run, and back on FitDay by breakfast.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to Weight Loss