What do you do when you travel?!?!?!

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

What do you do when you travel?!?!?!

Postby Out*With*The*Old » February 15th, 2008, 4:30 pm

Hi all:

I'd love to hear any wonderful, novel ideas about creative ways to do MF while on travel.

Normally this isn't a huge issue for me as a pack a suitcase with RTD's and carry a bar with me on the plane - have a shake before I go and an RTD when I land (if its time), etc.

HOWEVER, I have a back and forth flight coming up - - I'll be flying to a City, staying in the airport for 1.5 hours and then returning back home. (I'm dropping my daughter off) I'm never even leaving the 'secured area' of the airport.

So last time I flew I took shakes with me and attempted to pour the mix into a water bottle - - didn't work, got it everywhere, LOL. I can take a bar and get water after security BUT I'll need more than that since I'll be on the road for about 8 hours.

So just thought I'd put it out here and see if anyone has any cool ideas that they do. With the liquds ban in security, I can't take my RTD's through - boo hoo. I suppose I *could* take a funnel with me and that may be what I end up doing - -

Thoughts???

TIA!
Out*With*The*Old
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby MerryMary » February 15th, 2008, 5:14 pm

Since I'm still following the guidlines of eating 6 times a day (and 3 Medi-meals) I've had to deal with this too. I've been doing a LOT of traveling lately because of my Mom's health situation. I used to mix the shakes in a water bottle and found that to be messy although I later found a very small funnel at The Container Store.

My last several trips I was allowed to take an RTD into the secured area. The first time I tried I was pulled over by security and asked if I was diabetic ... It was as though the agent prompted me to say "yes!" I did. and he let me through with RTD in hand. The next time I put the RTD with my baggie of gels and liquids. That time the agent said to me, " Would you like to step outside the secured area and drink this or would you like me to confiscate it?" I said, "Neither. I'm a diabetic and I need to drink this in 45 minutes!" She let me pass through. I only felt slightly guilty :oops: about saying I was diabetic when I'm not -- after all, following the MF program is just as crutial to us as a diabetic diet is to others. Of course all this says a lot about airport "security!" :lol:

Anyway ... that's what I do now. When I'm traveling in the car I just keep water and RTD's in a cooler. Still do, even when I go out shopping--one never knows how long a shopping expedition can last, ya know? 8)
MARY
Started MF 11/6/06; reached goal 9/27/07.
MerryMary
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby Mike » February 15th, 2008, 6:02 pm

Di and I make the muffins and brownies (from the recipes in Lean Cuisine) and put them in ziplocks to travel with. We also take a bar and sometimes soy crisps.

That, along with morning medimeals should get you through.

;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Lauren » February 18th, 2008, 5:59 am

Hey, OWTO, no problems on the travel front. Besides the bars, which are obviously easy to pack, but we can only have one, I have found the puddings to be the most simple airplane food. Just bring the dry packets, which won't be confiscated, and then when the drink cart comes by on the plane, ask them for a cup 1/2 full of cold water (or buy a bottle of water after you get through security, and ask for a cup), and pack a few plastic spoons. Voila! Instant pudding! While I prefer the choco pudding for taste, I have found the banana pudding easier to deal with on planes, trains, and automobiles- just in case you hit some turbulence! :-)

I did this with oatmeal too, asking the flight attendant for the hot water and cups they use for the coffee/tea folks, but that's a little bit more precarious if there's any bumpiness.

Everywhere I travel I bring a few hot/cold cups, plastic spoons, and a few packets of pudding, oatmeal, and a couple bars. Everywhere I go. No matter what, where, or the event. I am never *stuck* without something - and this has been since November 2005. I think it's the only way to insure constant compliance.

I have every confidence you'll do great with this! And have fun!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby Out*With*The*Old » February 18th, 2008, 10:16 am

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts! I appreciate it!
Out*With*The*Old
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Diana » February 19th, 2008, 8:02 pm

Kym, you can take the hot drinks and ask one of the coffee places to mix it up for you with hot water (ask them to add an ice cube first, though, to avoid soy dumplings in your drink).
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby summergirl » March 23rd, 2008, 11:00 am

I have a few comments-I'm new and relatively inexperienced with this, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents!

First-Before I started MF, I had pm'd a few folks from another forum I am involved with, where there at least FIVE folks (that I know of) who have done or are doing MF. The only negative I got back was that one girl said it was too hard on the weekends to try to find ways to mix meals and carry water, etc.. So, I started out with the mindset that I would make sure there was a way!

That being said, I have an 8 month old baby who goes everywhere I go. I always pack a regular diaper bag, as well as her "food bag" with a bib, spoon bowl and baby food (I make most of it, so it is in ice cubes that I mix together in one of her bowls) and any necessary bottles, etc... So, I decided I can behave the same way when I am away from home. I have a small thermos (enough for 12-16 oz) of water and I always carry a water bottle wherever I go. So, that helps a ton. Last weekend, My family and I were going to go for a drive and I made the cookies out of the oatmeal and tossed them in a ziploc-how great that works out! The bars are a definite bonus, as well.

Despite this "preparedness", I went for a "quick trip" to wal-mart yesterday to get my daughter's their easter dresses-it turned into a long event and I ended up eating AN hour late once I got home. So, I did the best I could- I bought a jar of pickles and ate two on the way home!

This thread has all kinds of good information. It encourages me to order some ready to drink shakes in the future, just to have on hand. I love a challenge and this "travel thing" is a fun sort of challenge! :mrgreen:
summergirl
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby Diana » April 30th, 2008, 10:32 pm

By the way. . . I've inadvertently come up with a new and improved method for getting the powdered shake into the water bottle.

It all started when I absentmindedly ripped the ENTIRE top off a packet during break at school. Then I stood there staring back and forth between that the gaping mouth of the packet and the less-than-quarter sized opening on the water bottle.

So! I stuck the tip of my index finger in one corner of the packet and folded/rolled the rest of the opening down twice so that the packet resembled an inverted Nevada. The resulting opening was more of a spout and fit, easily and entirely, into the opening of the water bottle. I stuck the spout in, worked the packet gingerly like miniature bellow, and ended with a few good taps and flicks.

Viola! All the powder IN the bottle!! No more corner ripping. When I have time, I'll take pictures and post them.
Diana

Postby Unca_Tim » May 1st, 2008, 10:14 am

For those that are geographically challenged....:)

Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Diana » May 3rd, 2008, 9:39 am

lol!! Unca, you are priceless! Thanks for the graphic.
Diana

Postby lifelovinaries » May 3rd, 2008, 9:52 am

hmmmm, yeah, considering i was one of the geographically challenged ones!

restart: 01/04/10
lifelovinaries

Postby Mike » May 3rd, 2008, 10:07 am

;) :yourock:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby Diana » May 3rd, 2008, 10:07 am

Ok, let me be very specific (if rather tongue-in-cheek) in my analogy. Before you start the alterations to the package, it looks like Colorado or Wyoming (a rectangle -- although not really since both of those have a wider base than height, so to be completely true, you'd have to rotate the package 90 degrees and tear the side. Don't do that!). Stick your finger in the corner that will become Clark County with the Colorado river (the jagged tear part) running around your finger. Feel the cool rapids swooshing over your skin? Of course you do! Beware of the Hoover Dam, though -- might get shocked. Now, roll down the top that will create the diagonal state line between Nevada and California. You now have a trapezoid -- a rectangular base with a triangular top. However, at this point Nevada is upside down. Put the Colorado River pointy part into the open mouth of your waterbottle so that Nevada is right-side up again. Create a series of earthquakes for all the Nevadans living on your packet. Finish with a couple of meteor impacts in Area 51 or weapons tests in one of the military bases (flicks and taps).
Diana

Postby lifelovinaries » May 3rd, 2008, 10:17 am

jeez, now that i am COMPLETELY confused, i just decided to dump all of the powder from the open package into my mouth and follow up with a 16.9 oz bottle of poland spring. I don't know what state it's shaped like nor what river it came from but it will have to work! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

restart: 01/04/10
lifelovinaries

Postby Diana » May 3rd, 2008, 10:42 am

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

You just made my day, Erica. I'll take pictures and post them soon.

Di
Diana

Next

Return to Weight Loss