WHAT am I doing??

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

WHAT am I doing??

Postby ChubNoMo » August 2nd, 2006, 12:10 am

Hi :)

I'm having a REALLY hard time with MF right now, and I could use some expert input.

I have been doing this nearly 5 months now. The first few were great and I lost 34#. I don't know what's wrong with me the last couple of months, but I am floundering way out there, BIG time. It's like I just can't seem to get my act back together. I start the day great with MF for maybe 2-3 meals, then my L&G is usually fine, then after that I just go wacko. I will (not EVERY nite) go to McDon's for a cone, or eat something as dumb as peanuts, or whatever. Then I feel so disgusted with myself, I won't weigh the next morning. I know I'm playing up and down with 4# right now. I feel fat, and totally out of control. I've even been thinking I should stop MF for a few weeks and go back on Weight Watchers. I miss fruit ALOT. I will sometimes eat watermelon. I miss food. It's like I "start day 1" EVERY day! And I get nowhere. I hardly ever have eaten my 5 MF meals because I forget or I'm just not hungry. I drink TONS of water, but now I'm reading that that isn't so good. I WANT to continue with MF, but I feel like I'm spinning my wheels here and I'm my own worst enemy. Should I stop doing MF for a while? Why does the newness have to wear off?? How hard is it to get it back??

Karin

Start: 3/6/06
ChubNoMo
Newbie - #30 Club

Postby Sarya » August 2nd, 2006, 5:41 am

Hi Karin,

My suggestion is this (many people won't like this suggestion): You're craving fruit. You can't stick on plan. So take a day and not be on plan. Eat whatever it is you really want; just do it. You'll either be happy with yourself or not about it, but do that then the next day fully commit yourself to going back on plan and sticking to it.

Tailor your daily meal plans so that you are keeping your carbs below 85g. Drink your 64 oz of water, but don't over drink the water. Don't allow yourself to go out for that snack! Remind yourself that if you put your foot down now it will be easier tomorrow and the day after that because it will! You sound like you're doing the same thing to yourself I was sort of doing in July. You are bouncing around with your food; you're not staying in ketosis; your carb:protein ratio is all screwed up.. so fight the cravings by satisfying them knowing full well you recommit yourself to mf the next day then draw upon that willpower and don't give in!

Oh and another thing.. you may find that SF jello is your friend. It's not fruit, but it helps.
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby ChubNoMo » August 2nd, 2006, 7:22 am

Hi Sarya

Thank you for your suggestions, and I think your ideas are good. There ARE days when I just go totally off plan. But, one of the things I find with that is that I go wild with sugar, which is a huge craving for me. The more I feed it, the more I want it...that vicious cycle. Your SF Jello suggestion is really a good one. I totally forgot that in the early days I really liked it. I will make some today for tonite. And yeah, I really miss fruit. Another thing is that if I blow it, in my mind I know I have those "3 days to get back into the losing mode", and I feel a real sense of failure or something. :roll: I'm constantly starting over. Then life events always come up and there I go with the condoning of eating things I shouldn't being followed by that self disappointment, and on and on, the old mind game :lol: ) I guess it all boils down to my comittment, (or lack of) huh?

Start: 3/6/06
ChubNoMo
Newbie - #30 Club

Postby alpha femme » August 2nd, 2006, 11:42 am

maybe try the complete fast for a couple of days to get back in the mindset? taking food choices out of the equation may help.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby Sarya » August 2nd, 2006, 11:52 am

Whatever it is you choose to do it does sound like you to have to kick your commitment back in gear. My suggestion stems from my experience, but it might not work for you. I'm sure you'll figure out the best move for you.

I just hesitate to think moving to another weight loss plan temporarily is what will work for you. Especially a plan so completely different from MF. Most people on WW end up with a pretty high carb:protein ratio and eat things completely off the charts for the MF plan.

It really does lie in your personal commitment to the plan. What have you been thinking about in your head? Could there be something going on up there that is sabotaging you? I had some stuff floating around in my head for a while that I think was allowing me to cheat when I shouldn't. If you can find thoughts like that, recognize them, and then neutralize them it may also help your will power.

What about environmental influences? Is your family being supportive? friends? I know you already mentioned that part about feeding the kids. Can you get any help in that department to cut down on your exposure to foods you can't have?

My boss offered me grapes this morning and then almost spilled the whole container when I told him thanks, but they're not allowed on my diet. He was trying to get them out of my reach and managed to spill a few! hee. It's nice of him to be supportive though, even if most of my coworkers have gotten weird (and are now ignored) about the whole thing.
Sarya

Postby DogMa » August 2nd, 2006, 11:56 am

Eating things like ice cream and watermelon will DEFINITELY keep you in that vicious cycle. If you want to take a day off before getting back on track, go ahead, but to get back on track you're going to HAVE to control yourself for a few days and get back into ketosis and get your blood sugar and insulin leveled out again.

It's no accident that you're eating very sugary foods and having trouble controlling cravings. Those sugary foods are CAUSING your cravings. The only way you're going to stop them is to stop eating that stuff.

I don't mean to be harsh, but cutting that stuff out is the ONLY way you're going to stop the cravings. I might even cut out the more sugary Medifast foods, like the bars, for a few days.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby caligirl » August 2nd, 2006, 12:09 pm

Sometimes I "treat" myself to a Golden spoon NF frozen yogurt in the mini size ...
1 mini cup, approx. (4.1 fl.oz) of Golden Spoon Frozen Yogurt: Non-Fat, all flavors except Heath Bar
68 cals, 0 fat, 3g prot, 15g carbs.

But listen to Robin, it's very important to keep the daily carb intake below 85g's or so. I use calorieking dot com to log all of my daily meals, it helps me to know exactly what I'm getting in these MF packs... Also, on the days I eat golden spoon, I don't have a bar.

I feel in control this way, and even though I know it may slow me down a bit, I'm still losing steadily and don't feel deprived. It is work though, so if you prefer not to balance your nutrition, just stick to plan. It's fool proof. Especially when it comes to serving sizes!!! It's easy to lie to ourselves!!

Everyone has to work it out for themselves.

Good luck!!!
Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right... Henry Ford

caligirl
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Sarya » August 2nd, 2006, 12:13 pm

Robin is completely right. I am very carefully watching my carb intake again, and it's making a huge difference in how I feel and how I deal with cravings or comfort foods suddenly in my face.

I was soo hungry by the time I got to heat up my soup and there was free pizza sitting right there by the microwave. I saw it, I thought oh yum pizza, and then thought I have my soup and that's better for me. So much better of a response than if I was already fighting a carb craving AND hungry at the same time.
Sarya

Postby ascicles » August 2nd, 2006, 12:14 pm

caligirl wrote:Sometimes I "treat" myself to a Golden spoon NF frozen yogurt in the mini size ...
1 mini cup, approx. (4.1 fl.oz) of Golden Spoon Frozen Yogurt: Non-Fat, all flavors except Heath Bar
68 cals, 0 fat, 3g prot, 15g carbs.

After a quick glance of their website, it appears that these products contain sugar, which turns in carbs. I wouldn't recommend having this product. After some further digging, it appears that this product has 9g of sugar.

I also wouldn't recommend having food as a "treat", because it is setting yourself up for failure.
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby Sarya » August 2nd, 2006, 12:22 pm

I might be sort of crazy, but frozen chocolate pudding is an excellent ice creamy like treat! You should try it :) I used to have popsicle makers at home. I should look around and see if I can find them. I usually just freeze the whole shaker jar.
Sarya

Postby caligirl » August 2nd, 2006, 12:39 pm

I knew someone would give me flack out there for my last post.
:3head: You're right, I never said it didn't contain sugar...
Just like the MF bars, the 2nd ingredient is honey (sugar), 3rd is high fructose corn syrup (sugar), 4th high maltose corn syrup (sugar), & 5th sugar (sugar)... Not to mention partially hydrogenated palm oil. Not the best stuff in the world. That's why Robin is always (rightly) recommending cutting down on the bars. They're tantamount to a "treat" as well... Although they do have more protein than golden spoon, I'm always above 90gs for the day (recommended by MF nutritionist)... Compare the stats:

1 mini cup, approx. (4.1 fl.oz) of Golden Spoon Frozen Yogurt: Non-Fat, all flavors except Heath Bar 68cals, 0fat, 3protein, 15carbs

1 1 bar of Medifast Chocolate Mint bar 160cals, 4fat, 10protein, 21carbs

FYI, it wasn't a recommendation that people do as I do, but if someone would like to "treat" themselves to a MC D's cone, then, I would rather have GS F yogurt... That's all!!

Now, as I said before, I always make sure my protein-carb ratios are in check on a daily basis, so it doesn't affect me, and keeps me on plan (believe it or not). If I can enjoy that summer tradition with my daughter in 115 degree heat, I'm more likely to last on the program. I'm in it for the long haul, and I have to make some individual decisions that work for me.

Take it or leave it, but thanks for pointing the facts.

caligirl

Postby ascicles » August 2nd, 2006, 1:19 pm

caligirl wrote:1 mini cup, approx. (4.1 fl.oz) of Golden Spoon Frozen Yogurt: Non-Fat, all flavors except Heath Bar 68cals, 0fat, 3protein, 15carbs

1 1 bar of Medifast Chocolate Mint bar 160cals, 4fat, 10protein, 21carbs

There is a big difference that you are leaving out. A bar is a medifast meal, the yogurt isn't.

If you want to do this, that's fine...but I felt the need to point out that it isn't a very smart move. I don't have a stake in your success or failure, but I have a feeling that if you start to reward yourself with "treats" like this, you will not hit your goal.
Last edited by ascicles on August 2nd, 2006, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles

Postby caligirl » August 2nd, 2006, 1:21 pm

caligirl wrote: Take it or leave it, but thanks for pointing the facts.

caligirl

Postby ascicles » August 2nd, 2006, 1:22 pm

caligirl wrote:
caligirl wrote: Take it or leave it, but thanks for pointing the facts.
'

I don't have a stake in your success or failure. I honestly don't care if you do well on the plan or not. In my short time on Medifast though, a majority of the people who I've seen fail are a lot like you.

If you want to eat something that is completely off plan, and feel the need to rationalize it by comparing it to something that is part of the plan (and a full meal), knock yourself out. Just don't expect symapthy when you fail.

I've seen it happen many times in the past, and I fully expect to see it happen in this case. Hopefully you'll prove me wrong.
Last edited by ascicles on August 2nd, 2006, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles

Postby caligirl » August 2nd, 2006, 1:26 pm

:roll:
Does anyone else out there notice that the message boards are getting more and more vindictive?

Thanks for your vote of confidence, but I've got my feet grounded. Suffice it to say, I won't respond further to this rediculous banter...

caligirl

Next

Return to The Weight Room