water,water, everywhere!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

water,water, everywhere!

Postby tootsie » January 11th, 2005, 8:21 am

Are there any tricks for getting 64oz of water down? I don't mind water, but I never feel like drinking alot. My friends call me the "camel". I like the shakes, soups and bars. Water I can take or leave.

Thanks to all,

Mary Ann
tootsie

Postby Mrsshrinkinglady » January 11th, 2005, 8:46 am

HI MaryAnn!
I also do not really like water at all, but I have gotten quite a bit in by making sure that everytime I eat a MF meal or dinner I only drink water along with it . I buy 8 oz bottles and just down one as I eat.
I also drink Crystal Light a lot and keep a bottle of water beside my bed each night, which I seem to consume every night as well.
How long have you been on MF?
I find the longer I am on it the more thirsty I am and am able to drink a lot more water than when I first started as well as actually craving a
cold bottle of water when I must not have drank enough that particular day. Keeping it ice cold rea;;y seems to help me as well, as I find it much more tasty that way.
I also rarely drink diet sodas, except for a treat on the weekends, and that seems to keep me away from drinking anything other than water.
Hope this helps,
Shrink aka Mary
Mrsshrinkinglady
Preferred Member - #100 Club

water, water everywhere

Postby tootsie » January 11th, 2005, 10:22 am

Thanks Mrs.S

I've on MF for only 4 days.; doing 5 replacements 5 a day. Your idea is very good. I will try to drink with each meal. I need all the support I can get.. Friends and Family don't approve of MF. My MD thinks it's worth a try....she needs lose far more than I.

Mary Ann
tootsie

Postby mindovermatter » January 11th, 2005, 10:49 am

I use twice as much water in the shakes. That gives me 3 8 oz glasses right off the bat.
1/06/05
225/175/140

Jan - down 21 lbs
Feb - down 12 lbs
Mar - down 10 lbs
mindovermatter
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » January 11th, 2005, 10:52 am

The Medifast booklet says that we must drink 64 ounces of "non-caloric" beverages each day. Preferably, the bulk of that is water, but I know I get a lot of my fluids from non-caffeinated, zero calorie things like sodas and flavored water (the local grocery store has a strawberry-kiwi flavored one, carbonated, that I just tried for the first time last night and I love it. I drank the whole bottle, which was something like 30 ounces!). I read another post around here, I think it was from Mike, who said that so long as the label reads zero everything (except sodium), it counts. Gotta not count the caffeinated, though, because I think caffeine artificially affects the body's water levels.

Good luck!
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Sylvia » January 11th, 2005, 11:27 am

I thought I'd chime in since I'm on the other end of the water equation. I love drinking water and feel poorly if I don't drink enough. I drink AT LEAST 100 oz a day and usually more like 140. While on the program I always drank a minimum of 120.

While it is true that anything with zeros across the board can be substituted for water, it is just not the same. I believe what Mike said he used to do is drink 64 oz of pure water and then get up to 120 or more using water substitutes. I personally think it is really important to get 64 oz of water before you consider drinking anything else.

I also recognize how hard this is for people so I don't think you need to start all at once. Just add a little here and there - have a glass with every medimeal. Add one while you're driving to and from work. Substitute one for a soda, etc. Sooner or later you will make it a habit.

Just my 2 cents worth...
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby fedup » January 11th, 2005, 12:56 pm

I agree with Sylvia on the water issue! For me, the water was a VERY Important part of the program. I lost 30# during my first 8 week stage on MF, and I noticed that the days I let up a little on the water, I seemed to hold onto the weight more. By "let up on the water" I mean maybe only got 64 or 80 ounces. I ALWAYS got my water in by buying one of those 64 ounce huge water bottles and making a promise to myself it'd be done before leaving work. Then once home I'd chug away too. I stopped "counting" after the 64 but I knew I was getting way over 100 ounces. I just figured if I was doing this plan, I was gonna do it right 100% and if that meant chugging the water then so be it.

Like Sylvia, I found that I really didn't want the diet sodas and stuff either. I rarely drank them. (I did love my bouillon though!) Each persons gotta find their way to do it, but I'd force that water somehow!
Christy 5'5" age-34
Fresh start: Sept. 15, 2005 (240/ 240/ 160)
"Time to 'release the butterfly' inside
fedup
Trusted Member

Postby explorthis » January 11th, 2005, 1:27 pm

While it is true that anything with zeros across the board can be substituted for water, it is just not the same. I believe what Mike said he used to do is drink 64 oz of pure water and then get up to 120 or more using water substitutes

This for the most part is right on. It’s been so long, I really can’t remember, but I know I drank at least 64oz a day of just H20. I am the exact same as Sylvia, if I don’t get in A-L-O-T of water/fluid daily, I really feel poor, achy, tight, and lethargic (truth). Your body becomes so accustomed to getting fluid; it knows when you are not giving it what it needs. Water IS a requirement for losing weight effectively. It is a flusher, constantly.

Now, if you chose to add other fluids, just like you said, with the exception of sodium, make sure I is all zero’s across the board. I don’t think it really matters if your serving, like Crystal light, or S/F tang, has 5-15 calories, your not going to balloon up by guzzling something like this. It’s ALL common sense. Additionally most of these additions require you to mix them with what? Water. I did all of them, and still do. I would rather any day of the week order water with a meal in a restaurant, than having a caloric beverage.

Mix them up, drink water, and drink anything else, long as it has almost all zero’s across the board.

Just get it in, you WILL get used to it I promise.

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis

Re: water, water everywhere

Postby MamaD » January 12th, 2005, 4:08 am

tootsie wrote:Thanks Mrs.S

I've on MF for only 4 days.; doing 5 replacements 5 a day. Your idea is very good. I will try to drink with each meal. I need all the support I can get.. Friends and Family don't approve of MF. My MD thinks it's worth a try....she needs lose far more than I.

Mary Ann

Tootsie... I love that name!! Your friends and family do not approve because they miss that part of you that revolves around the pleasure that food brings THEM. This time when I did my redo, and I am on big day 4, I had to sit my family down....lined their little skinny butts up on the sofa and said..."Listen... I am goin to do this...YOU are going to support me. When we sit at the dinner table... you will eat your food and you will not comment on mine, or...I will eat somewher else." I want to sit with them at dinner but not if I have to hear.....Is that all you're eating??? Well Shooga, (we are from the south) you can take a gander at my behind and realize that I have not missed too many meals in my 50 years. I had to do the same thing with my secretary. She is not tiny...but she can wear off the rack clothes...she does not have to go on an easter egg hunt everytime she wants to buy an outfit... and her size never changes....anyway...I had to tell her too...our food days are gone....We loved friday lunches...as we would begin discussing them at 8am... and it is really funny, I notice her mood dropping around mealtime.

I have not told a lot of people and this has helped me. This is my battle, and I certainly don't need comments from the peanut gallery. I usually drink my shakes straight from the jar...I mean I don't make a meal or a ceremony out of it...I just drink it. The other day I poured it into a glass and another teacher walked in the library and said...Ohhhhh what's that??? and I'm sorry Nancy...but I told her it was a shake like Slimfast.... just did not want to deal with her questions. And ya know what?? I don't have too!!

ONce you start feeling better...your family will see that this is right for you....and that is all that matters..

Oh, I started out commenting on the water issue and got on my soap box and got distracted. Try mixing a tad of crystal light in with your water. My friend taughte me that trick and it just gives it enough flavor to make a difference...I have always been a water drinker...so this is a non issue for me. I just know how important it is...and how much better everything works when you are hydrated!!...and I do mean EVERYTHING!~!
hang in there

CC
MamaD
Trusted Member

Postby Nancy » January 13th, 2005, 6:48 pm

Hello everyone! I loved reading about your water issues...

Water was a real biggie for me when I started Medifasting.

BM, I had grown to dislike it. In fact. I hated water and I especially hated OUR water.

I grew up in the 'burbs of Portland, Oregon and our home water supply was from an artesian well. It tasted good! Then when I married and lived in the city, our homes had old corroded pipes, the water was skanky-tasting and I stopped drinking it all together and my belt size increased...

When we realized the importance of daily water consumption and how it would affect the Medifast weight loss program, we bought bottled water. It was really hard initially to drink the min. 64 ounces per day but as the days went by, we improved.

Plain old water is always your best first choice. In the beginning stages, a bit of lemon juice or some Crystal Light, as has been mentioned can help to get it down. Just avoid the Mary Poppins suggestion of a spoonful of sugar!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to Come on in.