Water?

We will be adding links and answers to some of the more common questions here. Check here before posting to see if your question has already been answered.

Water?

Postby pazinhim » September 28th, 2008, 6:24 pm

Water: I've been trying to drink 64 fl oz a day, regardless of whether I have the shakes or not. I read that the water consumed in shakes counts towards the 64 oz. True?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! :)

Maria D.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wUe3xj5/]
[/url]
pazinhim

Postby TonyR » September 29th, 2008, 4:58 am

No that isn't true. If you are only drinking 64 oz. of water then it needs to be 64 oz. of clear liquid, and I would even go as far to say that you should drink at least 80 oz., but that is me!

Good luck!
Start 5/1/06
Goal 3/1/07
TonyR
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby nickieluv » September 29th, 2008, 7:39 am

I have also heard that the water in shakes counts, but only if you are mixing the shakes in more than 8oz. I usually make my drinks with 16oz of water, so technically I'm getting 8 extra oz towards my daily intake. But in spite of that, I try to drink three liters of plain water, or water with the infusers (within the stated limits) per day. It really does make a difference - get as much as you can. I always hated water but I am as surprised as anyone that now, when I'm really thirsty, I prefer water to anything else. Hope you're enjoying the program!
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Mike » September 29th, 2008, 9:31 am

Tony got it. Although the fluid in the shakes help to keep you hydrated, the reason for the clear water is to flush out all the junk you are expelling from your fat cells. We need to be hydrated, but we also need to help cleanse out bodies. So, in addition to whatever water we use to make our products, we also need to drink at least 64 oz of pure water (more is better of course).

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby pazinhim » September 29th, 2008, 3:52 pm

Awesome...thanks!! :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wUe3xj5/]
[/url]
pazinhim

Postby oksoonergirl26 » March 24th, 2009, 7:09 pm

Can you drink too much water?
3/18/09
228/175/125
oksoonergirl26
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby sidrah » March 24th, 2009, 11:43 pm

Yeah, you can. I am not a science person so someone else can clarify but it has something to do with the electrolyte imbalance and dilution of sodium. I have not experienced the extremes associated with some of the articles I have read about it, but I had my own little night of too much water once.

So, I had a contest with myself to see how much water I could drink before midnight. I had this goal of 3 gallons before the night was out and I had only gotten in one gallon during the day. So, in my extreme genius, I had 2 gallons of water in 3 hours. So, so, so far from smart. I won the contest, but when I got up I almost passed out. I was dizzy for a while.

I think the kidneys can handle effectively flush 16 liters of water a day. Yes, you can drink too much water, so should you ever get the urge to drink 10, 15, 20 liters of water a say, please double check those not so scientific facts I gave just now.
Don't really care as long as everything's better than yesterday was...

@}---- @}---- @}---- @}----
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby nickieluv » March 25th, 2009, 9:52 am

There was talk about this a couple of years ago and I think in some thread Mike posted a scientific article about water consumption. It's unlikely that you could drink too much accidentally, I think. And spreading it out is important, too - don't try to down 3 liters at once or anything, I think that's a bad idea. But in general, for the normal public, I don't believe you're in danger of getting a dangerous amount of water.
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby katieb920 » March 25th, 2009, 9:57 am

Here is some infor

In a word, yes. Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes. Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolytes.

What Happens During Water Intoxication?

When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. Your cells maintain a specific concentration gradient, so excess water outside the cells (the serum) draws sodium from within the cells out into the serum in an attempt to re-establish the necessary concentration. As more water accumulates, the serum sodium concentration drops -- a condition known as hyponatremia. The other way cells try to regain the electrolyte balance is for water outside the cells to rush into the cells via osmosis. The movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from higher to lower concentration is called osmosis. Although electrolytes are more concentrated inside the cells than outside, the water outside the cells is 'more concentrated' or 'less dilute' since it contains fewer electrolytes. Both electrolytes and water move across the cell membrane in an effort to balance concentration. Theoretically, cells could swell to the point of bursting.

From the cell's point of view, water intoxication produces the same effects as would result from drowning in fresh water. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling puts pressure on the brain and nerves, which can cause behaviors resembling alcohol intoxication. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.
Katie
katieb920
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Return to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)