I want to make a stuffed mushroom. HELP!

Add your favorite recipes.

I want to make a stuffed mushroom. HELP!

Postby ascicles » June 9th, 2006, 1:53 pm

Ok, here is the plan. I want to make a mushroom stuffed with chicken and some cheese...but I don't know how.

My first thought would be this...

1. Put some soy sauce on the mushroom and chicken.
2. Slice the chicken and place some shredded cheese inside the mushroom cap
3. Bake!

First question. How can you accurately judge the size of a mushroom cap? I don't know how I could figure out what 1 1/2 cups is.

Second question. How long do you bake it?
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby supermom » June 9th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Okay--I would not use the soy sauce. I would do this: measure 2 cups of WHOLE mushrooms. Remove the stems and set them aside. Wath your mushroom tops and DRY THEM completely. Pre cook your chicken---if you use raw chicken, your mushrooms will be all dried out by the time your chicken is done. Dice up the chicken really fine. Dice up the stems really fine and mix with the chicken. Mix in one beaten egg white, or 1/3 cup egg beaters. Use about 2 teaspoons of minced dried onion, some garlic powder, some white pepper (if you have it, black if not), a sprinkle of salt, about 4 sprays of ICBINB, and some parmesean cheese. You might also sprinkle in some Molly McCheese. Put this mixture into the caps. Spray a baking dish with butter flavor spray, line up the caps in the pan, cover with foil and bake. If you have any of the crackers handy, smash them up really fine and sprinkle them over the top of the mushrooms just before they are done. Uncover them and let them bake for about 3-5 more minutes. This will allow them to get a nice "crunch" on the top.

This sounds a lot harder than it is. You can just put you boneless skinles chicken breast in the micro and nuke for about 4 minutes, turn it over, nuke for about 2 1/2 minutes more. Then, dice it up fine and get er done. If you have a little chopper/processor, you could put the chicken, stems and seasonings in it. I bet these turn out GREAT!!
supermom
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Sarya » June 9th, 2006, 2:41 pm

another yummy filling is low fat feta, sauteed peppers, onion, and garlic, mrs dash tomato basil garlic, and a tiny bit of tomato paste. Also good is lf feta, diced roasted red peppers (they come in a jar), garlic, and spinach.

you could also take the grilled chicken and mix it with some spices and spinach, and a small bit of cheese, stuff the mushroom, then sprinkle the cheese on top.
Sarya

Postby supermom » June 9th, 2006, 3:15 pm

Thanks a lot, Manly. I am hungry for stuffed mushrooms now. I wasn't going to cook tonite. Just gonna have a salad. But now.....Man. If you were closer, I just might make you cook dinner for me and my family!
supermom

Postby DogMa » June 9th, 2006, 5:17 pm

BTW, you can also make kind of a pizza with a portobello as the "crust." Trader Joe's used to sell these in California, and they were delicious. Scoop out the "gills" and top with low-sugar or sugar-free sauce and low-fat mozzarella (or whatever else you want to use), then bake.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mike » June 9th, 2006, 6:28 pm

And just to chime in. I usually make kind of a meatloaf in portabello's. Just use the mixture that Supermom said scoop out the gills of the big mushroom and place the mixture in it and bake on 350 for 20 minutes or so.
I also have used ground beef with lowfat cheese and spices a la carte in the portabello also.
Hope these suggestions help.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby SharonR » June 10th, 2006, 10:08 pm

SUPERMOM!!!!!!!!!! I am going to copy and paste your whole post so I can make those sometime...sounds incedible! YUMO!
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

making it easier!!!!

Postby celticmelody » June 13th, 2006, 2:14 pm

couple things might make it easier:

* I can get gilled stemmed portabella caps in the grocery store. All you gotta do is weigh 'em! I was told 2 cups uncooked equals 1-1/2 cups cooked.

* You could use boca burgers-heated and crumbled. Or make your own turkey sausage-ground turkey,fennel seeds, and dried sage. Red pepper flakes if you like yours hot!!!!

*If my caps are too big, I'll add some chopped spinach to Supermoms mix.

Can't wait to try it.
216/203/135
celticmelody

Postby electra000 » June 14th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Grilled Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
(Serves 4)

Ingredients:

2/3 cup fresh chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary or (1/8 tsp dried)
1/8 teaspooon ground black pepper
1 garlic clove crushed
4 (5 to 6"diameter) Portobello mushroom caps
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons fresh cilantro chopped

Directions:

1. In a small bowl, combine tomatoes, mozzarella, 1/2 tsp of the olive oil, rosemary, pepper and garlic.

2. Using a spoon scoop out the gills of the mushroom caps and remove the stems and discard.

3. In a small bowl, mix 1/2 tsp of the olive oil, lemon juice and soy sauce. Using a pastry brush, brush the soy sauce mixture on both sides of the mushroom caps.

4. Grill the caps, starting with stem side down for 5 minutes on each side or until soft.

5. Spoon 1/4 cup of the tomato and cheese mixture into each cap, cover and grill for about 3 minutes or until cheese has melted.

6. Garnish with cilantro.

Nutrition info: (per serving) Calories 83.7 Fat 3.7 g Carbohydrates 8.2 g
Protein 6.4 g

:flip:
electra000
Preferred member

Postby MermaidinBlack » June 30th, 2006, 12:09 pm

You guys are absolute lifesavers. These are all fantastic. And I thought I'd get bored with my L & G... :D
Mermaid in Black (Cat)
"He who sings, prays twice"
Started MF 6/26/06
MermaidinBlack

Postby GucciGoo » June 30th, 2006, 12:31 pm

I did not know we could have mozzarella cheese and sauce!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HIP HIP HOOOORAY!!!!!!!!!
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Sarya » June 30th, 2006, 12:36 pm

Just be careful with the sauce. A lot of them have added sugar. I bought the carb free marinara from Walden Farms, but I haven't tried it yet. And use low fat/part skim mozz :)
Sarya

Postby MermaidinBlack » June 30th, 2006, 12:50 pm

Would just plain canned tomato sauce with no additives work, or is it better to actually seek out "sugar-free" sauce? Thanks!
Mermaid in Black (Cat)
"He who sings, prays twice"
Started MF 6/26/06
MermaidinBlack

Postby supermom » June 30th, 2006, 1:12 pm

The tomato sauce would be okay, just remember it has a lot of sodium, so you might retain little water. You could also just puree a tomato and have a chunkier sauce.
supermom

Return to Lean Cuisine