Walden Farms...good, bad, or ugly????

Add your favorite recipes.

Walden Farms...good, bad, or ugly????

Postby Tankie » May 29th, 2006, 1:37 am

Ok guys.....give me the breakdown on this Walden Farms stuff....what's great, and what is totally gross? I hate to spend a lot of money and have y'all tell me that you could have told me it tasted like butt......
Thanks!!!!! :-P
It's been swell but the swelling's gone down...

Tankie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Serendipity » May 29th, 2006, 5:40 am

I like the Creamy Bacon and the Thousand Island dressing best. I've also tried the following dressings and they are ok:

Bacon Ranch
Ranch
Caesar
Ginger Garlic
Cucumber Dill

The individual packets are really convenient for taking along. I always keep one in my purse.

Between the regular and Hickory smoked BBQ sauce, I definately like the Hickory smoked better.

The seafood sauce tastes just like the real thing to me, except it's not as thick.

Hope this helps, but please remember, we all have unique tastes.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby mommaof3boys » May 29th, 2006, 8:04 am

I would have to vote for the ugly! I have tried several Walden Farms things and have pitched all of them in the trash!

My favorite coctail sauce is Heinz one carb ketchup with horseradish = even hubby (6'2", 170, obviously not dieting!) loves it!

I will have to try the suggested ones though - can't remember what I bought it has been so long ago except I know I tried the cocktail sauce - maybe I will give it another whirl. Tastebuds do change!
Medifast start date 5/10/2006

5'6"

151/144/127
mommaof3boys
Trusted Member

Postby DogMa » May 29th, 2006, 12:37 pm

I'm with momma. I've tried several of their dressings, plus their marshmallow creme and a few other things. I hated all of it and refuse to use it. I make cocktail sauce the same way; 1-carb ketchup, horseradish and maybe a little Tabasco. For salad dressing, I use either regular or low-fat depending on what's available, and just dip my fork in before each bite to use as little as possible. I'd rather eat salad dry (and I hate it that way) than eat it with Walden Farms on there.

Some people love it, though.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby mommaof3boys » May 29th, 2006, 1:16 pm

Robin - we must have the same taste buds! I feel the exact same way - would rather have a tiny tiny bit of good salad dressing than a bunch of bad
Medifast start date 5/10/2006

5'6"

151/144/127
mommaof3boys
Trusted Member

Bad

Postby Ginabobina1969 » May 29th, 2006, 3:52 pm

I vote bad here as well. I have tried creamy bacon, ranch and honey dijon.

I really don't care for any of them as salad dressings( and I really tried to like them) although I do like the honey dijon with chicken..lol I may try to use the others as marinades or dips for meat. :? Personally, I love the Kraft Free Italian dressing and have used it all along.

I haven't tried any of the fruit dips or any of that so I can't say.

HUgs,
Gina

Previously...02/16/06 BMI-50 276/188
Restart....03/31/2008 -failed
Restart 03/26/09 280/267 Failed
Restart-Awaiting order. I cannot even bear to post my current weight...yet.
Ginabobina1969
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby ascicles » May 30th, 2006, 9:19 am

When I first started Medifast, I used Walden Farms. I found the ranch to be decent and the BBQ sauce to be acceptable, but beyond that, everything has a strange aftertaste to it.

I've started making my own recipes. I use the teriyaki sauce posted in this forum a lot, and last night I made a really good Honey Sesame Sauce by buying a marinade pack and following the instructions. I just use it as a sauce instead of a marinade and it is quite good.

I've found the marinade packets to be quite useful as sauces. All I generally have to do is replace the sugar with splenda.

Most of them are under 20 calories for a serving, but with the full mix, which supposedly produces four servings, I can usually get 8-10 servings out of it as a sauce. That usually puts it at 10 calories/1-2 carbs.
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby loriannk » May 30th, 2006, 9:31 am

I love the walden farms products.

I use the pancake syrup on my oatmeal pancakes.

I use the fruit spreads on my oatmeal muffins & cookies.

I like the caeser salad dressing.

The dips are good too. I did not like the chocolate dip. yuck.

The BBQ sauce is really good to.

Everyone is different. But I like them.

Lori
3 kids ages 2, 8 & 9
loriannk
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Ketann » May 31st, 2006, 8:01 am

I never used Walden Farms until last night. I put the Hickory Smoke on my chicken and was amazed :shock: . Are you sure this stuff is calorie free???
I'm not a big fan of chicken, but this made it oh so good :)

Keturah
Ketann
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Ct. Yankee » May 31st, 2006, 12:48 pm

I am another one who likes Walden Farms. From the beginning, I made sure to have the mindset that these products would not compare to the 'real thing' and that I was going to try them, then hum them in the garbage. But, I was hoping, at the same time, that I would be discovering products which would cut out extra calories, carbs, fats etc.., in something so simple as salad dressing. To my surprise, these products are very good. There is no need for 'fork dipping' and I just pour them on the salad. Sure, they take some getting used to in the beginning before they become a 'natural' to many folks.

I plan to continue using their products, long after the active phase of MF, and for future outings, with the take along packets. Everyone is different, and each person will choose different products and that which, works best for them. I, for one, am very happy to have discovered WF. And, at least I know now, that I have found some products which won't add a single calorie, fat, carb, etc.. to my future food choices, products that happen to taste good to me too. :D
Joan
Ct. Yankee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby DogMa » May 31st, 2006, 2:33 pm

Please do remember, though, that they have 0 everything PER SERVING. If you "pour them on," you could be adding a good deal more than you think. 0 calories means it could have 0.9 calories per serving, and the same with the others.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby Ketann » May 31st, 2006, 3:59 pm

Thanks for pointing that out Robin :). When I was growing up, there was a cartoon video they would play between the Saturday morning cartoons called "Don't Drown Your Food". Even with all the overeating I did throughout the years, I always took that to heart and never "drowned" my food. ;)

I'm one of those people that enjoys the dark meat over the chicken breast :(, and I just wanted something to make the white meat taste better. It made a wonderful marinade.

Keturah
Ketann
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby sidrah » May 31st, 2006, 10:43 pm

If I have grilled chicken or one of those ones from the store, I use WF Honey Mustard as dip

As for WF on the whole,,,,good, bad, or ugly. I would say GOOD ENOUGH for what I need. It adds the flavors I want. I like the bacon tomato one, honey mustard, blue cheese, caesar.

I just had WF applebutter (jelly) the other day. Not bad at all. Good with oatmeal cookies
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Ct. Yankee » June 1st, 2006, 2:25 pm

"Pouring it on", just a figure of speech there!!! I should have said that after, all the measuring, that I am 'quessimating' two tablespoons, thus "pouring it on"! . Easy to do when you do it every night for my daily salad. :D

Thanks for calling my attention to it, Robin, so that I could clarify what I actually meant! Soggy salad, ain't my thing! And, I certainly never "drown it"! I didn't get to look this fat, eating salad dressings! Now good homemade bakery products, that's another thing! ;) Joan
Ct. Yankee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby DogMa » June 1st, 2006, 6:45 pm

Sorry, Joan, didn't mean that YOU necessarily did that. But some folks do have a tendency to overdo it when they see all those zeroes on the label.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Next

Return to Lean Cuisine