Uncommon Foods

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Postby Prancer » June 29th, 2006, 10:05 am

Man you all have much broader horizons then I do. I guess thats from being raised in the sticks.

Does anyone know of a greek dressing that would be ok on MF? I would love to have a greek salad for dinner. I think I can get lf feta at the store in VT.
Prancer
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Sarya » June 29th, 2006, 10:08 am

You could get away with using red wine vinegar, oil, and a greek spice blend I bet!
Sarya

Postby Tankie » June 29th, 2006, 10:16 am

I miss Fleischbrok.....I believe it comes from the Slovenian side of my family....really simple just ground beef, cooked cabage, in a pocket made of homade bread dough......My mom and I used to make a couple dozen of these at a time and freeze them. I also miss Paticia, a rolled Slovenian nut bread.....hmmm.....I am seeing a bread pattern here.......

Amy
It's been swell but the swelling's gone down...

Tankie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby sidrah » June 29th, 2006, 9:11 pm

I'm Italian, but my favorite is Greek food. So, gyros and mousaka. I don't like lamb lamb, but I'll eat it in that. Fair gyros are the best. We used to go to San Genaro and get gyros and my mom would always yell at us cause it wasn't sausage and peppers--like we don't haev those every holiday.

Shirataki noodles can be eaten on MF. You have to develop a taste for it, but I use it in place of spaghetti. Good enough!
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Sarya » June 30th, 2006, 5:25 am

Tankie, I _love_ bread. It is by far my single worst downfall while on MF.

Sidrah, what are shirataki noodles?
Sarya

Postby Janae » June 30th, 2006, 12:14 pm

Amy...

You got my attention with your description of the Fleishbrok. My mom is German and she always made "Krautbrote"...and some have other names for it. But- it is essentially the same thing you described...They make fresh yeast bread dough and cut squares of it and wrap the ground beef and cooked cabbage and onion in it, seal it up like a little pillow and then bake it Mmmm-they are good.

I have done a L & G with very lean ground beef and the cabbage and onion stir fried together...no bread! It wasn't the same...but it was still good! I was going to sub ground turkey...but I bought a lean beef that was leaner than the leanest ground turkey breast I could find.

Think it might be time to have that again!

One of my favorites is pasta, all kinds...I am still dreaming of the MF substitute for that! Maybe....sugar free marinara on turnips...cut into fine little strips!!!!! :)
Janae

Postby sidrah » June 30th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Sarya wrote:Tankie, I _love_ bread. It is by far my single worst downfall while on MF.

Sidrah, what are shirataki noodles?
They are tofu based noodles. They look and feel kind of slimy, so you have to rinse them when you open the bag, which you will find in the refrigerated section of the store. I usually go to the Asian Market for them. They look just like spaghetti floating in water. Google images will give you some pictures.

The way I have found they are best is after I boil them, I cut them up (like when you break spaghetti in half b/f you put it in the h20) in half and then add some sort of sauce or cheese sauce. WF has both. You can fake god spaghetti and meatballs.

I like to make it into a frittata if I can get it to brown right. That way I can add my meat and some vegetables in and eat it like a pie.

Warning- taste is not like spaghetti and you have to get used to the flavor, but I like it.

According to MF it counts as the green portion of the meal. You still need to add in protein. I asked way back when I began cause I had some in the fridge. (Keep them refrigerated)
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby GucciGoo » June 30th, 2006, 1:18 pm

I love falafel on a pita, with tons of garlic hummus and Tzatziki sauce. And tomatoes and onions. Mmmmmmmmm.
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby GucciGoo » June 30th, 2006, 1:19 pm

PS does anyone think the MF crackers taste like matzoh?
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Sarya » June 30th, 2006, 1:26 pm

I haven't had my crackers in so long I can't remember!

I love falafel too. I wish we could have it. This place downtown makes the best falafel sandwiches and they put chili sauce on it too.. MMMM
Sarya

Postby supermom » June 30th, 2006, 1:45 pm

Man---I thought I had tried a lot considering where I grew up. But my gosh!!! I have never even HEARD of most of this stuff. Eggpland is pretty exotic around here. Which, by the way, I have never had any eggplant anyway!! I come from an Irish and Cherokee Indian background. The Greek and Jewish foods---I thought they only ate that stuff in the movies!! Guess I was wrong. Once on maintenance, I guess I am going to have to do some traveling and try some of this stuff!!
supermom

Postby alpha femme » June 30th, 2006, 2:03 pm

the variety of food is probably the one good thing about living in l.a. you can get any kind of food-- ANY kind-- within 10 miles.

:roll: of course, that has its obvious drawbacks as well.

my weakness is for cuban food-- i just love the simplicity of it.

and tapas... mmmmm.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby sidrah » June 30th, 2006, 9:09 pm

Yeah, the crackers do taste kind of like matzoh.

Falaffel and tzatziki are good. I like making my own cause no one around here makes it right.

Never had eggplant? Not even eggplant parmesan? You would never have lasted a day in my house.

Easter, Christmas, and whatever other big day you can think of when everyone was having ham and turkey and lamb and all that stuff, we had lasagna, sausage and pepper, fish. Zeppoli are the best....
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Tankie » July 1st, 2006, 12:21 am

ooooohhhh...cuban food....we have the best Cuban restaurant just down the block from us....I really miss the Bistec Criollo for breakfast.....damn....now I'm hungry.....

Amy
It's been swell but the swelling's gone down...

Tankie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Arklahoma » July 1st, 2006, 7:16 am

supermom wrote: I come from an Irish and Cherokee Indian background.

SuperMom ~ You sure we're not twins separated at birth??? I'm Cherokee Indian, as well. My Great Grand Daddy and family died during the Trail of Tears. My dad really looked Indian, but I've slowly lost my wonderful dark complexion over the years. As I child, I looked like a little Squaw.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

PreviousNext

Return to What's Shakin'