True Lemon/True Lime

Add your favorite recipes.

True Lemon/True Lime

Postby Seaside » May 5th, 2007, 3:33 am

I was excited to learn about this product and it reminded me of a couple of things we used to make in Micronesia using lemon or lime powder (well, we could also just walk outside and pick all the fresh citrus, coconuts, pepper and tropical fruits you wanted but sometimes you get really lazy). I tried to modify them a bit but you should be careful of the sodium or other ingredients that may not be totally "legal".

FINADENE SAUCE (fin-ah-din-eh) - use as a marinade or all-purpose condiment (This is a recipe of proportions -- use more or less to your taste)

1 part low-sodium soy sauce
1-2 parts water with lemon or lime powder (or fresh lime, key lime is best)
1/2 part chopped round onion or scallion
sliced hot hot hot peppers such as serrano or "boonie" (bird) peppers

Mix and taste to see if you have the desired hot/sour/salty taste. Use sparingly as a condiment or marinade (great to use on/with fish or chicken; I like to wrap mahimahi up in a foil packet with finadine and a bit of olive oil and grill - yum!).

KELAGUEN

This dish traditionally has freshly grated coconut in it. I doubt that's legal, but if you like the coconut flavor, you might try a dash of coconut extract.

Chicken: broil boneless chicken and chop, mixing in sliced scallions, sliced hot (serrano or bird) chiles, salt/pepper and sprinkle lime or lemon powder over, to taste. Traditionally, fresh-grated coconut is added to this salad but it tastes good w/o it. Serve rolled in lettuce leaf or atop shredded lettuce or bok choy as a salad.

Beef: thin-slice lean beef into paper-thin slices. Marinate with a mixture of lemon or lime powder (or fresh juice), sliced scallions, a bit of soy (optional) and hot chile peppers. In Micronesia, this "cooks" the thin slices of beef enough for folks to eat, but you can lightly grill or broil if you like.

This recipe can also be made with octopus, etc. but that's pushing it. I'll stop now.
Seaside
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Pashta » May 5th, 2007, 6:01 am

Mmmmmm. I hope one day to get brave enough to try the chicken kelaguen!
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Mickeyz » May 5th, 2007, 7:07 am

These sound yummy! I'll have to try them.
Reached Goal Nov 2007 61.5 lbs lost
Gained 11 lbs in Mexico 3/08, decided to lose that along with another 5 lbs!
Mickeyz
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Return to Lean Cuisine