Thank God for this Forum

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Thank God for this Forum

Postby fedup » October 15th, 2004, 7:25 am

Okay- Here goes! I just have to say that I've always tried to be a strong person, do what needs to be done, take care of everyone and everything, (except sometimes myself.) Sometimes I find that when I actually may need others to be there for me, then "hey, what's up?" Don't get me wrong, my family is very supportive, but they do not live close to me. And my friends at work are wonderful, but there are some things you don't talk about too much at work. And then we come to my SO.

He is a wonderful person, who at sometimes is very very supportive. He has good intentions, and can be my #1 fan. But he is also bipolar, and is refusing to get treatment. So you can imagine how stable this makes him. His moods swing like a pendulum, and he ranges from being this wonderful person I love, competent, good father, etc... to being totally incapacitated, moody, argumentative, unable to deal with daily things, over stressed, and so on... It's a horrible disease, and it's one that affects the whole family, but especially myself and our daughter (who is biologically his.)

Anyway, didn't want to ramble on about that stuff, but my point here is that if it wasn't for this forum, I really don't think I could do this. I am so fortunate to have stumbled onto this website. Where else could I have found a place filled with people who know exactly what I'm going through, 'cause you're all doing it too. And I know everyone at home is used to me being the "strong" one, the one who handles everything. Sometimes I'd like to be able to turn to someone also, and that is what this forum gives me, so I want to say thank you to you all.

Sorry I rambled so much here, must be PMS! :oops:
Christy 5'5" age-34
Fresh start: Sept. 15, 2005 (240/ 240/ 160)
"Time to 'release the butterfly' inside
fedup
Trusted Member

Postby DutchChoc » October 15th, 2004, 7:56 am

Yes, fedup, it's a lifesaver and I'm glad we all found it and each other. Sometimes when the going gets tough, and it does, it's enough to come here and remind oneself what the whole point it of restricting ourselves is which is -- we're on the train to Thinsville and we're riding all the way this time.

I'm looking forward to Nancy coming back, too.

It's an interesting decision to make about how much of who we really are we share with one another. In reality, I'm pretty hard to get to know, I think, and rather deliberately so. Here, the barriers are a little lower because, let's confess, the likelihood that we're going to be able to ruin each other's reputations or spread gossip is pretty small. Here, it's all about support and trying to help. You can decide how much to say about things and others will respect it.

I once had a bipolar marriage so I can say that I've seen the whole thing. I learned that I had to take care of myself and literally protect myself as best I could. Compulsive gambling was also a factor, unfortunately.

So, welcome and keep committed to what you're after. You're in good company.
Ending weight MF 10/2004: 126
Starting weight 12/1/08: 168 :-(
Loss December: -7/-0
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby RavenKat » October 15th, 2004, 8:48 am

I'm right there with you on this one! The support here is invaluable!!!! :hug:

Thanks everybody!!!!!

Kat
259/180/165
RavenKat
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » October 15th, 2004, 12:34 pm

What a great thread fedup! Hey, I'm so grateful for you too! There's no place other than here where I feel comfortable enough to discuss these issues. I'm a great listener and shoulder for my friends, but I don't ever ask for help myself. It is such a valuable tool in our weight management plan.

I'm going to call Nancy this afternoon to coordinate our meeting Sunday during her stopover. I don't know if I could ever convey how thankful I am to her and her staff for providing this forum but I'm going to try. Mike reminded me to take pictures to post here which I hadn't even thought of since I'm not a camera person at all. I'll do my best to get some snaps.

And a huge Mahalo Nui Loa (thanks to the highest degree) for all the support and friendship you've all given me. What a gift... :rose:

Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby fedup » October 16th, 2004, 6:02 pm

Glad to know I'm not the only one who reveals so much more here on the forum that I do at home! It's like everyone said, your more comfortable saying things to other people going through similar things. And some things are definitely too tough to talk about with work friends or even family. With family we often are the "strong" ones, or the "glue" holding things together, but we need to vent too, and to connect about our personal stuff! So thank you all for being there, and I'm here to return the favor at all times!
Christy 5'5" age-34
Fresh start: Sept. 15, 2005 (240/ 240/ 160)
"Time to 'release the butterfly' inside
fedup
Trusted Member

Postby faithchild » October 16th, 2004, 8:06 pm

Hello....I've been doing the 5 and 1 plan...the full fast was too intense for me at this present time. Even though I've been in ketosis for quite sometime I still am fighting the mental hunger...I began on Sept 15, 2004 and I have such a long while :help: to go....how does one get past the mental demons...I know the shakes would be faster but I haven't been able to stick with it in the past. Medifast is changing my life, it's given me a hope that I've lost through the years of yo-yo dieting. My present weight is around 400 (add or minus a few pounds) weighing is out of the question I'm allowing my clothes to be the judge, I know I've got a long way ahead of me...I guess I just reaching out for some encouragement....God Bless Everyone.
faithchild

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » October 16th, 2004, 8:53 pm

Welcome Faithchild! :wavie:

Congratulations on making it through your first month! Yes, the mental part is the hardest. What helps me is this forum. I come here several times a day, and share what I'm feeling which is a tremendous help. We're all behind you, and are there to catch you when you fall or feel you're about to. I so relate to hearing you have hope now. Me too. I thought I was just stuck and lost without any motivation to help myself. Medifast has given so many of us a new lease on life. I strongly urge you to read the posts by longway2go and explorethis for some good solid no nonsense advice on the road ahead. You CAN do this. We're here and are happy to have you riding the train to thinville with us!

A MF Pal,
Camille
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
hawaiiwhatnot

Postby LongWay2go » October 17th, 2004, 7:14 am

Faithchild - Welcome, so glad you have joined us! I too am over 400 pounds, but not for much longer! I was originally over 500 pounds, 523 to be exact, and I've lost about 115 pounds total. If I can do that, ANYBODY can do it! Stick with us, read the posts daily and post your own thoughts and trials. We'll support you as you support us! That's what we're all here for and Camille is SO right about that!

~Gerald
08/06/2004
on hiatus until "Vic the Vac" goes away!

WARNING: Don't try this at home, kids...
Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby faithchild » October 17th, 2004, 8:41 am

Thank you for the warm welcoming....Camille and Gerald BIG Thanks and Blessings out to the both of you. Thank you for your encouraging words it's nice to know someone else is understanding and knows what you're going through...when I read your replies this morning, it gave me the support that I have been looking for that family and friends just can't seem to fill the void. I guess that comes from my on again off again dieting, but still in all everyone hopes I hang in there, even sometimes I get scared that I'm not going to make it. Camille you were so right about Gerald's heart-felt story he has shared, it really hit home last night when I was feeling sorry for myself and was beginning to lose sight of WHY I started MF in the first place. This is a matter of life or death for me also. Medifast has given me a great sense of confidence, I'm able to hold onto most of the time....it's just those times when I long for the familiar. I now have a place to express myself and hopefully be of some support for someone as this forum is becoming for me. Continued success and thanks so much for reaching out and caring. :thumbsup:
faithchild

Postby LongWay2go » October 17th, 2004, 8:52 am

Faithchild - None of us could do this without the support of one another. Thank you for your kind words! Sometimes it does hurt to "tell all" but there is a reward for it. The reward is a healthier YOU and knowing that you are helping others stay strong with every word you post.

This is, as you say, a life and death struggle when you get to be "our size" but it is a struggle worth doing and definitely has a reward. Stay strong and remember, you must do this for YOU more than anyone else. I'm with you 100%!

~Gerald
08/06/2004
on hiatus until "Vic the Vac" goes away!

WARNING: Don't try this at home, kids...
Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » October 17th, 2004, 9:45 am

Faithchild,

Isn't it odd that we get support here from people we don't know face to face and have just met but don't feel it from those we love the most? Perhaps it's that we can be more expressive on the internet - writing instead of speaking? Don't know, I just am glad this forum is here for us. I just wanted to add that I too am behind you 100%. When it gets tough, just look behind you. We're here.

Camille
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
hawaiiwhatnot

Postby DutchChoc » October 17th, 2004, 12:33 pm

Welcome, Faithchild. I've never seen a nicer internet community than this one. Glad you found a way to make your life better-- MUCH better. Just stick around and stick to the plan.

So true that we can often feel understood and supported diet-wise here and not necessarily so in the comfort of our own "loving" relationships. Seems for me that over the past nearly four years I was always demonstrating (to significant other) and proving that I couldn't stick to a diet. I felt like I was a real cliche of someone who was always destined to fail. Frankly, that was a fairly new phenomenon, but it was a deep rut and I couldn't seem to get out. I almost sensed the smirking when I failed and went back to doing my eating things each time.

This group AND MF, because I do see it as a necessary duo, has given me the most peace and success I've had in years. Well, darn it, perhaps in my whole life. My recent status (weight/happiness) is pretty much what I've always wished for. But, alas, never expected, lest it would truly sneak up on me while I slept or lived in a coma.

So, "life" is here, and every day of doing the right stuff is what's making it a pleasure. And, crossing myself, may I not forget that.
Ending weight MF 10/2004: 126
Starting weight 12/1/08: 168 :-(
Loss December: -7/-0
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby faithchild » October 17th, 2004, 1:20 pm

DutchChoc....thanks so much for your words of support, I agree this is a wonderful internet community, as the old saying goes.."just what the doctor ordered"...I believe my soul was crying out to become connected to others with the same agenda, I kept checking out this site and reading but never thought I'd write anything not to mention, get a response....Boy was I wrong! :scratchhead: I've been journaling since the day I began Medifast and this forum is an extension of journaling, with the bonus of supportive feedback and I thank you for yours. Your so right when you said...So, "life is here, and every day of doing the right stuff is what's making it a pleasure....Each day that I stay on what I call "my journey" I'm relearning that life is a experiece that one participates, I've been a spectator for much too long. My journey is one of renewal, forgiveness, and patience. I've been my own worst enemy, looking back within this last year I've been changing on the inside, learning to say no...putting myself on my..to do list, now finally coming to the realization that I wasn't just going to wake up one morning and be smaller because I prayed and cried myself to sleep. I'm loving myself these days...without the weight-loss...YET, it's coming, I'll get there, one day at a time.

Between my Faith, this Forum and Medifast I know I can win!!!!
faithchild

Return to The Weight Room