Supplement that might help with cravings.

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Supplement that might help with cravings.

Postby dkearby » September 29th, 2006, 7:14 pm

I visited my Doctor today and she reccomended an amino acid supplement called TransLean Plus. It is supposed to regulate serotonin and Norapenephrin in the brain (2 neurotransmitters that affect appetite). There is a high success rate with this product. It does take a few weeks to kick in as it has to change the brain chemistry. I just wanted to share. I started today and will keep youo all posted!

David
David
236 - 236 - 170
dkearby

Postby electra000 » September 30th, 2006, 5:42 pm

Is this a prescription or do you buy it at a health food store?
electra000
Preferred member

Postby dkearby » September 30th, 2006, 6:06 pm

You ban buy it online just type in transleanplus in a search engine.
David
236 - 236 - 170
dkearby

Postby DogMa » September 30th, 2006, 6:40 pm

The only relevant research on their site is this, but it's a general study and doesn't specifically address this product. In fact, the last couple of sentences seem to say the research is very preliminary and it's too early to draw any conclusions.

2. Diet, monoamine neurotransmitters and appetite control Fernstrom JD, Fernstrom MH. Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Clin Perform Programme 2001;(5):117-31; discussion 131-3 This article has attempted to point out some of the relationships between 5-HT and catecholamine (NE, DA) neurons in brain and the control of appetite and food intake. At least two bodies of evidence support this connection. The first is pharmacologic, and demonstrates that drugs that stimulate transmission across 5-HT and/or catecholamine synapses suppress hunger and food intake. The second is physiologic and metabolic, and reveals that the ingestion of foods, on either an acute (single meal) or chronic basis, can reliably modify the uptake of TRP and TYR into brain (and hypothalamus), and directly alter the synthesis of their transmitters (5-HT and the catecholamines, respectively). The synthesis of these two bodies of information has led to models by which (1) changes in dietary carbohydrate ingestion, by modifying brain TRP uptake and 5-HT production, may cause like changes in 5-HT release, and in the stimulation of 5-HT receptors in brain circuits that control carbohydrate appetite, and (2) dietary protein intake, by altering brain TYR uptake, directly influences DA and NE synthesis (notably in hypothalamus), perhaps providing a signal to brain circuits monitoring dietary protein adequacy regarding protein intake. In this case, one might imagine that stimulating DA and/or NE receptors in such circuits might suppress protein intake, a possibility we are now examining in rats. As indicated in the Introduction, the broader issue being touched upon in this article concerns the body's need to acquire and maintain an optimal (or adequate) nutritional balance (for growth and ultimately, reproductive success). Rats and humans evolved in an environment that does not provide continuous access to all essential nutrients, and one that presents nutrients in a complex matrix (other animals, plants) that can also include toxic compounds. Together with the fact that animals and humans do not carry a guidebook to healthy eating, we must presume that the brain mechanisms that have evolved to optimize the acquisition of essential nutrients are 'automatic' (i.e., not conscious) and quite complex. In this context, the relationships described here must be viewed as rudimentary, touching only a small portion of this complex regulatory mechanism. The hope is, as further insights develop, that we will gain a better understanding of the workings of these mechanisms, and also be able to apply this knowledge to the development of better pharmacologic (and other) aids for controlling appetite and obesity in our modern, man-made environment.

I didn't see any studies on the site about the specific product's efficacy. I'm somewhat surprised a doctor would recommend it, unless she has some ties to the company.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby dkearby » October 1st, 2006, 6:29 am

I know she doesn't have any ties to the company. She has used the product as well as several of her staff. They all have had good results. There is research that shows that amino acids affect neurotransmitters which can affect appetite.
David
236 - 236 - 170
dkearby

Postby dkearby » October 1st, 2006, 6:33 am

She is a holistic Dr and does a lot of alternative treatments in her office. A lot of her patients have had success with this product.

All meds at one time were new and didn't have a lot of research backing them - but they were still reccomended. There is a lot of research starting to develop on the benefits of amino acids.
David
236 - 236 - 170
dkearby

Postby Serendipity » October 1st, 2006, 9:32 am

I think you may find that you don't need an appetite suppresent with Medifast. I am never hungry.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby JeepGirl » October 1st, 2006, 11:43 am

Serendipity wrote:I think you may find that you don't need an appetite suppresent with Medifast. I am never hungry.

I agree with Jo on this one. I dont think you will need any sort of supppresent and if you did there are AS shakes for that reason.

I know myself I wouldnt want to take anything else!
JeepGirl
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Return to Weight Loss