Strange Situation

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Strange Situation

Postby worldawind » May 21st, 2007, 9:12 am

Hi Guys,

Don't know if you remember I wrote about having a terrible metallic taste and an awful dryness inside my mouth and tongue. I was really scared I became allergic to the food. After talking with Lori Anderson and Dr. Anderson, they suggested I go off program for a few days to see if the situation improved. Well it did, the taste went away but still having a bit of a problem with the dryness. I went to the doctor and of course he ran blood tests but he doesn't think it has anything to do with the program, which is good but he still doesn't know what the problem is.

I was away on vacation last week and intended to bring the food with me which I then decided not to do. I was so unprepared for not having the food but I managed to actually lose a pound even though I was afraid to eat almost everything.

I'm going to stay away one more week from the program since the doctor is going to run more tests next monday. If everything comes back o.k. I'm going to start again. I'm following a protein low carb program which is what Lori Anderson suggested.

I'm proud of myself for losing another pound but worried what this all will mean in the long run. Everyone has noticed and I feel so good. I even wore a bathing suit and liked what I saw.

wish me luck. I'll let you know how it goes.

Norma
Started: Feb. 20, 2007
worldawind
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby katieb920 » May 21st, 2007, 10:30 am

Congrats on losing that #. That means you know what you are doing :lol: Good luck at the doctors,
Katie
katieb920
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby CaribGirl » May 21st, 2007, 10:40 am

Correct me someone if I'm wrong, but one of the first signs (or side effects, if you will) of ketosis is the metal taste in your mouth and the dryness. Am i not correct about that? if so, I wonder why your doctor is finding it necessary to run all of these tests. Does he know about your diet? I think it's great he''s being thorough, but I just wonder to what extent it's neceesary to run as many tests as it sounds like he's running on you.
CaribGirl
Trusted Member

Postby bikipatra » May 21st, 2007, 11:25 am

I wake up with a dry mouth almost every morning and drink 80-100 oz of water daily.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby worldawind » May 21st, 2007, 11:27 am

the metal taste is definitely because of the program but the puffiness around the inside of the lips and the tongue being affected is not. I specifically spoke with Lori Anderson and she with Dr. Anderson about the situation and they advised me to stop the food in case I was having an allergic reaction.

It is so uncomfortable you can't imagine. I just want to make sure that there is no other problem. One of the tests that the doctor ran came back with a high reading but he doesn't think it's the result of the program. I'm just going to have to wait and see.

I probably could have dealt with the metal taste if it was the only symptom but imagine everything you eat having no taste at all and being hard to talk because of the feeling around your lips.
worldawind

Postby CaribGirl » May 21st, 2007, 12:02 pm

Norma,
I di dnot realize that the metal mouth and dryness you are experiencing were so severe. I imagine that it is indeed miserable. i hope you are able to egt back on the program soon, if at all.
CaribGirl
Trusted Member

Postby Tawanda » May 21st, 2007, 12:49 pm

Norma, I'm glad you are having this checked out. I remember my mother having to go see a neurologist years ago, because her sense of taste went away and everything tasted metallic. I don't know if they ever found out 'why'.

I hope you do get a definitive diagosis or explanation.
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby bikipatra » May 21st, 2007, 12:57 pm

worldawind wrote:
I probably could have dealt with the metal taste if it was the only symptom but imagine everything you eat having no taste at all and being hard to talk because of the feeling around your lips.

I didn't realize how serious it was either. I hope you get the help you need.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby worldawind » May 22nd, 2007, 4:33 am

Thanks. As a matter of fact, the metallic taste is gone. I think that was probably brought on by the fat burning state and now even the lips and tongue are starting to feel better. I'm going to see the doctor again next Tuesday because my calcium number came back extremely high. I don't think it has anything to do with the program (even though it would be easier if it was) but I decided to eliminate it until I take the test. As long as everything continues to improve, I'm going back to medifast. I felt wonderful, it was working and I miss it.
worldawind

Return to Come on in.