Strange but True

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Strange but True

Postby Jan » March 17th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Hi Everybody
I know you all know I am a reader. So here's the latest that I found today that I think is quite interesting. I also have sleep apnea so I keep up on the latest sleep studies.
I thought this one was pretty funny -- probably not to those who experience it though :(

Here it is:

New reports appear to confirm weird behavior in patients taking the world's most popular sleeping pill ( I have chosen not to name it)
Perhaps the strangest of these behaviors is sleep eating. :mrgreen: It was first reported in 2002 by Michael H. Silber, MD co-director of the Mayo Clinic Sleep Disorder Center. Silber is the president elect of the American Adacemy of Sleep Medicine.

"What happens is the patients get out of bed, walk to the kitchen, prepare food :?
-- often sloppily and often with strange high-calorie ingredients :(
They have microwave food sometimes. :D They eat in a very sloppy way, either in the kitchen or after taking the food back to bed. :? And, they have no memory of it. :( They wake to find a mess in the kitchen or crumbs in the bed" :oops:
In each case the patient took the medication as prescribed. He has now seen some 20 cases.
"It could be injurious -- but I have not had anyone who set the kitchen on fire" -- :shock: "The most important thing is the severe embarassement and discomfort these patients experience. And some put on a lot of weight due to high-calorie sleep eating. :x

" We have some patients who have had it hapapen often -- in one patient, more than once a night." :shock:

Hmmmmm maybe we can blame our extra fluffiness on sleep eating-- I know none of us have munched high calorie stuff during our waking
hours :mrgreen: .

jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby ljm498 » March 17th, 2006, 6:17 pm

Jan, I've also heard about this study regarding a certain sleeping pill. For the life of me, I can't remember which one though. Yup, that MUST have been my problem all along! :lol:

I just recently heard about a sleeping pill causing people to sleep walk and then get in their cars and drive places. How scary is that!? I think it happened more with people who took the sleeping pill and drank alcohol while on the pill. This one guy they were talking about actually got pulled over and woke up and had absolutely no idea how he got in the car and to where he was. I'll need to remember THAT excuse the next time I get pulled over! :lol: But officer! I have NO IDEA how I got here! It must be my sleeping pill! I slept drove here. HONESTLY! :lol:
Lynne

Me 34
DH 41
DS 1
Dcats Pookie & Poto

Started 3/28/05
Starting Weight 214.5
Current Weight 125
Goal Weight 115-120
Total Lost 89.5 lbs!!! Wahoo!!!
ljm498
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Loribug » March 17th, 2006, 6:53 pm

I wish they had a sleeping pill that would make you exercise in your sleep!
Loribug
Preferred Member - #20 Club

LOL Lori

Postby Ginabobina1969 » March 17th, 2006, 8:17 pm

bahahah.. I want one of those too! :lol:

Hugs,
Gina

Previously...02/16/06 BMI-50 276/188
Restart....03/31/2008 -failed
Restart 03/26/09 280/267 Failed
Restart-Awaiting order. I cannot even bear to post my current weight...yet.
Ginabobina1969
Preferred Member - 60# Club

So true,

Postby dede4wd » March 17th, 2006, 9:00 pm

I haven't personally seen the sleeping eating or the sleeping driving, but I've DEFINITELY seen the sleepwalking...last night as a matter of a fact. Okay, I'm in a pretty nice Hilton. I went out last night and came home about 1am. I get up to my floor and there's a man wearing a t-shirt and nothing else (I mean nothing). He is taking a whiz on the carpet in the corner of the hallway. My co-worker says something to him, he doesn't answer, he just moseys down the hallway. I'm calling security as he wanders down the hallway...TOTALLY asleep! Okay, I bump into walls all the time in the middle of the night (doing the MF trot to the toitty), but this guy hit the front door and continued OUT!
:shock:
He gets to the end of the hallway, bumps into the wall, turns around and starts coming back at us down the hallway. By this time security gets to him and when they talk to him and touch him...HE WAKES UP! Yup, a little embarassed to say the least. The guy OBVIOUSLY doesn't have the key to his room and one of the dang guards asks if he's got ID to be let into his room. I can't help it I say, "ID, where! He's got no PANTS ON!" Anyway, I went into my room because the guy's humiliation was unbearable for me.

Funny you mention that article TODAY!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to The Weight Room