Re-starter question.. what can i expect?

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Re-starter question.. what can i expect?

Postby MLA9500-Lisa » February 11th, 2008, 9:50 am

Hi Everyone....

Ok... I need motivation help!!! I started Medifast in May of '07.. by Early september I had lost 30 lbs!! (not even my goal.. but it was good) and, don't ask me what happened.. the kids.. back to school, holidays, stress... well i put back 25 lbs... talk about wanting to kick yourself... :x And it was as if I tried really hard to put it back on!!

Well I've tried to restart SEVERAL times since Sept. I only COMPLETELY came off for a few weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. But other than that, I would have about 1-2 shakes a day and then blow it. and this has been going on.. therefore..

My question is: for all my fellow re-starters.. Is there a difference the 2nd time around? meaning... will the weight come off the same as the first time, if you follow the program? or does your body say " oh no... we've been here before.. not going to happen this time!"

I read all throughout the forum last night and i said... this time is it.. so its back to day 1 for me!! but i'm afraid.. because I never make it past day 2... I just seem so much hungrier this time around...

and, I really need to lose this weight... i have my daughters communion on May 3rd and then I have a Disney trip in June!! My favorite place!! Its the first time my children will be there... My parents are taking us for my dad's 60th birthday.. Its something they've planned ever since i got married... I want to be able to fit into the rides and the seats on the plane!!!!

If it wasn't for this forum... I'm not sure I would even be able to manage through today... You guys are the best.....

Sorry i rambled, but Thanks for reading!!
Lisa
MLA9500-Lisa

Postby rodeomom » February 11th, 2008, 10:19 am

Re-starting is harder for most people and is sounds like you are one of them. You have to get your head in the game. Sure MF is easy in theory, but if you are not totally committed you will not succeed. When you think you are hungry you need to ask yourself why you want to eat. Are you REALLY hungry or are you bored, tired, thirsty, stressed etc. Try to drink a bottle of water before you go to food. Occupy your mind with something else so you aren't thinking about food.

I really think that when we obsess over what we cannot have that is what we focus on. Instead of listing in your head all of the things you cannot have on MF think about all of the things you will be able to have when you reach goal.

I went off plan for medical reasons (surgery) and I am finding it difficult to stay focused, but last night I finally got my head in the game. No more screwing around - I am totally committed to MF and my exerise plan. I am going to fit into my new sun dresses when I visit my friend in San Antonio in March. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.
09/21/07 - 12/21/07 Lost 80 Pounds Ankle Surgery 12-21-07
rodeomom
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Serendipity » February 11th, 2008, 10:28 am

I've jumped back on program several times in the last year and have had no trouble losing. After Christmas, I went back on program for a month and lost 12 pounds. After going a little overboard, it's a good way to get back in line.

Give it a few days. When you finally get into ketosis, your hungries will go away.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby DogMa » February 11th, 2008, 10:35 am

But from what you said, you're having trouble getting through those first few days. I'd suggest using every available snack, and even having an extra shake, if you're that hungry, just to get you through. Try every trick in the book to distract yourself, too - go for a walk, do something with your hands, chew some gum, brush your teeth, tackle a cleaning project at home. And take things three hours - or ONE hour - at a time, till you're through the hardest part.

You did it before, and you can do it again. But it WILL take some willpower at first.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby DonicaB » February 11th, 2008, 12:11 pm

Lisa~ I am on Day 4 of my restart. I, too, have tried to restart several times since last July. I failed each and every time, because I didn't give it everything I had. And because I refused to come here and get the support I so desperately needed. I was so convinced I could do it all by myself and that stubbornness grew into days, weeks, and then months of gorging myself and gaining nearly all the weight I spent so much time and working so hard to lose.....back.

It was extremely difficult for me to come back here, but I was desperate to regain control of myself and my eating. I must have accountability and I must have it from someone other than myself. I am waaaaaayyyy to forgiving of myself. I actually believe my own excuses. That is a dangerous place to be.

As far as your questions......I think losing will be exactly the same as long as I stay compliant. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

You can make it through these first 2 days and then the next and the next. If possible come here every time you start to feel as if you are going to lose control and read some of the journals....get the encouragement you need. You deserve it.

I'll be here rootin for ya.

Doni
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby dede4wd » February 11th, 2008, 1:58 pm

Hi,
Glad you're back!

Yes, getting through the first week was hardest for me! Because I know MF was always there for me, there was always next Monday or whatever to re-start and I kept finding reasons why NOW wasn't the right time.

I think having a goal time is good, gives you something to work for!

When compliant and doing MF with the same gusto as the first time, my loss has been exactly the same!
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Out*With*The*Old » February 11th, 2008, 2:40 pm

You've got a lot of great advice ^ there and I don't have anything new to add - - except, start a Journal in the Journal thread and visit here often! There is tons of support here and you just might find the support from fellow MediFasters gives you the boost you need.

You did it before - you can do it again! Good luck to you!
Out*With*The*Old

Postby mla9500-Lisa » February 13th, 2008, 10:58 am

Hi !!

I made it through day 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm on day 3 !!!!!!!!!! I haven't gotten on the scale yet... I'm thinking Friday..

I have to honestly say, that it was this forum and all your responses that is keeping me on track. I read them and read them.. and when i have a hungry urge, I just read and read some more.. and it works!!!

DonicaB, you said you were on Day 4.. which now should be Day 6.. how are you doing?? did you get on the scale yet?

HUGE THANKS to ALL OF YOU!!!
Lisa XX00

but... I'm still hungry... lol....
mla9500-Lisa

Postby DonicaB » February 13th, 2008, 12:07 pm

Lisa~ Hi again!! I am on Day 6. I got on the scales this morning and I am down almost 5#. I was pretty excited. :bounce:

As far as the hunger goes.....for me it seems to decrease with each and every day that I stay compliant. I notice that I am thinking less about food that is off plan and more about what is on plan. I am also thinking about food less often because I'm not as hungry as I was before. Having a supplement every 2.5 to 3 hours helps keep us from being hungry.

I want to encourage you to join the forum. I noticed that it says you are a guest. If you join the forum you can go into other areas like the journals. Keeping a journal has really helped me.

Let us know if there is anything we can help with!!! :goteam:

Doni
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby Mike » February 13th, 2008, 12:16 pm

Great job Lisa,

By the way, since it appears you have forgotten your log-in, I reset the password to your original screen name temporarily until you log-in and reset it yourself.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Jan » February 13th, 2008, 12:40 pm

Hi there,
The key to parting with the pounds is to make certain your WHY is bigger than your immediate wants. There always has been and always will be tempting foods available .And of course we can always decide to start tomorrow .. or re-start tomorrow. But sometimes tomorrow just doesn't seem to arrive. Our WHY is just not big enough to keep us on track.
Stay in the HERE and NOW. Concentrate on WHY you want to get healthy!! Make a list .. and read it again and again and again until you have it firmly planted in your mind. Then when you're reaching for that tempting goodie ... you can recite the list to yourself. That goodie won't look quite as good. And remember those goodies don't fall off the face of the earth... but ... you may not even want them when you've changed your eating patterns .. but in case you do once in a while .. they'll be there. Just make certain not tooo often or your friend fluff will re-join you as well
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby kmr » February 19th, 2008, 2:44 pm

Hi Lisa,

Your story sounds all too familiar to me. It's exactly what kept happening to me every time I tried to restart in the past. Some people can just jump back on the plan with no problem, but from the many posts I've read here, it's not that easy for most people. It can be done though. Everyone already gave you some great advice, which also helped me out alot! :D I especially liked the tips that DogMa gave. I will definitely use them. This forum is great for moral support and you really do learn alot from other people. Wishing you all the best!
kmr
Preferred member

Postby Diana » February 19th, 2008, 8:08 pm

Hi, Lisa.

For me, the cravings took about 2 weeks to go away -- something that wasn't really an issue the first time around. It was new and exciting and easy. Like Jan suggests, my "why" was huge and it wasn't as huge the second time.

DogMa's advice is excellent and that's what got me through -- sheer force of will and a ton of baby dills and celery.

It may never be as easy as it was the first time, but it's VERY doable!!

Go get 'em, Lisa!
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Return to Come on in.