snacks?

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

snacks?

Postby Misti2k2 » September 3rd, 2005, 8:28 pm

Im doing my plan now, but so hungry! What snacks can I have in between my soups and shakes? I cant stand the bars, so I am not eating those. I read that I can have a dill pickls and celery right? Also a friend who did medifast said they ate beef jerkey and peanuts even though it was not ever written anywhere, and they still lost weight. Is this okay? Any other snack ideas are appreciated!
Misti2k2

Postby Nancy » September 3rd, 2005, 10:31 pm

NO!

No jerky!

No peanuts!

The recommendations for snacks is as follows:

You can have one snack per day.

The snack can be any of the following:

1-2 dill pickles
up to 3 celery stalks
1 c Sugar-free Jell-O
1 serving of Bouillon or 1 packet of Medifast Fast Soup
1 Packet of Medifast Crackers

The TSFL and Medifast Diet Nutritionist recommends that you have one snack per day due to the additional carbohydrates and calories it will add to your program.

When you are on the 5 and 1 Program, we are trying to maintain between 80-85 grams of carbohydrates and 800-1000 calories, in order to stay in the mild dietary state of ketosis.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Thank you!

Postby Misti2k2 » September 6th, 2005, 12:29 am

Thanks so much Nancy!!! :)
Misti2k2

Postby Lisa Renee » September 6th, 2005, 5:01 pm

Just wanted to ask, how can we stay within those carb limits with 5 shakes, a package of crackers and the veggies on the list of the lean and green? I am taking in over 100 carbs a day because of the extra shake I had to add. Just wondering if I'm still ok?
Lisa Renee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » September 6th, 2005, 9:13 pm

Strawberry ~

:x Sheesh!

I just :shock: realized that you are now in the 20 Pound Club! Sorry I missed that - I just moved ya on up....

The shakes have 13-14 carbs per shake x 5 = 70 carbs. Protein usually has 0 carbs and whatever you add with your vegetable serving...if hunger and cravings have gone away, your energy level is good and you are losing weight, you are there - no worries.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Lisa Renee » September 6th, 2005, 9:23 pm

Yes, but I have 6 shakes a day (84 carbs), a pack of crackers (14 carbs) and even romaine lettuce or green beans or zuccinni have at least 3-4 carbs. 1-2 carbs in the dressing, even if it's low cal/fat free. If I had a bar every day (another 10 carbs in addition to what a shake would be), that would put me even higher. I am loosing weight and not feeling too many symptoms of hunger, so no complaints here. Just wondering if I was doing every thing right ;)
Lisa Renee

Postby Nancy » September 7th, 2005, 7:25 am

It looks like things are working for you, Strawberry. Just trust the program. You are eating balanced meals - each packet is in the right proportion and contains all the nutrients that you need. By eating on time, you are doing well.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Lisa Renee » September 7th, 2005, 7:52 am

Okay dokey...Aren't you glad I ask so many questions? lol

I have decided to stay away from the crackers for now. I might change my mind tomorrow, but for now I think since I had to add another shake a day that puts my carbs up and I probably shouldn't have the crackers too at this point. Which really makes me sad because I love my tuna with crackers.... Guess I will have to go back to pretending my romaine lettuce is a cracker...It does crunch, I will just use my imagination. :lol:
Lisa Renee

Postby Nancy » September 7th, 2005, 7:56 am

Since your HA added the shake, I think the choice to drop the crackers is probably a good idea or to have crackers on non-bar days.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Snacks

Postby aimalasplace » September 8th, 2005, 7:31 pm

Nancy wrote:
You can have one snack per day.

The snack can be any of the following:

1-2 dill pickles
up to 3 celery stalks
1 c Sugar-free Jell-O
1 serving of Bouillon or 1 packet of Medifast Fast Soup
1 Packet of Medifast Crackers

Can I get a clarifiaction-
We can only have ONE snack of the listed above?
I was having a few broths and some pickles a day. The pickles were weighed and were no more that 3 carbs.
I think that I will need more than one for a bit till I am back in ketosis.
aimalasplace
Trusted Member

Postby Nancy » September 8th, 2005, 9:23 pm

Yeah, select ONE item...

This is different from my original training that stated 2 dills AND 3 stalks of celery AND up to 2 cups of bouillon or 2 packets of Fast Soup. The TSFL and Medifast Diet Nutritionist recommends that you have only one measly snack per day due to the additional carbohydrates and calories.

Some people will not lose as well if they have more than one snack per day.

Usually it is in the beginning of the weight loss program that people feel the need for several snacks and for most people, it has worked to have a couple snacks initially to get them through the rough stage but please know that I am going on record as saying, ONLY ONE SNACK ITEM is permitted... :mrgreen:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby aimalasplace » September 8th, 2005, 11:59 pm

That could have been my problem before. I found that I was drinking alot of broth and eatting pickles. Thanks for the update
aimalasplace
Trusted Member

Postby Lisa Renee » September 9th, 2005, 12:06 am

Yeah I tried the broth and pickles and couldn't loose. I just do the packets only and my lean and green now and 100 oz of water.. Everything else is a nice perk, but I don't see the scale move much when I am taking advantage of all the options. Cracker/pickles/celery/broth only slowed my weight loss down. I think Medifast is awesome and I think they added some options so that people wouldn't feel so limited just doing shakes. This is ok for many, but for some of us that it's not working for, it's good to know what to eliminate and what might be causing the slow progress down the scale. On weight watchers, I started out with like 2200 calories a day and lost weight. However, I was STARVING most of the time because there is really no limit on carbs, just calories and fat. Medifast is less calories, but is done in a way that I have more appetite control than I have had in my entire life.

Lisa
Lisa Renee

Postby Nancy » September 9th, 2005, 8:58 pm

broth + pickles = a whole lotta sodium...= water retention....

I'd never do both on the same day. My years of obesity have messed up the little artery 'gates' in my ankles and water pools in my ankles if I am sedentary and if I eat very salty foods...it may affect others in the same way.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Come on in.