Site for Sight

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Site for Sight

Postby mellowmom » January 23rd, 2007, 12:52 am

My 2nd son, Nate had an operation last week to try and return some additional vision into his left eye. He has a condition that he inherited from his dad called Von Hippel- Lindau Syndrome and part of the disease is recurring vascular tumors that pop up in all sorts of wonky places, like the spine, brain, and eyes.

At 30 years of age, Nate is blind in his right eye. So this surgery on his "good" eye is a crucial endeavor to retain his vision.

The prognosis is very good post surgery and the doctors are very optimistic that he'll gain additional sight, but while recuperating, Nate has to keep his head face down and is in effect totally blind for the next 3-4 weeks.

Ever the plucky guy, Nate, who is an metro editor for the Detroit Free Press, has turned his experience into an opportunity to blog his way through it and is offering his take on living in a sightless world.

I think it's very good, if I do say so myself, informative and sobering with a lot of humor mixed in. If any of you would like to read it, the URL for it is:

www dot site4site dot blogspot dot com

Carmel
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Return to What's Shakin'