Shirataki Noodles

Add your favorite recipes.

Shirataki Noodles

Postby Pashta » May 3rd, 2007, 1:03 pm

Hey guys and gals, who here eats the shirataki noodles? I'm considering trying them as something different. If anyone has and has any good uses for them please let me know. I read earlier today that they can pan-fried in a tsp of olive oil (1 fat alottment) to taste a little toasted, but that's all I found.

Oh and if anyone doesn't know about them.. here's the skinny from Nutrition Support on how to count them:

An individual could have ½ cup portion as one serving of vegetables

(This means you could have up to 1 ½ cups of shirataki noodles—12 ounces or a combination of 1 cup (8 ounces) shirataki noodles + ½ cup raw or cooked veggies or 1 cup salad greens, etc, etc).

For your specific situation, you could do 1 cup shirataki noodles + 1/2 cup zucchini

For those of you who may not know...what are shirataki noodles?
Shirataki Noodles are “composed of thin, gelatinous strings made from yam flour (polysaccharide-glucomannan) from the Konnyaku root and has very low caloric or digestible food values. This traditional Japanese food is enjoyed for its simple taste and unique texture”

(this is from the back of a product package)

Although these are a viable option when following the Medifast 5 and 1, we encourage individuals to choose these only occasionally as they are void of many of the wonderful micronutrients a person would receive when choosing to consume actual vegetables as their "green" choice.
(Sorry, sometimes I have to be "the mom" and remind people to eat their veggies! )

Enjoy!
Jessica

These noodles can be found in any Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s-type stores…
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby KellyC » May 3rd, 2007, 3:02 pm

They are lovely when toasted in sesame oil!

I've used these alot actually. You can buy them in lots of shapes, including fettucine and spaghetti. With the Walden Farms Alfredo & chicken or Walden Farms Marinara and ground turkey meatballs, you can have a very low calorie meal that will leave you full for a long while.

I use them in stir fry too..

3/4c - 1c mixed stir fry veggies: red peppers, onion, green beans (as an alternative to snap peas), broccoli

1/2c prepared chicken bouillon

1TBSP oil (vegetable, olive or my favorite, sesame)

2TBSP Soya sauce (I use low sodium)

Optional: red pepper flakes.

Chicken breast, equal to 7 oz cooked, cut in strips and marinated in soya sauce, 1-2 cloves crushed garlic, cracked pepper, and a few grates of fresh ginger (I buy ginger fresh, and freeze them, it makes it super easy to grate them, and they last for ages in the freezer)

1/2 - 3/4c prepared Shirataki noodles (if you rinse them well and put them in a pot with water that is not quite boiling with a touch of vinegar, it neutrilizes the "off" flavor they sometimes have)

You can use TOFU as a replacement for chicken, and veggie bouillion in replace of chicken bouillion -- it still tastes great!

In frying pan on medium-high, add 1/2 TBSP oil and chicken.. cook chicken for about 3 minutes, remove from pan and set aside.

Add veggies, stirring until onions have softened a bit.

Add chicken back to pan, add broth, soya, red pepper flakes, remaining oil. Let boil, continue stirring until chicken is done and sauce has thickened.

Be careful not to over-cook: vegetables should still have some crunch!

Serve over Shirataki noodles.

:)
KellyC
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby GucciGoo » May 3rd, 2007, 3:24 pm

I think there is a many-paged thread about this that was circulating around.... I'll see if I can find it for you :)
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo

Postby Mike » May 3rd, 2007, 4:49 pm

They are listed in the FAQ's on the Medifast website:

Can I Have shirataki noodles?

You can have shirataki noodles - serving size 1-1/2 cup (12-oz). This would be considered the “Green” portion of your Lean & Green Meal.

I get them at Safeway and they are in liquid. Just rinse and heat.

I have used them like spaghetti with a low carb marinara and chicken

There are also a few places in here addressing them:

http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9333

http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9004

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Pashta » May 3rd, 2007, 5:29 pm

Thanks Mike, but I was looking for ways to cook them hehe! KellyC gave me a great idea, thanks! :)
- Tonia

Pashta

Postby Mike » May 3rd, 2007, 7:23 pm

This reminded me that I had some in the fridge and so I made that for dinner. A little marinara and 5 oz lean hamburger with a couple of sliced olives and voila... spaghetti.

Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby nickieluv » May 3rd, 2007, 7:34 pm

I am tempted to try these but I don't think I could stop at a 'little' marinara. Another neat maintenance idea, though - I'm trying to pick up little calorie-saving tricks like these....
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Pashta » May 4th, 2007, 5:16 am

It's amazing to me how low calorie and carb they are... 40 calories and 6 carbs for *8 ounces* of this stuff (2 servings). I'm worried about the taste but we shall see. ;)
- Tonia

Pashta

Postby Mike » May 4th, 2007, 12:22 pm

Its kinda like tofu on the taste. Just rinse them and then they take on the taste of whatever they are in. As for consistency.... well, think al dente.

Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Return to Lean Cuisine