Salad dressings - AGAIN!

Add your favorite recipes.

Salad dressings - AGAIN!

Postby FORMOMMY » March 10th, 2006, 10:35 am

Alright - I'm getting more confused (easy to do - trust me). I looked at old links to this question and once Nancy said that the salad dressing shouldn't be more than 15 calories. But the new MF dressings are 70 calories. ???????

I tried the Walden Farms ones - sorry but I just don't like the taste of them. I tried the vinegarette and Caesar - there is just a taste that I don't like in fat free dressings. So I am trying to do my best with putting dressings on my salad. I eat salad most nights for my L&G so this is really important since I do it EVERY DAY!

Could someone please set me straight as to the calories we should be looking at - 15 or 70???? Or a different number???

Thank you :hug:
Michelle
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil 4:13

Started 1/23/06
Recommitted 1/02/07
FORMOMMY
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Nancy » March 15th, 2006, 7:08 pm

Yep, I noticed the calories for the new Medifast salad dressings are 70.

Here’s the low down..

~ Medifast Creamy Ranch ~

Calories: 70
Fat: 6 g
Sodium: 320 g
Carbs: 3 g
Sugars: 2 g
Protein: 0 g

~ Medifast Red Bell Pepper Italian ~

Calories: 70
Fat: 6 g
Sodium: 360 g
Carbs: 5 g
Sugars: 4 g

The serving size is 28 grams. I did not pour it out into a measuring spoon but I suspect it is close to 2 tablespoons. I am not great at doing the conversions to the metric system...

The Creamy Ranch does not taste like a regular Ranch Dressing to me - not like Uncle Dan's or Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing. It had a hint of Parmesan flavor; I think it's a bit sweet. I liked the Red Bell Pepper Italian much better than the Ranch. It was slightly sweet and the vinegar is noticeable.
Personally, I think it is pricey calorically. I ordered one box of each and while I like the convenience of the individual servings – they come in handy single serving size packets for tucking inside my purse for dining out; I prefer to eat lower calorie dressings or eat my salad naked.
Re: calories for salad dressing…the total calories for the salad dressing and salad greens with tomato, cucumber, celery, etc. should be about 80-85 so I select dressings that are around 10-20 calories per 2 Tablespoon serving. I was surprised at the caloric value but I know it is designed for use on the 5 & 1 Program and is considered to be within the approved range.

I really like Bernstein’s Fat Free Cheese and Garlic Italian.

Calories: 10
Fat: 0
Sodium: 380 g
Carbs: 2 g
Sugar: 1 g
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby JustLynda » March 16th, 2006, 5:45 am

I don't have a bottle in front of me, but based on the stats for the Medifast dressings, I'm thinking that you might want to try some of the "lite" dressing that are around. You know, not quite Fat Free, but still better than full fat. For example, Kraft has the "light done right" line and Wishbone has their "just 2 good." I'm sure there are others.

I've found that enjoying diet dressing is kind of like enjoying diet sodas. It's a mindset issue. I don't expect diet soda to taste exactly like the regualar sodas--I treat is as a separate, individual drink with it's own unique taste. If you don't expect "lite" ranch dressing to taste exactly like the full-fat version, it might not be so bad. (Havng said that, I've never found a diet ranch that I like, but I am fond of some of the other "lite" flavors).

Hope this helps. And please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong about the use of the "light" dressings.

-Lynda
Start Date: February 18, 2006
JustLynda
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » March 16th, 2006, 10:28 am

I totally agree with you, Lynda - it IS a mindset...everything about weight management is a mindset.

I actually prefer the taste of salad now, the crunchy leafy green vegetables have great flavor and the markets provide such a wonderful variety of greens from which to choose - no longer do I drown my salad in fat-laden dressings and croutons. I like the way I feel and look so I don't need the high fat dressings any more. It sounds like you have found some great dressings that suit your needs and tastes, too! Thanks for sharing!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby FORMOMMY » March 16th, 2006, 10:33 am

I agree about the mindset - but as I reach the pinnacle of success that you have Nancy and can get to the nekked salad point - I need something to get me through - HA!

Right now, I do have a "lite" balsamic vinegerette that I am using which is good. I also sometimes just use a sprinkling of just balsamic vinegar on my salad. I just cannot get behind the fat free flavor - yuck!

Some day I want to be just like Nancy :o and eat my salad au naturale!!!! hee hee
Michelle

Started 1/23/06
Recommitted 1/02/07
FORMOMMY

Postby aphrael » March 16th, 2006, 11:43 am

I use the wishbone and the kraft done right dressings. You get 2 tablespoons of them, I wasn't a fan of the walden farm dressing I tried.

I have found that the 2 tablespoons is too much dressing! I never thought I would say that, I have gotten so use to eatting dry veggies or with just a spritz of i can't beleive it's not butter that the dressing is very over powering.

So for the lesser calories I will just avoid the Medifast dressing, I would rather spend the calories elsewhere.
Aphrael

Due Nov. 16th
aphrael

Postby Serendipity » March 16th, 2006, 12:55 pm

I don't like all of the Walden Farms dressings, but if you haven't tried the Creamy Bacon (0 cal) dressing, you might want to give it a try before you write off WF. I love it. It has a smokey bacon flavour.

Another flavour I like is the thousand island.

I tried something different last night in my salad. I used the WF 0 cal. ranch and added some 0 cal. hickory smoked bbq sauce. It was really good....kind of had a southwestern taste.

At the grocery store.....have you tried the Paul Newman low fat balsamic vinegrette? I think it's about the right calories/fat/carbs and it's tasty.

Just my 2 cents.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby FORMOMMY » March 16th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Alright - I will try the 1000 Island one before I write them off - HA. No I haven't tried to Paul Newman dressing but I will - I love his regular stuff. Thanks for the info.
Michelle

Started 1/23/06
Recommitted 1/02/07
FORMOMMY

Return to Lean Cuisine