Recipe request

Add your favorite recipes.

Recipe request

Postby LoriHatesOkra » April 28th, 2007, 6:22 pm

I really don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I was looking at the stuffed portabella mushroom and zucchini boat recipes and they sound good but I really want something with spinach and cheese.

Can you guys come up with something that has spinach, tomatoes, cheese (either mozzarella or cottage cheese... or both) and possibly even some ground turkey? I understand with the restrictions it may not be possible to have both the cheese and meat. I guess I'm looking for that Italian sort of feel but I'm really open to anything with the spinach and cheese. It can be stuffed something, lasagna like or even just a casserole type recipe... beggars can't be choosers, right? lol

The only thing I can think of Italian like that I don't enjoy is eggplant.

Thanks in advance! You guys really are life savers with these recipes you come up with. :thumbup:
LoriHatesOkra
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Mike » April 28th, 2007, 10:57 pm

I don't know about spinach, but there is my recipe for Italian Zucchini Pie, and a number of folks have tweaked it. None have come out bad so far.
Personally, I'm not much for spinach unless its raw and in a salad, so can't help ya there.

http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/diet-7561.html
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby LoriHatesOkra » April 29th, 2007, 1:33 pm

Thanks!

That's sorta part of my problem I love spinach but I don't know how to cook with it. I've always eaten it raw in a salad or out of the can. I was thinking this morning that I could probably just stuff a chicken breast somehow. That just might work :D
LoriHatesOkra

Postby bikipatra » April 29th, 2007, 1:43 pm

LoriHatesOkra wrote:Thanks!

That's sorta part of my problem I love spinach but I don't know how to cook with it. I've always eaten it raw in a salad or out of the can. I was thinking this morning that I could probably just stuff a chicken breast somehow. That just might work :D

I use it in omelettes.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Diana » April 29th, 2007, 5:38 pm

Yep, me too, Biki! And now with the change in restrictions, I can add a little cheese (low fat Feta is good), spinach, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, some red pepper flakes, garlic, a T of red onion (shhh -- they're no longer on the approved list) and a few kalamata olives to my 2-egg omlet. It's still not 1.5 c of steamed veggies, so some on the side will be necessary.

I read or heard somewhere that it takes about 9 c of fresh spinach to make 1.5 c steamed (!!!). Perhaps broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant...
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby LoriHatesOkra » April 29th, 2007, 7:05 pm

Ok, I need help to figure out how compliant my lean portion of dinner was. I made stuffed chicken and it was yummy. My fiance hates spinach so I didn't make him any but it smelled so good he begged for a bite... his reaction "That's not diet food!!" lol

Here's what I made:

Filling
1 tbsp canned spinach
1 tbsp low fat cottage cheese
1 tbsp low fat mozzarella
1/2 tbsp chopped tomatoe
Italian seasoning
Also note, I made the filling but not all of it fit into the breast so I didn't use quite all of it.

I took a small chicken breast (aprox 5-6 oz) and cut about a 1 inch hole in the side of it and used my finger to open a pocket throughout the breast. I then stuffed it with the mixture "sewed" the hole shut with a wooden skewer and placed it in a sprayed baking dish. I made a simple tomatoe sauce out of tomatoes (I found some at the store that basically didn't have anything added to it) and italian seasoning and topped the chicken with about 3 tbsp of the sauce. I cooked it at 400 for 20 mins covered with foil then removed the foil and cooked another 15 mins. I added another tbsp of mozzarella to the top and let it melt. Part of the tomatoe sauce I put on the top liquified and burned to the pan. I think I wouldn't remove the foil till the last 5-10 mins to prevent this. I think I ended up with closer to 1.5 or 2 tbsp of sauce on the top.

I had a salad with 2 tbsp of low carb/low cal dressing and since I didn't know how much to reduce it because of the minimal spinach and tomatoes I just made the 2 cups and then took a tiny bit out.

Did I totally mess up or does that sound about right?
LoriHatesOkra

Postby hulagirlfromhawaii » April 29th, 2007, 10:22 pm

Sounds really yummy and compliant! With the salad, that makes a great L&G! I'm gonna have to try it! Thanks Lori! :mrgreen:
Kanani

165/146.5/125
hulagirlfromhawaii
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Mike » April 29th, 2007, 11:11 pm

Given that its just T's of cheese and spinach and as long as your salad is a good one, I would say it looks pretty good.
Perhaps I will try this. Sounds like a ravioli stuffing inside a chicken breast....
When I have time I will attempt it.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to Lean Cuisine