recipe request: fish!

Add your favorite recipes.

recipe request: fish!

Postby KellyC » June 19th, 2007, 12:11 pm

I don`t like fish. I have never liked fish. Jeremy LOVES fish. I hate cooking fish because I don`t know what I`m doing, and the whole house ends up stinking of fish which totally turns me off and I end up not eating at all.

However.. I find I am eating too much red meat lately.. and I need a change. My FIL is constantly fussing at me to eat more fish because it`s oh so good for us.. I will eat tuna from a can, mixed with pickles and mustard, and sometimes other veggies but that`s pretty rare.

So, if anyone has any advice, suggestions and recipes for a fish-hater, please, chime in, it will be most appreciated!

cheers,
Kelly
KellyC
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Serendipity » June 19th, 2007, 12:37 pm

Talapia is a very mild fish. If you buy it fresh, it doesn't even smell like fish.

I put it in foil with tomato slices, zucchini, slices, a bit of onion, sprinkle with paprika and bake for about 15-20 minutes @ 350.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Mike » June 19th, 2007, 1:02 pm

I also use Tilapia. Its moist and has great flavor. I broil it with salsa, or bake it with a little garlic and lemon.
Another way is to do the mixed veggies thing and just add chucks of the fish to it kinda like a stew (using the things Jo mentioned plus mushrooms).
Hope these help Kelly.

;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby CaribGirl » June 20th, 2007, 5:12 am

I am not a fish lover either and share your sentiment about it stinking up the house. I have found, however, that grouper is very mild and I can cook it on the stove in a pan with a little olive oil flavored non-stick apray and it is quite good. I have always heard that if you first soak your fish in milk it will not stink up the house. I don't know how that would work with MF, but you can use that tip for future reference.
CaribGirl
Trusted Member

Postby Unca_Tim » June 20th, 2007, 8:37 am

A little dry rub with Cajun spice on Salmon is yummy.

It's barbque season too. Saves stinking up the house....:)
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby DogMa » June 20th, 2007, 9:34 am

I use tilapia a lot, too. I usually grill it on my Foreman-type grill with either some seasoning or a little sugar-free teriyaki sauce. You might also try the meatier fishes, like swordfish, shark or halibut. Or how do you feel about shrimp and scallops and other shellfish?

I can't stand salmon, though. Talk about stinky - I can't even be at the same table as someone who's eating it.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Elizabeth » June 20th, 2007, 10:54 am

I make mine like Jo does with the foil. I don't like my house smelling like fish either so I make mine on the grill in the foil. Use a cooking spray on foil, wrap in a pouch with veggies and seasonings, set grill to medium and put the fish on top shelf.
Elizabeth
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby KellyC » June 22nd, 2007, 9:04 pm

I'll try the tilapia and the grouper then.. i don't care for halibut.. shark i've had but it's expensive, same with swordfish.. i really want to try tuna steaks, but they are very expensive, so i'm saving them for a special occasion.

cooking with salsa is a great idea, i'll try that for sure, it seems like that would mask the fish smell and flavour well..

for other seafood, I like shrimps ok, cooked with garlic and spritzed with lemon theyre' nice.. but i dont' like to cook them, again, the smell bothers me. calamari i love, but of course we can't have them on MF.. at least not the yummy battered and kind anyways.. scallops i like as well, but i can only eat one or two medium sized ones, and the poissonnerie doesn't like selling small amounts like that.

thanks for the suggestions y'all :)
KellyC

Postby bikipatra » June 23rd, 2007, 4:38 am

KellyC wrote:I'll try the tilapia and the grouper then.. i don't care for halibut.. shark i've had but it's expensive, same with swordfish.. i really .. scallops i like as well, but i can only eat one or two medium sized ones, and the poissonnerie doesn't like selling small amounts like that.
:)

That's fish market for those of you who didn't take 8 years of French. I remember a little.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Mike » June 23rd, 2007, 5:52 pm

Or those who had 1 year, 10th grade, 1985. ;)
I remembered that fish and poison are only 1 extra "s" different from each other. For some, it basically is the same though.... :roll:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby KellyC » June 23rd, 2007, 11:35 pm

whoops..
it's strange the small regional slangs (or words of an entirely different language) that slip into everyday speech, without a second thought... i suppose were i to move to boston, i'd start calling a water fountain a bubbler!

and funnily enough, i wanted to take french all the way through school, but my parents wouldn't let me - their theory was, since spanish is spoken by such a huge portion of the world, that it would serve me better than french would.. go figure i would end up engaged to a french moroccan and living in bilingual montreal!
KellyC

Postby bikipatra » June 24th, 2007, 1:55 am

Mike wrote:Or those who had 1 year, 10th grade, 1985. ;)
I remembered that fish and poison are only 1 extra "s" different from each other. For some, it basically is the same though.... :roll:

They are pronounced differently too. Poison is more of a "z" sound while the double "s" is more of a traditional american sssssss.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Mike » June 24th, 2007, 2:02 am

Yep, I remembered that part too. I reverted back to Spanish after a year... just easier to speak I suppose. I got A's in both.

Around here we don't get poissonnerie's as much as we get panaderia's and carniceria's ;)

My favorite Panaderia is actually a pseudo Carniceria also. Its called Hectors in Freedom, Ca (right next to Watsonville), and they have the best tortillas in the world.. just ask them, they will tell you ;)

Eventually I will be able to enjoy them again :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby Jan » June 24th, 2007, 8:49 pm

Hmmm,
I guess with languages it's either "use it of lose it" :mrgreen: so I used to speak fluent Spanish ... but I lost it. :? Never did know any French but do know a few words of German... nothing really to communicate .. just a word or two. (We had a German exchange student live with us for a year and I learned a few words in self defense!!)
Ok now to fish. I love orange ruffy .. it's a solid fish and quite mild. I also love to bar-b-que tuna steaks. When you order them in the restaurant they come looking raw to me so I only have them at home. I really offended a chef once and now I just stay away from tuna in the restaurant ... the only thing I like medium rare is a steak... beef that is :mrgreen:
If you like shrimp or crab you could always buy it already cooked and just make a big salad... yummmmy.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby rodeomom » January 14th, 2008, 8:25 pm

I know this is an older post, but I wanted to "weigh" in on it. Unless it is deep fried in beer batter then dunked in tartar sauce, I am not a fan of fish. HOWEVER; recently, I started to try some marinades with our fish. My uncle is an avid fisherman and brings home much more than he can eat alone so we have an abundance of catfish and sawguy (sp). Anyway, Newman's Own light dressings like the Balsalmic Vinegar make WONDERFUL fish marinades. There are several other options out there like Lawry's brand in a Tequila Lime, Sesame Ginger, Baja Chipotle, Caribbean Jerk marinades and a whole bunch more. I swear I didn't even THINK I was eating fish when I used any of these. They are plan legal too with low Carbs and sugar.

Try it!!
09/21/07 - 12/21/07 Lost 80 Pounds Ankle Surgery 12-21-07
rodeomom
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Next

Return to Lean Cuisine