cioppino with leftover fish

Add your favorite recipes.

cioppino with leftover fish

Postby Diana » June 5th, 2006, 9:52 pm

I made this a while back with some leftover fish (I normally detest leftovers and must thoroughly disguise them -- it then becomes an ingredient!) and supplemented with some frozen shrimp we had in the freezer. Pretty tasty.

In a pan sprayed with something and perhaps some water added, cook onion, a few freshly minced garlic cloves, celery and some mushrooms. Once the onions are cooked, add canned tomatoes and/or some peeled fresh ones if you'd like. Add spices and let it reduce a bit. Tip: Don't add the tomatoes too soon. The acid in them stops the onions from cooking any further which makes the sauce a little bitter.

I can't remember, exactly, what the spices were, so here's what I found out from good ol' Betty Crocker (or, rather, Better Homes and Gardens now, but it's the same book):

Green peppers with the onions (I skip this part as often as possible)
Parsley, oregano, basil, salt, about 1/4 t of each

(Seems to me I added more than this! A bay leaf maybe? and definitely some red pepper flakes along with anything else that jumped off the spice rack -- maybe even some allspice or cinnamon --just a dash, something I picked up from my grandfather's Spanish omelet sauce) You can also add other veggies: summer squash, asparagas, string beans

Ok, back to the dish. In a stoneware bowl (or similar thing that's oven safe), put the leftover fish and balance with seafood (shrimpies, scallops, mussels if you have to (not my favorite), clams, crab, krill?? just kidding) to equal 7 oz -- account for shells if there are any. Ladle 1 1/2 c of the tomato concoction over the seafood. At this point you can either eat it or throw it in the oven for some more heat if the protein warrants it.

Although I missed the sourdough we usually eat with cioppino, I bet the crackers would work in a pinch (or maybe the soy crisps! hmmmm)

Hope this tickles your fancy. Enjoy!
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Return to Lean Cuisine