A reason to continue...

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

A reason to continue...

Postby Hyperion » November 8th, 2005, 8:15 am

Hi all,

By the way, I speak french, so sorry for my lack of "medical" vocabulary. Some people know it's been 5 days since I began MF. I'm 21, and I have a 46 years-old mother.

My mother has always been obese. Morbidly so, about 350-380 pounds. Well, two days ago, fate had a bad surprise for her.

She climbed the stairs, and since 2 years, she has difficulty walking (feet problems, especially knee). This time, she felt a terribly strong wound in her feet, and she fell...

1 hour later, hospital, tests, etc... It seems some vein collapsed in her leg, just behind her knee. She can't walk anymore because she can't support her weight. Doctor said it could have been REALLY worse; like a little rock of blood in her leg that could go up her heart or brain (like cerebrovascular anebrism).

It really pains me to see my mother this way, because she is really complexed about her weight, and she eats her emotions... We can't (my father, me, or my bro) talk to her about this problem, because she is really too close-minded on that subject...

However, doctor told me this was the first out of "probably" other problems she would encounter soon...

46, and we don't know how much time she will be still alive. I cried last night, not knowing if she will have the chance of knowing my children. Today, I thought that I could at least make this situation helpful for others.

If there are any overweight parents here, listen to me carefully. Your children may not ALWAYS tell you that they love you. However, I can ensure you it's horrible for a child to know her mother will die at such a young age because of fat! I'm sure they will want to share these moments (kids, first house, job, successes, failures, etc) with you before you depart for a better world. For God's sake, give them this chance, you CAN, obesity is not like sickness, it CAN be reversed!!!!!
264/150
Began: 2005-11-03
Finished: Never

Went to 150, then began gym to build some muscle; currently 173.8! (Need to cut some fat)

<b>Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now, and what you want the most.</b>
Hyperion
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby ljm498 » November 8th, 2005, 10:42 am

Hyperion, you are so very right. That's one of the most motivating reasons for me to get this fat off. So I can live a long life (hopefully) and be here to watch my son grow up and grow old with my husband. It is so hard watching our parents get older and having problems creep up period, but when it's something they can do something about, and they don't, it's just so sad and very frustrating. And unfortunately, there's not much we can do about it except for be there for support.

I'm so sorry to hear that your Mom is having these health problems. I will certainly keep her and you in my prayers. You never know, maybe she will have a change of heart and decide to lose the weight. I hope that will be the case.

:hug:
Lynne

Me 34
DH 41
DS 1
Dcats Pookie & Poto

Started 3/28/05
Starting Weight 214.5
Current Weight 125
Goal Weight 115-120
Total Lost 89.5 lbs!!! Wahoo!!!
ljm498
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Nancy » November 8th, 2005, 11:40 am

Hyperion ~

Oh, what a blessing YOU are! Your writing made my heart ache for you because it could have been a story about me written by my daughter a few years back. I was headed for a real hospital disaster had I not found Medifast when I did. I am so sorry that you are faced with the grim reality that obesity is a killer and it is a serious medical condition. Kudos to you for doing something about your weight. Perhaps as time goes by, your weight loss will prove to be an inspiration to her.

I have family members that are obese and it breaks my heart - they have seen me before and after flabdom and they see me allow the smashed potaters and gravy to pass by and they load up on them...I dunno. We can only do it for ourselves and hope that we can inspire and influence others to follow in our footpath.

I know that when I was obese I thought about my weight every day of my life. I hated my fatness. I hated myself. I perceived myself as being weak-willed and very selfish. I wanted my own foody way. There were doctors telling me to lose weight, my parental units looked at me with disgust and I felt very discouraged about it. I had tried a lot of different ways to lose weight and had spent thousands of dollars and never was able to be successful until I met Medifast. As you are able and when she asks you, introduce your Mom to Medifast.

Hyperion, just do what you need to do to get your weight to a healthy level. As your weight is reduced, begin to include exercise and develop good health habits - your lifestyle will affect your Mom. She may have given up hope of ever being able to manage her weight. She doesn't need another person to nag her and make her feel more discouraged at this point in her life. You are young in age but very wise in your thinking. She will see what you are doing and you can impact her for good!

Blessings and prayers to you and your Mom.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to The Weight Room