Is real chicken soup legal?

Add your favorite recipes.

Is real chicken soup legal?

Postby lan » January 1st, 2006, 2:37 pm

Sitting around here today, I have been thinking of what would be good for the "lean and green" today.

I would love to make some real chicken soup with chicken breast, a few shakes of onion/garlic salt, low sodium chicken broth, celery and maybe a few other veggies.

Does that sound legal to you?

How about if I scrambled up some egg whites and stirred them into the finished soup to make faux noodles? Probably not on the egg whites, but I am just dreaming.

Please let me know what you think.

Lan
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. - Henry David Thoreau

lan
Trusted Member - #70 Club

Chicken soup

Postby Jan » January 1st, 2006, 3:24 pm

You can make your chicken soup. Just use 7 oz of chicken breast cut it up and add the rest of your ingredients. You have 2 cups of raw veggies to play with. I would think onion, celery and chopped carrots would be great. Spice up the broth any way you choose. Bouillon is always good along with a few other spices. Now about that egg. hmmmm this is marginal. You would have to cut down on the chicken pieces -- maybe to about 4 oz and then add one egg. I wouldn't do that toooo often and maybe not at all. But as to the soup -- yummy
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Serendipity » January 1st, 2006, 4:26 pm

Carrots? :secret: They aren't on my list.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » January 1st, 2006, 5:50 pm

Carrots!
:whattha:
Jan...go to your room and write~
"I will not eat carrots on the plan"
100 times....:)
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Carrots,

Postby Jan » January 1st, 2006, 7:49 pm

Hmmmmm carrots,
Well my old protocal allowed carrots and since I am an oldie I'll have to check the new protocal each time now. Drat I like carrots!! Wonder what else I've been munching that has been eliminated :( You sure I need to write it 100 times ??? That's alot of writing :D
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Gwenski » January 3rd, 2006, 4:30 pm

Great - I want homemade soup AND carrots now!!! Lovely.

Aren't there some dehydrated chunks of carrots in the chilli or is that just my imagination -- I swear their is something orange in there that isn't my Molly McCheese?!?!?

Oh the humanity!
Gwenski

Began July 6, 2005 & Originally lost 131.19#'s
New Start Date: November 8, 2008
Gwenski
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Nancy » January 3rd, 2006, 5:11 pm

Yes, Gwenski, your excellent :shock: eyeballs spied and your discerning tastebuds :tongue: detected those orangey veggie bits in the Medifast Chili!

:secret: There are some little squinchies of carrots in the Minestrone Soup, the Chicky Noodle, Chix With Wild Rice & Veges Soup, the Creamy Italian salad dressing, the Garden Vegetable Snack Crackers, and all three flavors of the snacky slurps of Fast Soups, too.

Carrots are higher in carbohydrates and thus sugary-ier than some of the other veggies so Medifast does not recommend eating them in measurable quantities while on the weight loss phase.

Likewise, red and yellow peppers tend to be higher in carbohydrate content than green peppers.

Mushrooms, onions and peppers are all right for salad toppers but not included in the suggested vegetable list for the larger cooked vegetable portion for that very reason.

Carrots are best set aside temporarily for now and used for folks during the weight management phase. :mrgreen:

Jan, you can come outta your :couch: room now but don't let me catch you with carrot breath! :stickwack:

Lan, oy vey! you can surely have real live homemade chicky soup IF you weigh and measure the protein portion & vegetable properly. :muahaha:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Carrots

Postby Jan » January 3rd, 2006, 5:20 pm

Hmmmm,
Ok no carrots for me. I can deal with the carrot breath -- sugar free mints of course. :mrgreen: But what am I going to do with the tell tale orange stain around my mouth?? :? I'll be caught for sure by the leopardy one with the eagle eyes :shock:
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Gwenski » January 3rd, 2006, 5:23 pm

I knew I was right about why we couldn't have carrots - thanks Nancy!!!

Have yet to freak out and stress when my salad mixes at restraunts and peoples houses have carrot shavings in them. Since cucumbers weren't 86'd too, I will survive!

Someday, we will be reunited in a sweet orange crunchy bliss.

Lan, ship me out some carrot free soup there buddy!!! YUM-OOOO!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Gwenski

Began July 6, 2005 & Originally lost 131.19#'s
New Start Date: November 8, 2008
Gwenski

Postby horsey girl » January 3rd, 2006, 9:45 pm

Gwenski, What is Molly McCheese? It sounds good,or have I been on medifast too long? :shock: Horsey Girl
Ad Astra per Aspera
horsey girl
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby Nancy » January 3rd, 2006, 9:58 pm

:shock: What? Don'tcha know about Molly McButter ™ and Molly McButter™ Cheese flavor sprinkles?

No fat.

Good taste.

5 calories per teaspoon but it really doesn't take that much to add flavor.

Makes grilled fish and vegetables taste GOOD!

It's a little high in sodium and for many of us, Mrs. Dash™ is preferable as it is sodium-free. But hey, it makes ya feel like you are cheatin' a little but doesn't mess with your heart health or your program.

Sprinkle it!

Great! Now there will be a whole boatload of newbie Medifasters running to the grocery store looking for Molly McB & Molly McC, DaVinci Gourmet™ Sugar-free syrups, Butter Buds™, Mrs. Dash™, Magic Bullets™ and Bottle Blenders™...

:runner: :runner: :runner: :runner: :runner: :runner: :runner: :runner:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Nancy » January 4th, 2006, 1:23 am

I have to tell you that I was so freaked about the little carroty shavings in bagged and restaurant salads that I picked out every single one of them.

I was such a Medifast Nazi when I was on the weight loss phase.

If it didn't come in a packet of Medifast, it did not touch my Leopardy Lips. For me I was so out of control with food that I had to be very strict with myself.

I am an all or none sorrta gal. I think I feel so much safer when I know exactly what I can and what I cannot have.

Once I reached my best weight and could have carrots, I really OD'd...Jan, my fingers actually got a bit orangey-yellowy from the carotene like some smokers who are really hittin' the tuhbacky heavily!

Carrots make a return during weight management...during the weight loss phase remember this is merely a temporary vacation from the bunny's favorite crunch...
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Serendipity » January 4th, 2006, 6:11 am

Nancy wrote:I have to tell you that I was so freaked about the little carroty shavings in bagged and restaurant salads that I picked out every single one of them.

I was doing that too, Nancy, until my friends started looking at me funny. Now I have a new strategy! I hide those pesky things under a piece of lettuce, discreetly, of course. I'm like you, can't stand to let anything pass my lips that isn't on that list! I do, however, savour the peas in the Chicken & Wild Rice soup(I think there might be 6, wahoooo) .....mmmmmm.

Nancy wrote: my fingers actually got a bit orangey-yellowy from the carotene

You'd better watch out, you do know how flamingo's get their pink color, right? Hmmmm, never saw a pink leopard.....
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity

Postby Nancy » January 4th, 2006, 11:43 am

'dip ~

:shock: Sheesh!
I do, however, savour the peas in the Chicken & Wild Rice soup(I think there might be 6, wahoooo)

A whoppin' 6? You must have hit the :trophy: Motherlode Jackpot of peas! My packets have about 3 peas.

I hadn't had a :mrgreen: pea for years...hated 'em but when I had my first pea in the Chicken With WILD Soup, it tasted heavenly! :angel:

You are doing so well, I am really truly pock-a-dooly proud of you, 'dipity :bananadance:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby DogMa » January 8th, 2006, 11:29 am

Horsey Girl,

You can also add the Molly McCheese to your broccoli soup packet for a reasonable facsimile of broccoli-cheese soup. Delish!
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Next

Return to Lean Cuisine