QUESTION for those who have treated LEG CRAMPS on MF!

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

QUESTION for those who have treated LEG CRAMPS on MF!

Postby Out*With*The*Old » December 29th, 2007, 10:50 am

OMGosh, I nearly didn't sleep at all last night - I tossed and turned with leg cramps nearly all night. Not the Charlie Horse kind, but the grinding-deep-in-your-leg-achey kind!

So, I am in NEED of a treatment for them - FAST! They still ache today (my calf muscles). I've searched the forum and I know I can have Fast Soup but I don't have any. I *know* I can get potassium OTC but I'd have no clue how much to take - I *know* I can have an off plan nanner (NO WAY!) - I know I can use bullion - but can't find it (or any of the SF syrups, I might add) at my market (maybe they are in a super secret local) - etc. etc.

So, I am seeking tried and true advice from folks who have actually treated leg cramps while on program. PLEASE tell me what you did, how much you did, etc etc. All the nice details, PLEASE!

My legs thank you in advance :-)

Oh - and yes, I'm getting in all of my water. I drink more than the minimum every day - at least 67 ounces a day - some days 85 ounces. My legs have felt achey for a few weeks but 'just a little' - nothing that bugged me. Just enough that I knew they were there. But last night was hell - - I almost took another Nyquil JUST so I could sleep.

Thanks!
Out*With*The*Old
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mike » December 29th, 2007, 11:01 am

Typically, any kind of potassium supplement will work. Also, some of the chunky soups (Maryland Crab for one) has alot of potassium. That is the key.
Your local pharmacy or the health area of the grocery store should have some type of potassium supplement.

Below is a list of high K foods... I deleted the offplan foods from the list.

HIGH potassium (more than 225 milligrams per 1/2 c. serving)

These foods would be beneficial to athletes or to others who incur heavy fluid loss. Patients on potassium-restricted diets should avoid them, or eat them sparingly, as advised by their nutritionist.

All meats, poultry and fish are high in potassium.
Spinach
Tomatoes
Vegetable juice
Winter squash

Hope this helps.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby lifelovinaries » December 29th, 2007, 11:18 am

luckily, i have not had cramps bad enuff to need some kind of remedy. I know my grndmother always recommended apple cider vinegar for leg cramps (she says it works wonders and she had them pretty bad for a while). And, yes, you are safe on the carb front...little to none. They don't even calculate in a tbls. Grandma recommends 3tbls. mxed in water. it's not the best tasting but it sure beats cramps.

restart: 01/04/10
lifelovinaries

Postby bikipatra » December 29th, 2007, 11:54 am

I always just had a pickle spear. Only time I really ever ate them.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby katieb920 » December 29th, 2007, 11:55 am

Hiya,

I have experienced the same problem, And i would eat my Pickles. They have a good source of potassium.

Hope this helps
Katie
katieb920
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Out*With*The*Old » December 29th, 2007, 12:08 pm

Pickles I can do! I'll try that - I'm scared of the OTC supplement. I dont do the 5&1 often so adding those veggies isn't the perfect solution for me. But, I can do the pickles - heck, I actually like pickles! I'm going to go to a new store too and see if I can find bullion - - I just can't believe it would be THAT hard to find!!!
Out*With*The*Old

Postby MerryMary » December 29th, 2007, 5:18 pm

Out*With*The*Old wrote:Pickles I can do! I'll try that - I'm scared of the OTC supplement. I dont do the 5&1 often so adding those veggies isn't the perfect solution for me. But, I can do the pickles - heck, I actually like pickles! I'm going to go to a new store too and see if I can find bullion - - I just can't believe it would be THAT hard to find!!!

Are you primarily doing a 6/0 MF plan? If so, I suggest you report the leg cramps to your doctor. Your potassium levels can get seriously low on the 6/0 which is why it is recommended you only do it under doctor's supervision. You are so right to be wary of OTC potassium supplements ... self-treatment for potassium deficiency is risky business.
MARY
Started MF 11/6/06; reached goal 9/27/07.
MerryMary
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby KellyC » December 31st, 2007, 10:36 am

I have had a problem with leg cramps since I was a teenager.. I would wake screaming from them in the middle of the night, sometimes this still happens.

I've found that if I've had alot of diet soda, tea or coffee (more than 15oz per day), then it makes the cramps worse. I know caffeine is only a mild diuretic, but for some reason it really affects me alot.

Even though you are on 6-0, you can still get some leafy greens in there.. we are allowed 3 condiments per day. There is more potassium in 1 condiment measure of fresh basil, dill or coriander than there is in daily vit/mineral supplements.

Sometimes when I'm really hungry I throw a cup of chopped fresh coriander in the chik noodle along with a touch of bouillon and an extra 4 oz of water, YUM.
KellyC
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby lifelovinaries » December 31st, 2007, 10:48 am

KellyC wrote:I've found that if I've had alot of diet soda, tea or coffee (more than 15oz per day), then it makes the cramps worse. I know caffeine is only a mild diuretic, but for some reason it really affects me alot.

HOW 'BOUT THAT ONE, MS. DIET DR. PEPPER????? You think that little pop top can could be causing you sooo much pain at night? Maybe kelly has provided an easy solution for ya! Then again with your addiction to DDP, maybe it isn't an easy solution. Hey, speaking of diet soda has anyone tried Fresca Blackcherry Citrus? It is DELICIOUS. Tastes kinda like a shirley temple.

restart: 01/04/10
lifelovinaries

Postby bikipatra » December 31st, 2007, 2:31 pm

Sounds great but I have very limited soda offerings here. The corner store can only stock so much and even Peapod (Giant) doesn't have a great selection. This week I stuck with what was on sale and did Diet 7-Up and Diet Cherry Pepsi. WOW. My Vicodin just kicked in....
Last edited by bikipatra on January 1st, 2008, 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Out*With*The*Old » December 31st, 2007, 9:28 pm

Smary Pants Ovary Chick wrote:
KellyC wrote:I've found that if I've had alot of diet soda, tea or coffee (more than 15oz per day), then it makes the cramps worse. I know caffeine is only a mild diuretic, but for some reason it really affects me alot.

HOW 'BOUT THAT ONE, MS. DIET DR. PEPPER????? You think that little pop top can could be causing you sooo much pain at night? Maybe kelly has provided an easy solution for ya! Then again with your addiction to DDP, maybe it isn't an easy solution. Hey, speaking of diet soda has anyone tried Fresca Blackcherry Citrus? It is DELICIOUS. Tastes kinda like a shirley temple.

Actually, I don't think that's it or I would have been having them forever, lol. And cramps or no cramps, I ain't giving up my DDP!!!!!!!!!!! It's like the only real food I have left, lol
Out*With*The*Old

Postby Mike » January 1st, 2008, 3:35 am

KellyC wrote:Sometimes when I'm really hungry I throw a cup of chopped fresh coriander in the chik noodle along with a touch of bouillon and an extra 4 oz of water, YUM.

Holy shmoley thats alot of coriander. I'm not so sure I could handle a cup, but when ya got leg cramps I guess you can do just about anything.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby KellyC » January 1st, 2008, 11:36 am

I love coriander, i can eat it plain. :)
it really mellows out when you put it in a hot soup though.

Actually, I don't think that's it or I would have been having them forever, lol.

If you want to think that way, then it must be something you've changed very recently that is giving you the cramps.

More likely, it is something you have been doing all along that is catching up to you.
KellyC
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Serendipity » January 1st, 2008, 2:33 pm

Ok, I havent tried this, but I've read it a million times so it must work. Now, don't laugh.......try putting a bar of soap under your sheet near your feet. I don't know why it works, but it does.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Out*With*The*Old » January 1st, 2008, 3:08 pm

Serendipity wrote:Ok, I havent tried this, but I've read it a million times so it must work. Now, don't laugh.......try putting a bar of soap under your sheet near your feet. I don't know why it works, but it does.

WOW - who knew?!? I googled it and there are tons of people who swear by it! I'm going to give it a try. I only had them really bad that one night but even during the day I can 'tell my legs are there'. I'm not miserable - but its there, ya know? So I will try this and report back in a few days!

Thanks, Jo!
Out*With*The*Old

Next

Return to Weight Loss