Question on Change in MF Rules - 3 Shakes a Day or No?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Question on Change in MF Rules - 3 Shakes a Day or No?

Postby BerkshireGrl » February 20th, 2005, 10:15 am

Hey everybody!

I read here that MF has changed their rules from Out of your 5-7 MF meals a day, at least 3 must be shakes to Just eat 5-7 MF meals on the Complete Program or 5 MF Meals plus your Lean & Green on the 5 & 1 Plan.

I just ordered a big bunch of MF foods yesterday (yeay!) with the understanding that on the Complete Program that I am about to go back on, 3 of the meals must still be shakes. I thought I read somewhere that this "no 3 shakes needed anymore" change was only effective if people were on the 5 & 1 Plan... Am I going nutty, or has this change been made official across the board? :)

From the TSFL FAQ page:
What is the difference between shakes and alternate products?
Medifast shakes include all flavors of the Medifast 55, Medifast 70 and Medifast Plus. Shakes should be used for at least three of your supplements each day.
Alternate products are supplements that may be substituted in place of a shake once or twice a day. These include Medifast Supplement bars, Creamy soups, Chili, Oatmeal, and Hot cocoa.

From the Medifast Support/FAQ page:
What is the difference between shakes and alternate products?
Medifast shakes include all flavors of the Medifast 55, Medifast 70 and Medifast Plus. Shakes should be used for at least three of your supplements each day.

From the MakeMeThinner.com front page:
With our support and guidance, you'll be having a delicious shake or meal replacement* EVERY 3 hours to induce a very mild state of ketosis.
*5-7 meal replacements/day - Minimum 3 shakes/day - Max 1 bar/day

Nancy, can you please give us the Word Up on this? :mrgreen: If I am on the Full Fast plan, can I have whatever 5-6 MF meals a day I want? Or do I need to still have at least 3 shakes a day?

I like the shakes and find it easy to have them all while at my crazy high-paced job, so I won't suffer if the answer is I still need 3 a day :) Just wanna be sure I'm doing this correctly!

Thanks!
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

hi

Postby NikkiNix » February 20th, 2005, 11:23 am

Hi Berkshire,

I am not Nacny but I had the same exact question a while ago because I am also on the full-fast and she assured me that it has changed you are allowed any of the five or six supps. a day with the exception of the bars.
You can have 5 chillis a day or 5 oatmeal or any combo of 5 you would like. I personally think it's still better to get atleast 3 cold shakes in a day because you lose some of the nutriants when you heat stuff up. Just my 2 cents worth.

Good Luck,
Nikki
Today is the first day of the rest of my life!
NikkiNix
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby smartiegrrl » February 20th, 2005, 11:50 am

The non-shake meals have different calories, protein and carb amounts from the shakes. My guess that the rule came from the idea that if you are on the MF70, you may not get enough protein/nutrients if you eat 5 soups day in day out. Likewise on the MF 55, you may be getting too much protein/calories if you eat soups everyday.

I'm sure if you eat 5 soups or puddings in one day every once in a awhile, its not going to matter much, but the shakes are the core of the plan for a reason.
~sg

(6/26/06) 230/225/130
smartiegrrl

Postby 24KaratGold » February 20th, 2005, 11:58 am

Nancy posted the following:
The Protocol for the 5 & 1 Protocol has been changed.

Dr. Andersen writes,

"After extensive review, including input from Johns Hopkins University, we are excited to announce a change in our 5 & 1 protocol. Your clients are no longer restricted to 3 cold shakes per day. They can choose any product from our large variety of complete Medifast meals to fulfill their 5 meal replacements each day."

Please note: Even though you may have five servings of Cappuccino or whatever combinaton of products you'd prefer a day, you may NOT have 5 bars a day! The bar rule still applies: One a day.

http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1936
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby jene115 » February 20th, 2005, 12:04 pm

I was under the impression that for the complete program, you need 5-6 MF supplements, 3 of which should be shakes.

Jen
Jen
03/01/08
"I'm stronger than my cravings!"
jene115
Preferred member

Postby smartiegrrl » February 20th, 2005, 12:55 pm

24KaratGold wrote:Nancy posted the following:
The Protocol for the 5 & 1 Protocol has been changed.

Dr. Andersen writes,

"After extensive review, including input from Johns Hopkins University, we are excited to announce a change in our 5 & 1 protocol. Your clients are no longer restricted to 3 cold shakes per day. They can choose any product from our large variety of complete Medifast meals to fulfill their 5 meal replacements each day."

Please note: Even though you may have five servings of Cappuccino or whatever combinaton of products you'd prefer a day, you may NOT have 5 bars a day! The bar rule still applies: One a day.

http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1936

Oh thats just for the 5 and 1 tho - does it apply to the full fast?
~sg

(6/26/06) 230/225/130
smartiegrrl

Postby Nancy » March 20th, 2005, 4:28 pm

Hi, Kids ~

Yes, the protocol is the same for either the 5 and 1 or the Complete Program - any combination of products will do.

The shakes have the highest soy content of any of the products; cold products have the most nutrients.

Soy is a natural appetite suppressant so the more shakes you have, the less hunger you'll experience. ;)
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

How many shakes?

Postby SunnyV » March 22nd, 2005, 3:33 pm

Hi Berkshire!

I'm a newbie here, but I wondered the same thing when I started 2 weeks ago. I called a Medifast 800 number and was given the same info-on the full fast, any 5-6 meal replacements, but with only one bar a day. I can also vouch for good results! I have been on the program for 16 days and (not to toot my own horn) I have lost 20 lbs :D It has been relatively easy!

This is my routine:

8 am oatmeal and a cup of coffee with a tiny bit of half n half and splenda
11 am soup
1 pm shake
4 pm bar
6 or 7 pm chili and crackers
2 stalks of celery

On the weekend I add a few of those SF bread and butter pickles and add a shake in place of the soup or just add an extra shake if there is a lot of food around. Sorry to go on and on, I'm just really excited with my results and how great I feel. I still have (sigh) 127 lbs to go, but I feel like I can do it this time! I have been on the outside looking in on your forum for weeks, it has been such a wonderful support to me :D
SunnyV
Newbie - #30 Club

Re: How many shakes?

Postby BerkshireGrl » March 22nd, 2005, 7:33 pm

Sunny V,

Hi back! Welcome aboard!

You are doing AWESOME! Wowie...

It IS indeed easy, as long as you can get your bean around the plan. Glad to have you here with us!

Keep chugging, and those pesky 127 pounds remaining will be a distant memory. :)
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » March 22nd, 2005, 11:08 pm

SunnyV ~

Welcome to you!

We are happy for your decision to get the job done and for your excellent weight loss progress.

Your schedule is great - something sliding down the throat every three hours is the way to prevent hunger and the body from storing energy.

You will surely be able to realize your goal of a healthy body by fall!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Weight Loss