question about water

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

question about water

Postby AMANDA » May 13th, 2004, 10:30 am

Hello Again,
I haven't received my MF yet but it should be here soon I hope. I'm trying to prepare myself to start my MF and I've taken a few suggestions like-
1. clean out a cupboard just for my MF products so when I open it I'm not tempted by other foods.
2. Prepare my self mentally by having a support group (you guys) and friends/family members.
3. I've been trying to drink more water, but this is hard for a person who sometimes would go whole days without drinking any water.
I've cut back on diet soda and started to replace it with water, but I only drank 1or 2 cans a day anyways. These are my questions does the 64 oz of H20 have to be plain water? Can it be the flavored walmart kind or h20 in boullion, or does is it have to be 64oz of plain water? I'm drinking more but still not up to 64 oz, but when my MF comes I will make myself drink that much and more. Also any other suggestions to help prepare me. I plan on suceeding but to make it an easier transition maybe?
I've read there are concerns with fiber in the diet and constipation, should I start taking a natural laxative when I start my MF shakes or is everyone different?
All the help or comments you cna give are greatly appreciated, I am very excited and I want this to work for me so anything I can do to better prepare myself during or before will greatly help me.

thanks again,
Amanda
AMANDA

Postby Landylue » May 13th, 2004, 11:11 am

Some people sprinkle a bit of Crystal Lite into their water or add a slice of lemon or lime just to add flavor. You'll settle into how you like it best after awhile. I think it will surprise you how much you will 'crave' water once you start drinking it. I used to really put away several bottles a day of the flavored waters that Wal-Mart sells, but then again the carbonation isn't supposed to be good for your bones. The canned diet sodas are loaded with sodium which plays havoc with your fluid retention.

So, as boring as plain water might seem at first, it really is the best thing for you.

Good luck on your fast.

Landylue
Failure is NOT an option!
Landylue
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Sylvia » May 13th, 2004, 11:16 am

The other thing I'd add about water is that it REALLY helps your weight loss. I've been in the habit of drinking at least 64 oz for a long time but have actually upped my intake to more than double that since I started Medifast. I notice that now, when I drink less water I lose less weight.

I also checked out a weight loss program at a local hospital and they said that while they recommend 64 oz per day, that is really a minimum and that you should divide your weight by 2 and shoot for that many ounces.

I know none of this is what you want to hear, but Landy is absolutely right - you really do get used to it and it becomes second nature.

Good Luck!
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby explorthis » May 13th, 2004, 11:17 am

I shall be glad to take this question. My answer differs from the gracious host (Nancy) however; I think any option you chose, since you seem to be a “non water consumer” would be acceptable.

64oz min of pure water is the requirement.

I like water, occasionally soda, and Wal-Mart flavored water. As long as you are consuming 64oz (you really need more) of fluid you are OK. Any of the “liquids” need to me all ZERO’s across the board, with exception to sodium. Even the Wally Water has sodium in it.

Water does get boring, but you need liquid. Since you’re not a water person, get in what ever you can, even if it includes diet soda, or Wally Water. No one can force you to drink it, but your body will suffer. You will not get enough “fluid” during this program. Most everything you consume has some sort of liquid in it. Since you are consuming only Medifast, you need more. Since you are making the commitment to do Medifast, go all the way, commit all the way, water is part of the commitment!

Bottom line, Mikes rule, get it how you can get it!

I can tell you this with all sincerity; you need the fluid in your body. Don’t skimp in this area.

Jeanette has a little saying that makes me laugh. “My goal is to have clear pee every day”

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby cdixon » May 13th, 2004, 11:19 am

I am in day 4 of the program so I am not an expert at it yet but I have a suggestion as far as water goes if you are concerned that you won't drink enough.

I have at my desk at work a jug that contains exactly 64oz. I put water in it every morning. I pour the water in my cup full of ice (have to refill the ice often) all day. I make sure I don't leave for the day until it is all gone.
Then when I get home I have a glass of water with dinner and a glass of water with my snack. This way I know that I am getting the 64oz (the jug) plus more (the ice that melts) plus more (the water with dinner & snack). I also have a jug at home that I will be using for the weekends.

Luckily I am not too far from a bathroom! :lol:

Good Luck! Shake it UP!
Christina
Start Date 05/10/04
250/240/Goal#1 is 200 and after I get there...
cdixon
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby AMANDA » May 13th, 2004, 11:25 am

lemme do some quick math herr my weight divided by 2 that means I'd should be drinking 125 oz of h20 a day, that's double the amount i'm trying to get down now (64oz). I know water is healthy and it does make me feel better when I drink it, it's just getting used to that slush slush noise/feeling in your stomach. lol. :guzzle:

did anyone do anything else besided drink more water to help them prepare for their MF.
AMANDA

Postby Carrie » May 13th, 2004, 11:33 am

Hi Amanda,
I have to side with the others, the more water I drink the more I lose. I usually get between 100-120oz a day. Fortunately, this is just what my body needs and I find myself reaching for the glass without thinking about it. I keep a diary, and have a 20oz glass - every time I empty it I make a litttle tick mark. That was necessary in the beginning, and still sometimes today, just to make sure I'm keeping my consumption up there.

The last few days I have been extraordinarily busy at work and slacked off on the water. My body has noticed and I've actually gained weight. I think my body thinks we're having a drought and it's holding on to it. So.... the more you drink, the more you'll lose.

I'm not the right person to ask about preparing for MF. I used waiting for my MF package as an excuse to go on a 5 day almost-of-biblical-proportions binge. Boy was my body shocked when I started the fast!!!!

Drink the water!
Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie

Postby Marseilles » May 13th, 2004, 2:48 pm

When they are right, they are right....

I was advised by my good doc as well that 1/2 my bodyweight in oz of the good H2O is a good place to start..for those of you that have some troubles drinking the water, I agree with Mike..get it where you can. I think you will find that the more you are on medifast the more you will want water..and when you get used to it, it is truly refreshing.

I have also found one product and I dunno if I can say the name or not, so forgive me Mr. Snippy, if not..but fruit2O..its flavored, sweetened with splenda and if you buy the fruit2O plus, it has good stuff added, vitamins and the like.. available at a popular and well known discount club by the case...

Also, to ensure I get a minimum of 100oz a day I buy the water in a 20oz bottle and make sure I drink 5 a day..the size is a good fit in the hand and doesnt seem so overwhelming as having a big ole' jug in front of me.

Just a suggestion..

-M. the hydrated!

:)
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby cdixon » May 13th, 2004, 3:08 pm

Guess I better start drinking more water --- from what everyone says I should be drinking 125oz of water per day.

Whew -- I am already going to the bathroom every 30 minutes (no lie) and I have what Nancy calls the screamin' dirties from the diet change and the extra water intake.

Oh well -- guess it is better than the other way around.
Christina
Start Date 05/10/04
250/240/Goal#1 is 200 and after I get there...
cdixon
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » July 3rd, 2004, 11:49 am

Aloha gang, :wave:

Thought I'd share an email I got from a friend about water:

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
2. In 37% of Americans the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.
3. Even mild dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.
4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.
5. Lack of water is the number one trigger of daytime fatigue.
6. Preliminary research indicates that eight to ten glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on a computer screen or printed page.
8. Drinking five glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%. It can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Don't know about you, but this only fuels my conviction to keep drinking "nature's champagne". :pour:

Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot

Postby Echo » July 4th, 2004, 10:35 pm

Water is wonderful for us, for all the reasons listed above. Once you get in the habit of drinking water you will prefer it. I love Smartwater, you can find it in the health food isle, usually. The flavored ones are delicious.

Most people can list the benefits of water, but it can also be dangerous. Too much water can decrease the levels of sodium and potassium in your blood through dilution, creating what is called hyponatremia or water intoxication.

This is especially dangerous for children and athletes, but as a nurse I have seen people develop this condition when they were trying to deliberately increase their H20 to beat a urine drug test, they were tripping on extacy or because they wanted all the help they could get to lose weight.

The symptoms are progressive, but may start with generally not feeling well then advance to dizziness, confusion, vomiting, seizures and in the worst case death.

At a minimum we should have 64 oz. How much everyone needs varies but the weight/2 is gaining alot of support. Drinking a lot of water all at once or losing water and sodium through sweating (working out, yard work) and replacing only with water increases the risk of developing hyponatremia. If you are going to drink a lot of water be sure to increase your electrolytes, especially sodium, as well.

I don't think that this is something we should worry about, just be aware of.
Echo
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Triskets » August 4th, 2004, 8:32 am

I agree with everyone else about the more water you drink, the more you crave. There is another wonderful benefit - when you are hydrated, your skin won't wrinkle as much as someone who is not a big water drinker!
I'm 48 and have minimal wrinkles! YAHOO!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Trish
Pound by pound my weight is coming down!
Start over 2/9/2008
268/252
Triskets
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Return to Weight Loss