Potassium boost for leg cramps

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Potassium boost for leg cramps

Postby raederle » January 10th, 2005, 1:04 pm

Hi everyone,

We all know that MF tends to dehydrate, causing electrolyte loss that can lead to nasty leg cramps. We also know that MF fast soups and bouillion are a great (and yummy) way to replenish sodium and potassium. I just wanted to pass along another option for getting more potassium, and it's painless! Morton's makes a "light" version of its table salt that I've found in my grocery store. It's cheap, and it replaces some of the sodium chloride with potassium chloride-- so in every 1/4 teaspoon (or "snort," right Nancy?!), you get a bonus 10% USRDA of potassium. To me, the taste is indistinguishable from "real" salt, so I use it directly in my soups, chili, and on greens to get an extra kick.

Since using the light salt and having a fast soup per day (and drinking gobs of water...!), my leg and toe (!) cramps have completely gone away. I'm so happy!

Just thought I'd pass it on to anyone else who can't seem to get rid of the crampies...

:D
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Carrie » January 10th, 2005, 1:28 pm

Thanks for this advice, this is a problem I deal with too - especially in the middle of my Pilates workout! I'm gonna try it right away!
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby raederle » January 10th, 2005, 1:55 pm

Oh man, it was terrible for me! I'd be sitting on the couch watching tv and my big toe would suddenly cramp up-- I'd leap off the couch and hop around like my butt was on fire... But at least I got some exercise! Climbing stairs would give me afwul calf cramps, too; I'd have to stop at the top and massage myself. People gave me weird looks, that's for sure...

Maybe stocking up on bouillion/fastsoups with lite salt and having lots of water right before your workout would help, if you're not already doing that?

Congrats, by the way, on 60 pounds lost!!! That's awesome!!! :o
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby Nancy » January 13th, 2005, 10:55 pm

Great idea about the Morton Light Salt.

Some people do get frequent leg cramps. I got them on our trip to Las Vegas this week - lots of extra hiking, standing and dancing (busting my tiney hiney to keep up with Mike's long legs!) found me awakening early one morning with thigh crampage and me with NO Fast Soup - argh!!!
What I would have given for a salt lick!

[I used the Morton Light salt in our household for a while because the Boys here use way too much sodium. I filled the salt shaker with half regular salt and half Morton Light salt initially to see if I could sneak it by them, then switched over totally to the Light Salt. Then I realized those scamps were using twice as much salt as normal...

I rarely salt my food so I wasn't getting the potassium I needed so I just use the Fast Soups.]
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Leg Cramps

Postby JenJen4402 » February 25th, 2005, 2:42 pm

Thank you..Thank you..Thank you. I had leg cramps so bad last night and still have them today. I am going to try this as soon as I get home.
JenJen4402

Postby jene115 » February 25th, 2005, 7:14 pm

Just a note: I'm on blood pressure medicine, a diuretic and a potassium supplement all for high blood pressure and one thing I was told by my doctor and my pharmacist was do not use lite salt when you are on blood pressure medicine. It can make you really light headed with the meds. I told her I never use salt, so it's not an issue with me. I haven't taken my potassium supplement for days (it's a horse pill) and no leg cramps, I think beause I get enough potassium in the MF shakes and stuff. My potassium level is good anyway. I used to get leg cramps at night and they were torture!

This is only if you're on blood pressure meds though. Check with your doctor.

Just a public service message from Jen :mrgreen:
Jen
03/01/08
"I'm stronger than my cravings!"
jene115
Preferred member

Postby smartiegrrl » February 26th, 2005, 11:17 pm

Have you guys seen Smart Water by Glaceau? Its got some electrolytes in it, potassium being one, but I haven't been able to find the exact PPM/serving. I really don't know if its helping me or not, but I'm not getting cramps at all anymore. I also put fast soup in with my soup and I have soup pretty much everyday as well.
~sg

(6/26/06) 230/225/130
smartiegrrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby raederle » February 27th, 2005, 8:53 am

Haven't seen it yet, but hey, if it works...! I'll keep an eye out; it's always hard for me, dieting or not, to get enough potassium. Thanks for the tip!
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby Spunky » February 28th, 2005, 8:19 pm

raederle, Thanks so much for the leg cramp info. I am a member of that club also.
You always have such wonderful comments to say to everyone, I appreciate you. Keep up the good work kiddo.
Happy Trails Y'all......... Spunky

258/238/148healthy
Spunky
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby raederle » March 1st, 2005, 6:45 am

Awwww... thanks! That made my day! :mrgreen:
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby purplepansy » March 13th, 2005, 7:31 pm

I know this sounds odd but.... I get muscle spasm's in my left upper arm. When it first happened to me I was pregnant with my daughter 19yrs ago. Then it happened again with my 15yo. My doctor said it sounds more like tennis elbow. But as I did research I found that the upper muscle in my arm goes into a spasm when I'm low on potassium. I started a diuretic for high BP and it did it again. I also get them in my legs, thank goodness not at the same time!!!.
Purple~
205/195/128

Curvy Vixen waiting to be emerged
purplepansy
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » March 14th, 2005, 11:36 am

Potassium is definately the answer for muscle spasms and cramps.

I used to hike heavily, and found especially when you're a little damp from perspiration or your clothing is wet, it really accented the problem. I think the wicking action from the moisture compounds things.

A couple banana's (not on the plan) or potassium tablets would bring almost immediate relief.

I'm sure the fast soups would have the same effect.
(Wish i'd have had them back then...:))
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby babiette » March 31st, 2005, 3:50 pm

1/4 cup of cooked spinach or 1 cup raw has almost twice as much potassium as 1 small banana. If you're following the 5-1 plan, throw some spinach leaves in your salad every day and you can kiss those cramps good-bye. Another favourite way to eat spinach is to puree it in some chicken broth -cream of spinach soup. And best of all, it won't throw you out of ketosis the way even a few bites of a banana can.
babiette
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Nancy » March 31st, 2005, 9:49 pm

babiette ~

Welcome to you!

Great idea about adding pureed spinach to the chicken broth. I love spinach and eat a wad every day in my salad...your suggestion just might be a tasty and healthful addition for the Chicken With Wild Rice soup or the Chicken Noodly soup. Thank you! :bib:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Weight Loss