Positive Thinking when facing negative thoughts

Need a lift? Drop in to see some of our most popular posts.

Positive Thinking when facing negative thoughts

Postby Mike » February 4th, 2008, 9:06 am

This was the Support in Motion thought of the day today. Thought I'd share it with those who don't have it sent to them. If you don't and you are with TSFL, make sure to sign up with tsflsupportinmotion DOT com

:mrgreen:

The Power of Positive Thinking

Does positive thinking mean looking at the world through rose-colored glasses? Not at all! However, it does mean taking our negative thoughts and reframing them in a more constructive light. Your negative thoughts are probably characterized by at least one of these common fallacies:

* All-or-nothing thinking - “I ate a pint of ice cream. What’s the use of trying?”
* Jumping to conclusions - “My boss just criticized my report. He’s going to fire me!”
* Overgeneralization - just about any statement that includes always or never
* Discounting the positive - ignoring the ten people who have complimented your weight loss and dwelling on the rude comment from a stranger on the street.
* Personalization - “My child is having difficulty in school, so I must be a terrible parent.”
* Labeling - “I’m a big, fat loser.”

Start paying attention to these negative-thinking pitfalls so you can turn them around to give yourself and others a more positive outlook on life.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby KellyC » February 4th, 2008, 1:38 pm

Thanks Mike. I do use SiM, but I unsubcribed from the daily thoughts because it just gets lost in my daily email shuffle. I often forget to read the thought of the day on the website too.

I have been trying to be more positive in everything I do lately.. I just accomplished this before my break.. I was starting to dwell on the thought that I would really like to kick my co-worker in the head because he's a big dumb misogynistic idiot, and I stopped myself and smiled at the thought of only 52 more minutes until it's time to go home. :)
KellyC
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Joy » February 4th, 2008, 10:15 pm

I loved this and found it really enlightening.
Joy
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Return to The Elevator