Facing challenges

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Facing challenges

Postby Jeanette » November 13th, 2003, 11:48 am

Hi y'all--

I am facing some challenges in the next few days:

--a fundraising event with food on Saturday night
--my niece's christening on Sunday
--keeping my husband from finding out I am on Medifast

I know, the last one sounds weird, but for alot of reasons, I do not want him to know right now. And that is the challenge that bothers me the most right now. I know I won't be able to hide this from him forever, but for now I want it to be that way. I have been able to hide it so far.

Anyhoo, does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

Jeanette :star:
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Ellen » November 13th, 2003, 3:35 pm

Jeanette,
I can sympathize, I had several challenges in the first few weeks and I can remember really stressing over them, but I was more worried about "appearances" than handling the food. I have this strange obsession with not telling anyone other than my husband and kids about the diet. Even my step-daughter who lives 10 minutes away and with whom I spend quite a bit of time, doesn't know about the plan. I think that in some ways worrying about people knowing I was on the plan somehow distracted me from worrying about the food too much!!

My best advice is beverages. Have a shake before you leave home so that you aren't too hungry. Bring a bar with you in case you get too hungry or get delayed, or keep a Ready-to-drink shake out in the car. Keep a beverage in your hand the whole time you're at these events. Circulate a lot and no one may realize that you aren't eating. If nothing else, say that your stomach feels just a little "off" and you're trying not to eat anything too heavy -- then move around some more. Sipping diet soda, or coffee or tea makes you appear to be partaking, but not "blowing" the plan. If push comes to shove, fix a plate and carry it around. If they have veggies and dip, that is perfect. Put some carrots and celery sticks on your plate along with some other odds and ends (but no favorites!!) and walk around munching on the celery -- then when no one is looking, pitch the plate.

Offer to help in the kitchen, or watch some of the other kids at the christening... any thing that keep you busy.

Once you start to have some successes at "ducking" food, your confidence will grow.

I had my grandson's birthday at my step-daughter's house about a week into the program. I was sure my cover was going to be blown, but no one noticed. I made the cake (and survived without tasting!!). When it came time to eat, I fixed plates for my kids and then grabbed myself a diet soda and moved into the living room. Yeah, my kids are old enough to fix their own plates, but it put me in the kitchen near the food, and I'm sure everyone assumed that I was fixing my own plate... No one noticed or questioned me. I got more confident after that. When the time for cake came, I said that I was watching my carbs and I had had enough "junk" already (hey, I've had plenty of junk in my life so I've had more than enough!). If pressed, I would have taken a piece and walked out to the living room and sat it down while I went to get a soda, then later, toss it!

My second big challenge worried me for over a week. We had a pharmaceutical rep bringing in lunch at work. We're a small office with 5 people, it is very hard to dodge things there. The "deal" really is that they bring you lunch so that they can "buy" and hour of your time to "talk-up" their products. I absolutely couldn't leave, couldn't figure out a way out of it. Finally, I fixed a plate and carried it to my desk and sat it down. I came back in and grabbed a diet soda and talked to the rep for a while, then talked to my co-workers then wandered up to my desk to "make a phone call". I stashed the plate in my desk drawer and wrapped it up later to take the "leftovers" home to my husband. (I could have just pitched it, but I knew he'd love it!).

As for your husband, that has to be the hardest one. I guess the best things I can think of is the chicken noodle soup and oatmeal. If you're eating with him, fix one of these and it will appear like regular food. I don't know your exact situation, but if you can at least say that you are dieting in some way, that has to help. If you can be "watching your carbs" or something, it at least explains a little bit why you aren't eating some things.

If push comes to shove and you are backed into a corner, you can always save this for an emergency... You can tell people (if really pushed) that you're having a medical test done on Monday and you need to be on clear liquids for two days. Many docs have you take clear liquids for two days before a routine screening colonoscopy. :oops:

My mind works overtime and I think out scenarios, but you'd be amazed at how little attention that people pay to what you are eating!

Good Luck with your challenges, I'm sure you'll do great!
Ellen
Ellen
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Stashing the Stuff

Postby Nancy » November 13th, 2003, 7:47 pm

Howdy Doody, Jeanette ~

Sometimes we get more worried and stressed out during the anticipation of the event than the actual event turns out to be. It IS important, however, to plan ahead and you are doing the right thing! This will also help you in the years to come AFTER you lose the unwanted poundage and are maintaining your healthy weight.

I always try to be seen around the food - I serve others. I fix plates for the children or for older people that may be trying to balance a cane and a plate. I offer to hold babies or feed little ones so that the new mothers can have a little break. I carry a coffee carafe or a pot of water in my hand to freshen up people's beverages. I help clean up after the meal is over and it seems that no one is ever the wiser.

Those husbands can surely be a little harder to deal with but again, if you are seen with food, sometimes you can avoid having to actually eat in front of him.

I had a friend that wanted to take me out for lunch. When she arrived to my office door I told her that I had been so hungry that I couldn't wait and when someone from the other office brought around a goody, I succumbed. When we went out, I asked her if it would be all right for me to order a dinner salad, with dressing on the side and a pot of tea. I avoid using the word "just" as in, "Just a salad" or "Just a plate of steamed veggies" - "just" seems to focus on the fact that you're ordering a small amount.

Many places are very happy to bring a large plate of steamed veggies these days. You can always stab at them and move them around a lot and manage to eat 1-2 cups of broccoli or cauliflower and do no damage to your eating plan.

If you go to a movie, bring some candy bars and stash them in your pocket along with a Medifast bar. Dole out the candy bars to him and you eat your Medifast bar. Let the husband eat the popcorn and you sip on a bottle of water, a cup of coffee or a diet pop. He won't even know that your bar came in a Mylar wrapper!

In due time, you'll HAVE to tell him because he won't be able to find you! You'll be so teensy! Just be sure to learn how to run real fast - he'll be after you, that's for sure!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Lois » November 14th, 2003, 6:46 am

Good luck this weekend, Jeannette!!!

I know you're gonna do GREAT!!!! 8)

hugs,

Lois
Lois
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Jeanette » November 14th, 2003, 7:54 am

Thanks for all the great advice. I feel more prepared now! :D

Jeanette

Did he find out yet?

Postby Nancy » November 17th, 2003, 10:12 pm

Jeanette,

Did you make it through the christening?

The food event at school?

Have you managed to keep your eating plan from your husband so far?
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Jeanette » November 18th, 2003, 7:48 am

Hey Nancy:

Check out my "Rollercoaster Weekend Post"--it's all there!
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette

Return to Weight Loss